Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2016, 08:49 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I've seen this guys videos and he does a decent job. However, I do take some issue with his "tank flushers" findings. Anyone who thinks that the clear "flushers" and the Sewer Solution are built to actually clean a black tank needs a reality check. They are built more for cleaning the discharge hose and fittings close to the outlet, not the tank. You can't compare those items to an installed tank rinser...no way.

You are correct, it is really not a comparison. I agree though, he does a decent job, and more importantly makes a good point. However, his tank flusher findings do show the layman the point of how the Sewer Solution and clear flushers do not work for cleaning a tank and mainly just clean the hoses and fittings, yet cleaning a tank is exactly what their packaging and advertising says they do.

Even more so, an installed tank rinser cannot be compared to a uni directional pressure rinse nozzle put down through the toilet and used to spray out the contents once the tank is emptied.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
Even more so, an installed tank rinser cannot be compared to a uni directional pressure rinse nozzle put down through the toilet and used to spray out the contents once the tank is emptied.
I'm curious. Why do you say this? Seems to me this would be a better comparison than an installed tank rinser vs SS. I actually thought that was one product missing from his tests because it's been around longer than any of the other items.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
I'm curious. Why do you say this? Seems to me this would be a better comparison than an installed tank rinser vs SS. I actually thought that was one product missing from his tests because it's been around longer than any of the other items.

I guess I shouldn't say it cannot be compared. I have used a unidirectional high pressure spray nozzle for years. Long before they were made and sold on the open market.
It would be a good comparison, showing a healthy pressure spray wand being able to turn it and concentrate spray and get a good thorough rinse. I am sure this method would beat the installed rinse nozzles like the one he tested.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #24

The three travel trailers I've owned have all had black tanks out of line with the discharge pipe - the discharge pipe has a tee that goes one way to the black tank and the other to the grey - so shooting water straight up the discharge pipe isn't going to help anything except to clean the discharge pipe.

I just bought the Sewer Solution for two reasons: Easier to store and no need for a hose support system. An added benefit is that if the sewer is elevated at all relative to the discharge, it doesn't matter since the SS can (they say) push up to 3' up. I've had one sewer thus far that the hose/support had a hard time dealing with, so it's not a big issue, but nice to not have anymore. The space and not having to deal with support systems are huge to me however.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:10 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marci V View Post
Hello. First time owner with basic questions. Any and all advice is welcomed.
1. Do I really need RV TP to prevent clogs?
2. Anyone ever use Flushable toilet bowl cleaning wands on TT?
3. Do the chemical treatments work fast enough to break down solids in tanks for weekend trips.
4. How do you store the sewer connector (elbow)? I was thinking of an airtight plastic box. Is this a mistake?
5. When disconnecting the drain hose, any advice for cleaning prior to storage?
6. The two part sewer hose I bought doesn't fit in the bumper when the two sections are connected. I was worried that if put them in both ends of the bumper, one might slide to the center during travel & be hard to remove. Is this a real concern or not?
My opinions on your questions:
1. Per the fitrv videos, just get septic safe TP. Costco brand has been fine for us. BUT: if your plumbing takes a turn from the toilet to the tank, a heavy user of TP runs a greater chance of clogging things. RV paper is much thinner, so potentially a big user may still not be flushing as much at one time. And plungers don't work on RV toilets. But for most normal use, any septic safe TP works fine.
2. We used a wand for our first season. The pads are just another thing that can contribute to plugs when trying to drain your tank (and I won't gross you out telling you how I learned this). Just don't do it.
3. I've seen no benefit to routine use of chems. There are specialized cleaners for the sensors that do seem to help, but that is a separate cleaning project that takes time to carry out, not something for regular use.
4. I use a small clear plastic box to store the parts. One with a lid that has snapping latches. Being airtight is of no concern.
5. Make sure to close your gray tank valves the day before leaving. After dumping your black tank, then drain your gray. The soapy shower/kitchen water will do a pretty good job of flushing the hose. Some then close the gray, partially fill the tanks with fresh by letting a faucet run, and then use that as a final rinse. Others disconnect from the trailer, and then run water in the end to flush it. I've gotten to the point where I skip that, the first dump of the gray tanks is good enough for me.
6. I haven't had any issues with sliding, it seems to stay pretty well in place. But, you will want to get a longer hose or another extension. If you aren't almost filling your bumper end to end, you will likely find yourself at a campground where your hose is too short someday.... (I assume you can keep the hoses you've got connected, and they still fit into the bumper. If you can't, then you really should get a longer hose or hoses that will fit).
Also, get a spare end cap for the bumper, or drill some small holes so you can pin the cap on with a piece of coat hanger. Mine have not ever come off while on the road, but just in case....(mine always seem to disappear overnight in campgrounds).
Old 06-28-2016, 08:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
You are correct, it is really not a comparison. I agree though, he does a decent job, and more importantly makes a good point. However, his tank flusher findings do show the layman the point of how the Sewer Solution and clear flushers do not work for cleaning a tank and mainly just clean the hoses and fittings, yet cleaning a tank is exactly what their packaging and advertising says they do.

I agree. And he just made me laugh. I enjoyed his videos and learned something. They are not perfect, do not cover every possible scenario, but what he did demonstrate was good info, when combined with ones own experiences, can help draw your own conclusion. I wish he had one that showed if the ice helps clean sensors. Still searching my new favorite site! Thanks for all the well thought out answers. RV peeps are just the nicest folks.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:54 AM   #27

Thanks all for the info. This isn't my thread, but being new as well, I found all the discussion and ideas very useful.
Thyamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #28

I take a tip from the GEO method and use Calgon water softener to keep the sides of my black tank slick. https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

I also throw some Happy Camper down there. I really like this stuff.
https://www.5starhappycamper.com/

I always use my black tank flush as well. I always see more 'stuff' let loose during my black tank flush. Finally I'll close the black valve while the flush is still doing its thing and let the tank fill a bit before opening it up one final time.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote