Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

Dish tv hookup question

I have a Furion tv and receiver in my Whitehawk. Bought a Dish tv antenna and receiver. Anyone know how to hook the darn things up to my trailer system. I set it up by itself outside and it works fine.
gmortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #2

Can you tell us what connections you have outside and also what connections you have behind the tv inside?

Outside I have 3, a SAT, Cable and AUX. inside I have only 2, a AUX/SAT and ANT. I need to connect my Dishtv to the AUX outside and then the dish receiver to the AUX/SAT inside. Then the dish receiver to the TV. ( I suspect my outside are miss-wired)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #3

Outside has two coax jacks - one is antenna input, other is outside tv output. Tv has one coax input from roof tv antenna/antenna amp and a flat connector cable going to furring amp. Next to furry on amp is a wall plate with two coax outlets with a coax cable looped between them.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:20 PM   #4

The system using the loop is different than mine, other people should be able to help.
So the outside connections, are they on the door side of your trailer? If so, are there any connection on the other side, near your water and power connection area? Should be a couple connection points there also.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:14 AM   #5

Schematics are available from Jayco contact form, usually.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:55 PM   #6

I can help if you can follow along with my less than perfect directions. If your Whitehawk is like mine, your TT only has one input for cable or satellite. This line runs to the coax plate near the TV. This plate is the culprit as it has a 3-way combiner / splitter on the backside of it. This takes the feed from the rooftop antenna along with the CATV / satellite input and feeds the TV while also outputting through to the outside TV via the loop. Identify the input cable from the CATV/ SAT input jack and remove it from the 3-way loopdoohickey. Hook that incoming line directly to the satellite box and you will be good to go to watch satellite on that TV. You’ll have to figure out if your sat box to TV connection will need to change from what it is currrently. I’m using Pathway X2 dishes and VIP211z receivers which are HD, so my box to TV connections is HDMI and may differ from yours. If you can get this to work, we can talk about other options you might want to use or try for more versatility.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #7

After a couple frustrating attempts to utilize the Sat/Cable external port and the infamous signal booster or whatever it is inside, I ran coax straight into the camper and my Dish receiver. I split that "out to TV" line so we have TV in the living room and the bedroom. We can watch DVR recordings in one room while another watches live TV if we don't want to watch the same program.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:02 PM   #8

Thank you Spark Dr. I'm now good to go!
Old 08-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #9

For future readers of with similar issues...this doohickey is worth the $12 to make 100% darn sure you are looking at the end of the proper coax inside your trailer, that you are hooking to on the outside. This, and a label maker, will save you headaches.
https://www.amazon.com/CIMPLE-CO-Con...ds=coax+finder
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:18 PM   #10

Thank everyone for this thread and the information. We have a 2016rsks whitehawk and are wondering the very same thing on hooking up a satellite. It sounds like SparkDr has same inside hookup I do. Please help me understand this, I hook the cable from satellite to my outside input, then take the thingy with the loop inside close to main tv out of the wall and get to the splitter, then unhook the catv/sat input cable from it and hook it to the sat receiver box?
What would I do if I had a cable source at the campground? Would I just plug it into the outside input and cut the antenna power booster off? We have only watched antenna tv so far. We have the main tv in the rear living area and another tv in bedroom. ANY help is greatly appreciated.
Kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #11

I pulled the looped cable plate and the radio out of the cabinet and traced the cables. In my humble opinion the best way to get satellite dish tv into your trailer is to install an outside cable jack and rout a new coax cable up to the shelf under your tv and place your dish Wally or whatever receiver you have on the shelf under the tv. Then unplug the htmi cable from the back of your tv to make room for your Wally htmi cable (if your Tv only has one htmi outlet).
Old 08-24-2018, 06:57 PM   #12

Without immediately over complicating things, I am going to simply say that because of the single input on our units, you are forced to choose between park cable or satellite. We can’t have both with a single input. Yes, there are ways around this. With the mods I have done, I am able to have two satellite inputs as well as park cable at the same time (but that is a story for another thread). As far as your current train of thought, you are correct so far.

May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer valid input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut myself down whenever I get too in love with my own misconceived brilliance.
SparkDr is offline   Reply With Quote