Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #1

distance between tires?

Howdy -

I'm hoping that has quick access to their trailer can help me out with something. I want to pick up a couple of pieces of lumber to park my trailer on when in storage and need to know how long my boards should be so that I can park both tires on the same piece of lumber.

I have a 32BHDS, but I would assume that the length will be the same for any tandem axle trailer.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks!
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Site Team

The distance from the front edge of my front tire to the rear edge of my rear tire is about 5 feet. The actual length that rests on the ground is of course less. Unfortunately not all tandem trailers have the axles the same distance apart. So someone with the same model will have to chime in if you want exact distances. I`m thinking 6 foot boards would probably cover you, but not for sure.

-Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:11 PM   #3

5-6 foot is good...
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #4

I'm trying to get the boards as short as possible for storage reasons. I may just go get a couple of 6' boards and take my saw with me the next time I take the trailer out. I can cut to fit from there.

I plan on making one board about a foot shorter than the other so that I can use them as leveling pads at the campground if necessary. The shorter board can go on top so that I don't have to try and push the tires up the thickness or two boards at once.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Site Team

Sounds like a plan. You can also cut one edge of each board on an angle so the tire rides up easier and has less tendency to push the board back when you are backing onto it. That`s what I did.....I started out with boards and still use them at home to level but now carry the lynx leveling blocks on board to save weight and space. Some like boards better and some like the leveling blocks, I guess they both will do the job. Boards are cheaper, that`s for sure!. -Lee
Old 01-19-2011, 10:07 PM   #6

Good luck finding 6ft long boards.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Good luck finding 6ft long boards.
I can always get 8' boards if that's all they have. I'd really like to get one 10' or 12' and get the two pcs I need from one board.

Anyhow, good thinking on the angles. That'll have to wait until I have access to a bigger saw, but I'll probably use that idea. As far as space saving, I'm just going to stash the boards on the rear cargo hauler of my trailer... it's 8' wide just like the trailer, so space shouldn't be a problem. I have the lynx levelers as well, but I figure that I won't be leaving the boards at the storage lot when the trailer isn't there (they might end up under someone else's trailer), so I might as well make them work for me while I'm camping.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Site Team

I just used a circular saw to make the angle cuts. And yes, obtaining 6' boards certainly poses no dilemma. Just cut a 12 footer in half..... -Lee
Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
Site Team

My boards are 2" x 10" in 2' sections. I find this increases their versatility (I can use them for the wheels or stack them under my stabilizer jacks when they won't reach the ground) and makes them much easier to store; especially when you have a short bed pickup (Yeah, let's see you get your six foot boards in those half-ton pickups that have a bed that's only 5' 9"). I don't know about any of you folks, but my leveling boards are one of the last things loaded in the bed because they're one of the first things out.

If I put two together end to end, both tires will just fit. The only thing I can't do is chock the wheels using regular wheel chocks. For those situations, I use my BAL between the wheels chock.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #10

I've got a 3/4 ton with 6.5' bed, so no worries there!

The reason I want to keep them as a single piece is so they'll be easier to put out in storage. I don't want to have to carry 4 boards (one for each tire) if I can only carry two. Also, I've got a rear cargo hauler on my trailer that is as wide as the trailer (8') where the boards will go for travel. It's tucked under the trailer when not in use, so I can just slide the boards in there. When I do use it, it will only be for bikes or ice chests, so I can still put the boards there.

Shorter boards will definitely be more versatile though. If i find for some reason that my current idea doesn't work, I'll just cut them up and have multiple short boards.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #11

I carry a stack of 2x6 boards a foot long. I found that the wider the board the sooner it cracked. I place the short boards sideways so the tires don't hang over the sides of the boards. I can also use them for the stabilizer jacks and to help chock the wheels. I also have BAL chocks.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
I'm trying to get the boards as short as possible for storage reasons. I may just go get a couple of 6' boards and take my saw with me the next time I take the trailer out. I can cut to fit from there.

I plan on making one board about a foot shorter than the other so that I can use them as leveling pads at the campground if necessary. The shorter board can go on top so that I don't have to try and push the tires up the thickness or two boards at once.
I did the same thing, cut the first 2 X 8 5 feet long and cut the ends at a 45 degree angle. Have a slightly shorter one to go on top with no room to spare. Works great for leveling side to side as the owners manual says do not use the stabilizer jacks for leveling, just support. So far, in the campgrounds I have been to, only one board necessary for leveling.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #13

I got an 8 foot 2x10 cut it in half and it works fine!
Adopt a shelter pet!

2009 Jayco Designer 37RLQS
2011 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax Crew Cab 4X4 Dually
20K Curt Q5 hitch
av8arkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #14

Yep, I found this weekend that 4' is all that is really needed, but a couple extra inches never hurts. The 2x8 I got is almost too narrow though, so I'll be going back and getting either a 2X10 or 2X12 next time. I will just cut up the 2x8 and use as blocks for my jacks!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #15
Site Team

There are 2 reasons I made mine a little longer then the minimum required. If I need more then one board to level I like for the tire to climb up on the first board before starting up on the second one, therefore the bottom board would be longer then the top. Also if I`m leveling by myself without a spotter I do not have to be exact about not backing the tire off the board if there`s some room for error, the board being a bit longer then the tires. -Lee
Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #16

That's exactly why I bought a 12' board and cut it in half. One board is 5.5 feet, and the other is 5 feet, leaving enough wiggle room to get it right the first time. Now, I just need a wider board!