Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #1

Do brakes set when they are unplugged from TV?

Hey guys, I was wondering if the TT brakes engage when there is no power from the TV? This is coming from the thought of using Lynx load leveler blocks (before I purchase the Bal X chocks). It seems to me that the wheels are sort of on little hills, and there isn't an easy way to chock them up there. I just don't trust the scissor jacks enough to feel comfortable that they will hold the 8,500 pounds of trailer from rolling off the blocks.

thanks
Jake
lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:48 AM   #2

Power for the break-away switch comes from your camper's battery, not the tow vehicle. I noticed in my Jayco manual that it cautions not to use the breakaway switch as a parking brake or it could damage the wiring, connectors and switch due to high amp draw. Best bet is to get the trailer close to level, then it won't have a reason to roll.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:19 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum. I always use chocks on both sides. I don't want any movement.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #4

No the brakes do not set when unplugged from the TV.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #5

Thanks guys, I didn't think they set, and I wasn't planning on using the breakaway for a parking brake. My plan is to use the X chocks since I can't find a wheel chock that works on the "high" side.
lovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #6

Jake, good question!

In situations where a lynx chock doesn't protect the 'high side', we have used a rock we carry in the truck (rough and flat on bottom; rounded sorta on top). We also have used a chunk of 4x4.

Although we use the X-chocks, we always will chock the tires where they meet the ground... this is because the tires are usually hot and 'swelled' when unhitching and after about half an hour the tires have reduced in size allowing the tt to move a little and requiring re-tightening of the X-chocks. Hope this helps a little
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #7

lovecamping,

Your question about the electric brakes has already been answered above.

Regarding your secondary questions on Bal-X chocks and Lynx levelers, I would recommend do both. Try this accessory for your Lynx levelers:

http://lynxlevelers.com/lynx_stop_n_chock.html

They lock-in to the Lynx leveling pads and give you more roll-away prevention than the cheap $3 yellow plastic chocks.

With regard to the Bal-X chocks, they do provide great friction brake effect on your tandem wheels, (like an old friction brake on a conestoga wagon--watch an old western or Little House on the Prairie when the wagon driver sets the brake when stopping the wagon). But more importantly, in such a long TT as the 32BHDS, the Bal-X helps to reduce some of the "bounce" you will experience throughout the entire trailer when someone walks or jumps at the other end of your TT. It essentially takes two separate round wheels and converts/locks them into an oval with flat sides with less rolling/rocking of the wheels. Remember, your tandem axles/wheels are set on leaf springs and they are designed to have bounce, which allows for some mini-rolling during inside human movement. Engineering-wise, the best way to eliminate long TT bounce would be to add a middle pair of scissor jacks just forward of the front axle (neutralizing the axle leaf springs). I have not had to make this Mod, since DW and I are very happy with how much the simple addition of the Bal-X chocks has satisfactorally neutralized most of our 32BHDS bounce. The Bal-X are presently on sale for $34.99 at adventurerv.net.

I apply my Bal-X deluxe chocks and regular wheel chocks prior to unhooking from the truck. Once I am all set-up (level, corner stabilizer jacks, slides, etc.), I go around and do a final gentle crank on the Bal-X chocks and the corner stabilizers, since they can loosen slightly after set-up.

Hope this helps.

2011 Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2008 F250 SD King Ranch CC SRW 4WD 6.4PSD
Equal-i-zer 1200 WDH
higgywool is offline   Reply With Quote