Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
He’s only towing a 19 inch trailer. Shouldn’t need brakes for that.

Anything over about 2,000 lbs will greatly benefit from brakes, though. Check local laws, too, as they vary.
If he was towing a 19 inch trailer, he would not need a brake controller, but if it’s a 19 foot trailer, he should have a brake controller.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:12 PM   #22

Smile Brake Controller

Well This morning I got the brake controller and the new weight distribution bracket installed. I think (hope) that this is the last of the parts that I need. Thank for all the help everyone. It has been over Twenty years since i hauled a trailer. Wish us luck. Mike Dickinson
Mike Dickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:15 PM   #23

Best of luck!
Old 09-14-2021, 09:23 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dickinson View Post
Well This morning I got the brake controller and the new weight distribution bracket installed. I think (hope) that this is the last of the parts that I need. Thank for all the help everyone. It has been over Twenty years since i hauled a trailer. Wish us luck. Mike Dickinson
Enjoy your Jayfeather! A little refresher towing practice at a quiet place, and it'll al come back to you. Awareness is important. Happy camping, and good luck.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:56 AM   #25

Glad you got the controller. Among other things, it will move some of the braking load from your truck to the trailer behind you. This does 2 things: 1 - it saves your expensive truck brakes from excessive wear and 2 - it will help keep the entire rig straight and under control while braking, and that is especially important in emergency situations.

Also, get used to operating the controller manually while under stress, activating it will help straighten the rig if the trailer is fishtailing behind you. You need to make that hand moving to the controller an automatic response to a control problem. Be sure to set up the controller properly for your truck/trailer combination.
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:59 AM   #26

Yes you should
It’s a very easy process do a dealership should be reasonable price
If you don’t then the breaks on your truck will have to do all of the work and will cause them to wear out faster than normal
Khudson54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #27

Yes, panic stop and that trailer will push you. IMO.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #28

We have a Jayco x17z. Towing with Toyota Highlander. We had a RV repair place Install a Tekonsha brake controller. It is right under the steering wheel. Cost was $450 Installed.
MoreSmoresPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #29

I have a 2021 Colorado and it did not come with brake controller

I use a electronic brake controller that I can set with my phone. Has worked great so far.

Many states have laws on requiring brake controllers over 3000lbs
AllysonG-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Any trailer empty weight 3,000 pounds must have brakes some states require 1,500 must have brakes
This is patently false. I've already provided one such example, Delaware, that does not require brakes with a 3,000 lb trailer. Scroll up and actually read the thread for the specific reference. There are other states, too, that have different criteria.

Anything over around 1,500 or 2,000 lbs will greatly benefit from brakes, but that is a far cry from incorrect assertions that brakes are required by law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllysonG-NY View Post
[...] Many states have laws on requiring brake controllers over 3000lbs
This is correct. Many do and 3,000 lbs seems to be the most common threshold. However, Delaware, Alaska, and others have different laws. Be familiar with the local and state laws of where you live and tow.
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKHengst View Post
Glad you got the controller. Among other things, it will move some of the braking load from your truck to the trailer behind you. This does 2 things: 1 - it saves your expensive truck brakes from excessive wear and 2 - it will help keep the entire rig straight and under control while braking, and that is especially important in emergency situations.

Also, get used to operating the controller manually while under stress, activating it will help straighten the rig if the trailer is fishtailing behind you. You need to make that hand moving to the controller an automatic response to a control problem. Be sure to set up the controller properly for your truck/trailer combination.
X2

You need a good brake controller for big down-hills if nothing else. My Tahoe stops my 3500# trailer fine on level non-panic stops, but I'd never risk it. I check the trailer brakes often - just press the manual slide on my Tekonsha Primus unit as we start off, feel the trailer brakes, adjust with the dial if needed and feel safe and secure driving. I set mine to produce a little drag on the Tahoe, but not stop it. The car stops itself and the trailer stops itself.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #32

YES you need a controller. I have a 2019 Colorado with a towing package but it didn't have a factory installed controller. The GM accessory controller is the Curt Triflex. About $95. Works really well, easy to install and use. The controller has the needed pigtail in the box.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 04:50 PM   #33
Site Team

NY trailer brake and lighting requirement is here:

https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv529c.pdf

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:16 PM   #34

i was towing a 12' pop up tent trailer with a ford expedition, I sure wish i had put a brake controller going down a steep hill. It felt like my brakes got so spongy and I pretty much blew past the stop sign at the bottom of the hill.
signguy707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:13 PM   #35

I would absolutely want trailer breaks. I had to install on my first truck. Chev 1500. It was the most inexpensive thing I have bought. I have never thought the trailer was pushing me.
Charlie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:34 AM   #36

Absolutely need one!

You can thank me later. :-)
WFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #37

I would definately suggest a brake controller! I have had great success with the Tekonsha Prodigy line, [URL="https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90885.html"]

Since you have a GMC pickup, you will have to get the correct harness for your truck. From E-Trailer:
Installation Notes:
No plug is present under the dash, but the needed wires are already run. You will connect the brake controller wiring with the vehicle wiring already present under the dash.
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmom View Post
I would definately suggest a brake controller! I have had great success with the Tekonsha Prodigy line, [URL="https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90885.html"]

Since you have a GMC pickup, you will have to get the correct harness for your truck. From E-Trailer:
Installation Notes:
No plug is present under the dash, but the needed wires are already run. You will connect the brake controller wiring with the vehicle wiring already present under the dash.
Bluetooth ones are easy no wiring at all
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Think of this; going downhill your brakes fade and won't stop you.. and you have the equivalent of another truck that you are towing. What can go wrong?

Why this is even a question dumbfounds me.
Exactly. Error on the side of being as safe as possible.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 01:38 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
Here's an item I saw at my local RV dealer! I haven't used it but seems like quick/easy way to try it out... you can always take it back if you don't see it's value too.

The CURT Echo mobile brake control is a Bluetooth-enabled brake control device that wirelessly connects to your smartphone and allows you to control and monitor all trailer brake activity right from your own device. It features a simple, plug-and-play installation on your vehicle inserting between the 7-way vehicle-trailer wiring connection. It also features a portable design to easily switch between vehicle-trailer combinations and a highly durable construction to outlast the elements.

It's sold at etrailer, amazon, homedepot, walmart... even ebay.
I'll stick with a wired controller.

The trouble with Bluetooth is interference. BT uses 2. ghz. Anything operating on 2.4 ghz can interfere with the BT signal. So if your smartphone is connected to your truck via WiFi, chances are you're using 2.4 ghz (unless your vehicle supports dual band and you consciously connect to 5 ghz). If the cars around you are doing the same thing, then you could lose connectivity to your trailer brakes just because 2.4 ghz is noisy.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote