Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #1

Do I need extended mirrors to haul our new Jayco Featherlite Z17 (18.6 length)

We just completed our first "practice" trip this weekend to a local RV resort near our home in in St. Augustine Florida. Next month we are doing the 8hour drive to KEY WEST and looking forward to a fabulous week. We are wondering if we need extended mirrors for our Toyota Highlander (2010). Without mirrors, I have no problem seeing way back on both side lanes, but of course can't see anything in the lane directly behind me. Is that ok? We live in Florida, and someone told me you need to see "200 feet behind" ... well,the side lanes are "Behind" and I can see well past 200 feet.. but the lane I'm in there is no way I can see direclty behind. Any advice?
Jwfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #2

Well, we have a different TV but the same trailer. I basically decided today I am getting extended mirrors, I don't know how much it will gain but it has to help some. People have this insane desire to tailgate anyone and everyone, what I'd really like is a missile launcher.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

My understanding you need to be able to see rear corner of your trailer and a couple hundred feet of dotted line behind you, while driving in a straight line. I drive in a lot of heavy traffic and I have auxiliary mirrors and they are great. I enjoy being able to see.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #4

Just installed some aftermarket "towing" mirrors on our 2011 Silverado so we will be ready to take delivery of a new Whitehawk 27DSRL next month. They definitely give better coverage on both sides in the "unextended" position, will have to have the TT behind to see how they work in the "extended" position. Interestingly, the Car Talk show on Saturday had a discussion about how to best position one's outside mirrors for best coverage. You may find the PDF worth reading, here:

http://www.cartalk.com/sites/default...alkMirrors.pdf

Mike
mikmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #5

I went years without mirrors because I thought that I could see fine, and after buying them as add on attachment mirrors on my last truck I optioned my new truck with camper mirrors. They are worth their weight in gold if you want my .02
Old 02-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #6

I picked up this type of slip-on mirror for my F150 truck and they worked out great... Not all that expensive... Once they get secured in place they don't move around at all attached over your existing mirror... Easy to remove...

CIPA Custom Towing Mirrors
Click image for larger version

Name:	850666_lg.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	6476

Check with CIPA and see if they have a set that fits your truck... I got mine from AMAZON but notice all of the RV places carry them... PEPBOYS carry them too....

I don't tow a large trailer any more but keep these in my RV TOOL box in case they are ever needed...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #7

You may be stopped by law enforcement without proper mirrors.
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
I picked up this type of slip-on mirror for my F150 truck and they worked out great... Not all that expensive... Once they get secured in place they don't move around at all attached over your existing mirror... Easy to remove...

CIPA Custom Towing Mirrors
Attachment 6476

Check with CIPA and see if they have a set that fits your truck... I got mine from AMAZON but notice all of the RV places carry them... PEPBOYS carry them too....

I don't tow a large trailer any more but keep these in my RV TOOL box in case they are ever needed...

Roy Ken
I have the type that have adjustable straps going around the back of the mirror. I like them because there is no vibration distortion, but I don't like having to ratchet the straps tight. How are yours secured after they are slid into place? Any vibration? If there is ANY noticeable vibration at all, I won't use them.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #9

These may not be for you but they worked perfect for me... The assy slips over the original mirror and is a tight fit molded for your mirror. Once you have it in position then you can turn a large knob on the back of the assy to tightened everything down real snug. On my F150 they were real tight and did not show any vibrations what-so-ever. I think the cost was $35 per side...
These are custom designed for your vehicle mirror.

Name:	11301_v1_20091228.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	6485

http://www.cipausa.com/product/custo...g-mirror-11301
http://www.cipausa.com/sites/default...tion/11300.pdf

I was very pleased with how it fit my F150 mirrors - good rear view with no vibrations. It was a very snug fit. The large opening also allows your existing mirror to be used as well...

Looking at the list of Toyota vehicles I did not see the Highlander listed but looking at photos it looks like the Highlander and the Sequoia use similar mirrors. You may want to go to PEPBOYs and see if the Sequoia unit will fit your Highlander mirror before buying one.

This photo from google shows the KNOB mounting hole on the right side pretty good where you snug the whole assy in place. AMAZON also has a nice write-up and several reviews for this mirror. AMAZON also describes more on how the WEDGE STRIP locks down the mirror real snug when tightened up by the large KNOB...

Name:	B0006H8ABI.01.lg.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	6486
http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-10000-Che.../dp/B0006H8ABI

This depiction shows the angle of view you will probably need to have using the rear view mirror for towing trailers.

Name:	cipa.tow.01.sm.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	6487

I looked at the mirror that attached to the edges of the original installed mirrors using straps to hold them in place and didnt like them at all. This CIPA model slides over the whole rear side of the original mirror assy and fits like a glove leaving the glass part of the original mirror still in use.

Hope it works out ok for your installation...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #10

I have a pair of CIPA's on my Ford F150 and they are great. There is a wedge that slides in between the add on and the existing mirror that the tightening bolt snugs up the assembly too. They are also supplied with a piece of rubber to reduce/stop any potential vibration. Takes 30 seconds a mirror to put on. If I'm in an area that seems a little ifffy I remove and store them as there is no way to secure them when installed.
baltimorebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #11

I love these cipa's. So easy to put on and off that i even take them off once at the campground and keep them in there box in the my rear seat till we leave. I leave a piece of paper roll sheet in the cavity just in case it could scratch the paint on the mirror when you slide them on. No vibration and they look great.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #12

It is the law in NH. If a cop can't see your mirrors while following you, that means you can't see him when he is trying to get by you to an emergency. Larry
Old 02-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #13

For your TV, YES! We picked up a set of the CW mirrors that use the rubber straps to attatch over the mirrors and so far have worked OK for us. I did add a small wire "leash" that slips over the TV mirrors incase one decides to fall off while driving. I think I paid about $11 each on sale. Wouldnt hurt to add a convex mirror on the passenger side also for added visibility.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #14

I have the REESE strap mirrors..........only because I could not find the CIPA mirrors for a 2012 RAM. The vibrate a little but I can still see a vehicle behind me.
Huntsvillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #15

Any help you can get to see behind is a plus. I find backing up with the extra coverage is a added bonus
rwstinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #16

x2 on the CIPAs. A must have on my Sequoia.

2016 Jayco x213
2012 Toyota Tundra
Mainenebula is offline   Reply With Quote