Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2016, 10:33 AM   #21

As far as I can tell, all friction sway controls are alike except for the name on them. Buy based on price. Here's the best price I've found.

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-17200-Sw...r+sway+control

They make a left and a right and for some reason one is more expensive than the other. However, it's a simple matter to simply remove the inner slide and flip it over for use on the "wrong" side. All it does is make the label upside down. I also move swap the adjusting lever and bolt around so the lever is on top.

Also, they are noisy when making sharp turns but that just means they are doing their job. I wouldn't loosen them just to stop the noise as that also makes them less effective in controlling sway.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
That's the exact same hitch I use to tow my Open Range 216 (#7800 ready to go) behind my Nissan Armada. The Armada has a shorter wheelbase so I use 2 friction type sway controls and get excellent results too. My trailer also has the wide spaced axles rated at #4400 each and I just installed 4 new #2500 springs (one of the OEM springs broke) and a Mor Ride wet bolt kit. My coupler is on top so I don't have the "under-slung" issue to deal with.

I don't think I said you encouraged anybody to do anything. At least I didn't intend to imply that you did.
We have no problems... One thing I should point out about my setup is that my truck is pretty heavy and has a pretty long wheel base. When we're trying to solve towing problems we need to remember that the towing vehicle is as much a part of the equation as the trailer. With the truck, loaded with the hitch and trailer's tongue weight and all the other stuff (junk per DeeDee) it's the heavier of the two. It has LT - LRE tires at 80psi and a very solid suspension... and someone towing with a shorter, lighter SUV or 1/2-ton pickup isn't going to have those advantages. Because of all of those things, it's more stable to begin with. That probably has much to do with my setup not really needing the friction sway control.

Enjoy... and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #23

Hi Mike,
By built in sway, do you mean the one piece that seems to have a slide on it. I keep getting posts that I need two units but since you and I have the same trailer, if that works, I will try those first.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:41 PM   #24

Hi travelingjw, I vote for the Equalizer brand 4 point hitch. We use it to tow our TT and it works great. It keeps the TV level and has the sway control built in so there is no need for additional friction type sway control. We have found after 2 long trips (3,000+ miles) that this set up works real well. I don't have any "white-knuckle" fears when driving in cross winds or when big rigs go flying by us. Here is a link to their web site if you would like to read up more on their product. Equal-i-zer Hitch - The American Original with 4-Point Sway Control and Weight Distribution
I've seen them priced reasonably well on Amazon and eTrailer. May I also suggest doing a search in youtube for the various brands of hitches that you are considering. There you will be able to see them in use and maybe get a better understanding of the differences between them. Just my .02 cents. Have fun!
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #25

Another confusion factor when discussing WDH is the fact that "Equalizer" is often used as a generic term when folks actually mean some other brand of WDH. "Equalizer" is also a name brand. Often it's difficult to tell what context is intended by the poster.

Kind of like folks call most all kinds of tissue "Kleenex" regardless of the actual brand.

I think the OP already has a WDH and it's not clear exactly which one he has. Maybe I missed something. A picture would still be nice.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:14 PM   #26

I have a Blue Ox hitch, it does have anti-sway built in but in a more complicated (not necessarily more effective) way than traditional hitches. The bars are made from spring steel and if there is sway it gets dissipated by the bending of the bars. The joints where the bars connect to the hitch head also seem to provide some friction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I have an EAZ-Lift 10,000/1000 WDH and it has a friction sway control setup. I just chose not to install it this time. I didn't use it the last year I had the old trailer. I am about to upgrade that to a Blue Ox because the coupler on my new trailer is under-slung. The new hitch doesn't appear to have any friction sway control, either. This new trailer is more stable because the axles are further apart. That seems to calm things down a bit. It doesn't turn sharply as well, but everything is a trade-off. I've not encouraged anyone to do anything. I've shared my experience. What someone does with that information is on them... not me.
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #27

I don't think Eaz-Lift hitches have any built in sway control. I believe schrederman meant that his Eaz-Lift came with a friction type sway device that he chose not to install. Maybe he'll clear that up.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:42 AM   #28

Thank you. What brand of anti-sway bars did you purchase?
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #29

Quote:
I don't think Eaz-Lift hitches have any built in sway control. I believe schrederman meant that his Eaz-Lift came with a friction type sway device that he chose not to install. Maybe he'll clear that up.
That's correct. Since I hadn't used it in the year before trading trailers, I decided not to put holes in the trailer tongue unless I deemed it necessary. I took it, and everything I'd need to put it on, when we first started pulling the new trailer. Now it's stored in the garage... waiting for spring and our next garage sale. The EAZ-Lift will probably go then, too.

Thanks, Motorbreath... I didn't know the Blue Ox provided some sway control. Now even more incentive to spend another $600- on this mess instead of new model gliders or fly fishing gear...

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Hi Mike,
By built in sway, do you mean the one piece that seems to have a slide on it. I keep getting posts that I need two units but since you and I have the same trailer, if that works, I will try those first.
I have the Husky centerline ts 4 point hitch. No chains. My sway system is in the friction on the spring bars and L brace on the trailer. Go to youtube and type in Husky centerline ts, and you will understand what we are talking about when we say four point hitch. It dose not require a friction bar for anti sway
Mikedebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Another confusion factor when discussing WDH is the fact that "Equalizer" is often used as a generic term when folks actually mean some other brand of WDH. "Equalizer" is also a name brand.......snip
Very true on the confusion at times.

The WDH with the brand name "Equal-i-zer" is what I look for clarification in some discussions...., this is one of the WDH brands that has integrated sway control.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Hi Mike,
travelingjw,
Some hitches have a device that is actually part of the hitch design that is intended to reduce sway. It can be geometry of the hitch head or some type of friction designed into the spring bar connection to the hitch head and/or friction in the connection of the spring bars to the tongue bracket. It is often some combination of these. These are referred to as "built in" sway devices.

However, a lot of WDH's don't have any kind of built in sway prevention. For those, there are "add on" devices with one end connected to a small (1") ball on the hitch head and the other end on a similar ball bolted to one side of the trailer "A" frame. These incorporate a sliding bar and friction material in conjunction with an adjusting mechanism to set the proper amount of friction. The units are usually referred to as "friction sway devices" and you can install one or two depending on your needs.

Most "friction sway" devices are of the same design, are easily installed and can be purchased for about $35 each on Amazon. In order to have "built in" sway control you will likely need to replace your complete WDH at a cost of $500-$3500 depending on the particular model/design you choose.

Additionally, the term "equalizer or EQ", when used to refer to a non "Equal-I-zer brand" hitch can cause confusion. It's best to use the term WDH instead to avoid giving the impression you have a Equal-I-zer branded hitch when you actually have a Husky branded hitch. Hope that helps some.

Tags
eq hitch, newbie, sway bars, sway controls