Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
We plan to turn our refrigerator on using propane the day before we leave.
Normally, we turn our battery off while the trailer is stored (using disconnect knob). Do we need to leave the battery connected to the trailer while the propane powers the fridge?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
The very short simple answer to your question......Yes
Old 03-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #22
Site Team

Yes, all the control circuits use 12v. It will not work on propane without DC.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:02 PM   #23

If your refrigerator has a spark igniter ( a push button that makes a spark by the burner) to light it you do not need any power. By the way, this is a great time to check the burner for wasp nests and mouse nests. Check to see if flame is bright blue.

If yours has an on switch or switch position and no snap/spark igniter than it uses 12 volts to ignite the propane. It only uses a tiny amount to start it so even a low battery should work.

You should be checking all your systems when you start the pre-cool of the refrigerator. Lights inside and out, alarm for carbon monoxide, battery for fire alarm. Furnace should be cycled no matter what the weather. If you have power than cycle the AC. Light the stove, cycle the microwave, etc. Back up and connect your trailer, check the brake and running lights.

All this will give you time to correct a problem before you leave.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #24

I keep my battery at home while the trailer is in storage. I use a Battery Tender charger (about $35 on Amazon) and ensure the battery is fully charged and take it to the camper the day before we leave for a trip. I start the fridge and let it run overnight and by the next day, it's cold enough to add food. I suspect it would take several days to run the battery down if just running the fridge.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I keep my battery at home while the trailer is in storage. I use a Battery Tender charger (about $35 on Amazon) and ensure the battery is fully charged and take it to the camper the day before we leave for a trip. I start the fridge and let it run overnight and by the next day, it's cold enough to add food. I suspect it would take several days to run the battery down if just running the fridge.
With a fully charged battery I can dry camp for about 2 days thats with the fridge on, lights at night (sparingly) the water pump as needed and the stereo playing. One day I would like to add a second battery but for now we just carry a spare in the truck and swap them out. But 2 days is about the limit with one. Maybe a solar charger would be worth it? Haven't done much research into those.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:41 AM   #26

Never understood why folks make such a fuss over the battery. If you don't drycamp and only use a battery for an occasional overnite on the road or just to keep the fridge powered up while traveling and to power the emergency brakes, all you need is your basic marine battery. A basic marine battery can be had for about the cost of a tank of fuel and a Bigmack and will get the job done.

Get a battery and take care to keep it topped off and it will last you 3 or 4 years.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #27

I have a 2016 26BH and it needs the 12 VDC to run the fridge on propane. If the battery is charged, the master cut-off is not off, the battery should easily last 24 hours. Make sure you listen for the fridge to light so you know it is getting gas. If you pull the fuse for the radio you will eliminate one of your parasitic 12 VDC sources.
Load the fridge with items that are already cold before you leave for your trip and you should be good to go.
Dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote