Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #1

Do you have any Regrets? is the quality still there?

Hello!!!

My husband and i have been searching for a couple months and I feel like my brain is melting from all of the conflicting information.

There are die hard Jayco owners, and the dealers swear by them and one has said he's sold them for 17 years and never had one leak unless it was due to owner maintenance issues.

And then you see posts about Jayco being junk, that they are rushed through an assembly line and the builders are paid by the piece so therefore if they can get a unit or part built in 2 hours when it could take them 4, they can build it fast and get out for the day - implying that the quality is not there. Then I hear that being wood frame construction, the Jayco will have issues on long road trips and screws will pop. That they USED to be built like rocks, and now use cheaper materials and rushed construction. Having someone tell you that Jayco has been the best for 17 or more years, when you hear stories of them being GREAT 10 years ago, and crap now, well, it doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

I am still leaning towards Jayco because of it's long history and can only hope that we don't get a lemon or one that isn't made well - but in reality, that's where I am on this. That all trailers are basically junk just waiting to fall apart or have something break, and that every year you own one you are living on borrowed time waiting for something to break. Either I have become extremely jaded before even BUYING one, or these truly are a horrible investment, worse than a car.

So I have come here, and am asking real OWNERS their opinions. if you had to do it all over again (and I think I'd be asking those with 2010 or newer) would you? I say newer units, because if you bought one 10 years ago, it might have been made with that better quality and attention to detail that 'seems' to have been lost depending on who you talk to.

the unit we are looking at is the 2016 28 BHBE Elite, with the 15k A/C, the TriFold bed and thermal package added on. We were hoping for an 80" long mattress but have learned it's not even an option for the queen. for those of you with Travel trailers 2010 or newer, would you do it again? any advice?

we bought a camper in May, had it for a little over a month and realized we both LOVED it for what it did for us, but also hated that it was too small to bring any other family or daughters friends along. we sold it - it was a solid unit in good shape but we wanted to upgrade. It was built in 1991 and now i am wondering if we should have kept it. 2 months in and it has been sold. we need to buy, and I'm scared to death of getting junk.
OhioRVMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #2

A brand-new unit will have a warrantee, so small stuff can be fixed. There are stories that Jayco has replaced RV's that 'were not up to par'.

I've had my Jayco for only a few months and the luster has not worn off yet. There were few minor issues that the dealer took care of before delivery. And a couple that I've noticed since.

Being very handy, I can live with a drawer that doesn't auto-lock until I can dig in and see what's wrong. Or the light switches being configured 'funny'.

Now, I bought one of the smallest/cheapest TT's that Jayco offers. So the cabinetry and the other fixtures and fixings are the same as the more expensive/luxurious units. Therefore, I feel I got a good deal.

Slide-outs, built-in gensets and other accessories add to the complexity of the purchase and operation of the RV. I've chosen to stay clear of such things.

If you are afraid of buying junk, then don't. Rent hotel rooms. If you want to own an RV with all the nicety of having your portable house with you, you'll have to take the risk of owning a complex machine that will need fixing from time to time.

What your choices are, and what size/equipment is good for you are your decisions.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #3

Keep this in mind. Don't get discouraged by what you read here on the forum. But rather learn from it so you can make a good decision and also what to look for. The negative that you read here on the forum is just a small percentage of owners that have had problems as compared to those that have been very satisfied with their Jayco. Those problems are in the Auto industry as well.

If you do decide on a Jayco I would suggest that you find a dealer that has a good reputation both in sales and service.

Good luck with your search and also keep in mind that to much information can be just as confusing as too little information.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:18 PM   #4

I bought new in 2014. I have had quite a few things go "wrong" with my trailer, but with that said, the warranty is 2 years long and has worked perfectly so far. I can tell you that I was looking at about 5 different manufactures and was searching forums, going to RV shows, looking at used trailers, going to multiple dealers looking at trailers before I bought. I had rented for a few years, borrowed friends trailers for a couple of years, bought a Class C Fleetwood. My opinion is they are all built to the minimum specs that they can and they all have their own problems from time to time. I will say that I would definitely do it again. I have actually thought about selling my trailer right before the warranty is up and replacing it with the same exact model, just to get another 2 years of warranty. I can't guarantee I could get the good deal I got on mine, so I won't be doing that. My only real advise to you is buy something that you like with all of the features that you like and get the best warranty you can. For me, Jayco has stood behind their product.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #5

First things first, welcome! You've come to the right place.

Second thing. Trailers are indeed a worse investment than a car. But you don't buy a trailer to get money back out of it. When all is said and done, it is a luxury item. You buy it simply for the enjoyment and the memories. We've been camping in one form or another for 30 years, tenting, 2 pop-ups, and 2 hybrid trailers. We haven't regretted a minute of it, nor the money we've spent on our choice of vacation.

We're 3rd time Jayco owners. We're on our 3rd season with our 2013 Jayfeather X20E. It's as solid as our previous 2003 X17a. My only annoyance with Jayco is the finish work. Little things like loose screws, misaligned screen door, misaligned bathroom door, missing or loose trim. That kind of stuff. All 3 Jayco trailers we bought new had these issues, 1993, 2003, and 2013 (BTW, the 1993 pop-up and 20013 hybrid we owned for 10 years each). If you catch in the PDI it can be fixed right away by the dealer. In my case I found it all after the fact and chose to fix the stuff myself.

Other than that they make a solid product. And just like your house, they do require care and maintenance. Seals dry out and need re-caulking, moving parts need lubricant, the plumbing system needs to be sanitized properly, etc.

Keep in mind too that especially with the Internet, you'll read about far more complaints than praise. Walk around a campground on a busy Saturday and ask some Jayco owners what they think. I did that when we bought our 2003 X17Z. I couldn't find one person who didn't love their Jayco.

And as mentioned above, having a good dealer is critical. The RV industry is decades behind the auto industry. A bad dealer can sour your outlook real quick.

And yes, when the time comes (10 years?) Jayco will at the top of our short list.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:30 PM   #6

Hello and welcome to the forum!

We have zero regrets other than my wish to have a TT with a slide...it does get a bit cramped with 2 adults and 2 kids running around in there. My wife was not on board with buying a TT at first but she loves it and wants to make camping in one a regular routine as long as we are able to.

You will see some bad comments about a model on here and other boards because this is mainly where people go when they have problems. Not all of us experience problems with the dealer or Jayco's products. We bought out 26BH new in the spring of 2013 and we have only had minor issues that I corrected all myself...not once did I have to call the dealer or take it back for repair.

One major thing I learned about buying a TT is do your research on your vehicles' tow limits and performance or you will be buying a bigger tow vehicle.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
Site Team

We bought our 19RD in 2012, and love it. It replaced a Fleetwood Arcadia PUP, (which we had for 5 years, and were lucky setting up/packing up rain free). The 4 minor issues where fixed before delivery, except a ragged decal, which was replaced in our driveway by the dealer tech. He drove 15 miles, so we didn't have to tow it to the dealership. That was above and beyond service "with a smile". There have been no other problems or warranty issues since, except one shade string, which was an easy repair. We WOULD buy another Jayco in a heartbeat. Just our .02. As with any vehicle, there may be issues that pop up, but as already said, that's what the warranty is for. Happy hunting!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #8

We've owned 2 Jaycos and have been very satisfied. IMHO the trailer life is best suited to someone who is able to perform his/her own maintenance. Folks that just want to hook up and go expecting zero issues would probably be happier in a hotel.
These things are like boats and airplanes in that they require maintenance. Keep up with it and it'll probably be reliable. Oh yeah, boats, airplanes and RV's = holes in the water, sky, highway we throw money into.
Jayco, having a 2 yr warranty gives you some extra time to work thru the serious issues. I've had warranty claims on both TT's the most serious was the front cap oxidizing on the 5th and Jayco stepped right up with the fix.
If the current 5th disappeared or otherwise went away I'd almost certainly replace it with another Jayco.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #9

We bought our 28 BHBE new in '14 (1st travel trailer ever owned), and I have to say, I've had only one somewhat major issue since I bought it, and that was fixed promptly (and done very well I might add) under warranty by my dealer.

All of these little finish issues that people talk about were non-issues on my unit. So either it wasn't built on a Monday or Friday, my dealer did an exceptional job at PDI, or I'm just lucky. I like to think it's some of all three with an emphasis on "lucky".

I shopped for 2 years before we purchased. I read all the forums (especially this one) and I eventually came around to Jayco. The 2-year warranty was a big selling feature for me, and I even went so far as to basically interview the manager of the dealership I bought from to make sure I would be taken care of after the sale. I believe it's true that no matter which manufacturer you go with, you'll have problems. And I was ready for it, but so far, I have not been even a little disappointed in my Jayco.

I agree that to look at a TT as an "investment" is a mistake, unless you consider "enjoyment" as a "return". These things are an absolutely horrible "investment". I consider it a "hobby". I like to tinker and work on it, and I love taking my family out in it.

Would I do it again? You bet. Probably a bit smaller next time; hopefully we'll be rid of the kid (at least for consistent camping with mom & dad) before we buy another unit. DW has her eye on a Class C, and I can tell you when the time comes, Jayco is where we'll begin shopping.

Edit: Iraqvet is right on when he talks about closely examining your tow capacities. I'm one of the ones who bought an appropriately sized truck AFTER dragging it around for over a year.

More: I would encourage you to consider the horror stories though, don't just search for things that validate a positive opinion, make sure you take a close look at the complaints and determine whether you could handle it if it happened to you. I looked at all that and decided Jayco was what I wanted for better or worse.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
We bought our 28 BHBE new in '14 (1st travel trailer ever owned), and I have to say, I've had only one somewhat major issue since I bought it, and that was fixed promptly (and done very well I might add) under warranty by my dealer.
we are looking at this exact same unit. we have a Ford F150 so I am hoping it's going to be enough to pull it. on paper it is. but from what I am reading, that's not always enough. our tow limit is 7700 lbs. the 2016 elite is going to run us about 6700 or 6800 lbs so about a thousand to spare roughly. On paper. of course we'll be adding stuff to it, but not likely a thousand pounds worth. This is a far more stressful decision than I ever anticipated..
Old 08-06-2015, 12:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRVMom View Post
we are looking at this exact same unit. we have a Ford F150 so I am hoping it's going to be enough to pull it. on paper it is. but from what I am reading, that's not always enough. our tow limit is 7700 lbs. the 2016 elite is going to run us about 6700 or 6800 lbs so about a thousand to spare roughly. On paper. of course we'll be adding stuff to it, but not likely a thousand pounds worth. This is a far more stressful decision than I ever anticipated..
Not to hijack this thread, but if you're going on the tow limit in the specifications section of the website or your manual you're likely to be disappointed. The weights on the door jamb sticker are far more useful to you. I'd post in the towing section of this forum.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:02 PM   #12

Welcome to the Forums! I think most of us have been where you are. DH is on the phone with the dealer right now about an electrical issue that wasn't evident when we did the PDI, but has shown up 3 days after we brought the trailer home. Frustrating. But yes, we'd do it again, both the trailer generally, and Jayco specifically. Our first PUP was a Jayco, and then we got a Forest River, and had some problem with it every time we went out. Now we're back to Jayco, and happy despite the current problem. In the same way, as homeowners, we find lots of little things wrong, from annoying to serious, with the house - but we love it anyhow, and hope never to rent again. :-)
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:11 PM   #13

Ohio RV Mom.
We really like our White Hawk 27 DSRL. I bought it because of Jayco's perceived quality reputation. I had many problems when we first got the White Hawk and the dealer was not responsive. However the warranty reps at Jayco were great and they authorized a local repair shop to handle the warranty work. With the 2 year warranty and the good support from the warranty reps I would recommend Jayco.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:12 PM   #14

Quote:
. This is a far more stressful decision than I ever anticipated..
When you find things are getting stressful Then its time to walk away from the stress and by that I mean close the books walk away from the computer and take a break. Write down your question and ask them on the forum. You will get good replies. And also if you think this is the stressful point just imagine the stress you may have if you didn't go through all the research now. After all is said and done I will bet you will as happy as a new bride.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #15

• Would we buy Jayco again? Absolutely, it was a great experience and we're pleased with the warranty. For the bits-and-pieces from our punch-list, our dealer is working with us so we're satisfied.
  • Would we change the model or floor plan we selected? Absolutely not, we would buy the exact same as what we got - and each trip reinforces the fact that we got what was best for us. Gosh, we still have our previous RV - a 1988 Coleman Tent-Trailer; we can only hope this one brings us as many years of fun!
  • Have we had any bad experiences camping? Only from our own stupidity! (drained the battery with the furnace going, so as it should, the alarm went off ... at 5:30am on Sunday morning).
  • Is everything perfect? Hey, that's why you do mods - the first couple included changing lav faucet, upgrading shower nozzle, adding a full queen topper, installing a battery disconnect, replacing the television and doing all sorts of related 'entertainment' upgrades.
  • Anything we regret? It is SOOOO easy to buy stuff ... it can become a money pit if you let it. It even drove us to upgrade our TV (to the DH's delight).

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #16

We purchases a 2015 27 RLS, took possession April 6th and have been in it since. Nothing major to complain about, few minor issues which I fixed. I agree to be happy with an RV it is best if you can handle little things yourself, rather than counting on a dealer to fix them. We work kamp 6 months out of the year and we had enough confidence to pick it up and go to work. We did stay near the factory for a few days to shake anything major (there were none) out before we took off.

The vast majority of units they build have no or very minor issues. If you look at the complaints on here it is a very small percentage of the folks using this forum.

I liked the floor (5/8" plywood) and the roof structure, along with a little taller interior height...most of the other items, stove, frig, hot water, etc are pretty much all similar to other brands...tho the frig is a few feet larger than most.

I would double check not only your towing capacity, but the hauling capacity of your tow vehicle. You may find while you can tow it down the road your over loading your tow weight limits.. Good Luck !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #17

We just purchased a Jayco 27RLS and pull with our Ford F150 and are completely satisfied and having been enjoying ever minute of our Jayco Experience. Great product, fantastic dealer and great campgrounds all make owning a TT a great experience. also our F150 does a great job of hauling this trailer and our old 30' wildwood. You should have no problems with the right hookup.
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #18

You have a lot to say in one thread.

One thing you must remember, which I think a lot of people fail to realize. These campers are all handmade. I think a lot of people compare them to a car, and they are not. Cars are made with stamped out, molded, and robotics. Trailers are virtually all handmade. Humans have off days. I always say you cannot have a good day without a bad day. Trailers are closer to a house than a car. If you have ever bought or built a new house, there are lots of warranty items that must be addressed. Some are easy and minor some are a bit more complicated.

What I like about Jayco, is there two year warranty. I used it during both years. I could have dealt with a number of minor items, but I just let the dealer do it. One thing I do not like about Jayco is all the staples used.

Jayco like any other manufacture, wants to get the most out for the lowest cost, for the greatest return. Labor costs in a manual process is significate to their bottom line. I think the only camper manufactures that go slow will be for the $500K custom motorhomes. I have in a few and thought that for that kind of money they could have done much better.

There are a lot of different thoughts on how a TT should be built. Now days, everyone wants lightweight and cheap. To build light, you have to start with a lighter frame, which probably flexes more. Then the framing needs to be light. Where I think Jayco and the other companies could do better with is sealing the “envelope” which is how they caulk and seal all the exterior joints. For example, every manufacture uses a self-leveling caulking on the roof. It would be much better to use Eternabond. It’s a better product, but it would take more people and longer to install. Causing an increase in sale cost, or lower profit.

As for the particular unit you are looking at, I am not familiar with it. Expect a few warranty issues, hopefully nothing major. If you do not live near the dealer, camp with it near the dealer for a few nights before returning home, and have them fix them right away. Most of my issues were minor things that we annoyances, like a piece of trim came loose after a few trips, a water leak in the bathroom from the sink. After a few trips back to the dealer, I told them what I thought the issue was, showed a few phots and recommended a repair. They did it, and it has never leaked again. Maintenance with trailers is very important. If you do not check the roof at least once a year you WILL have leaks you will probably have 3 years before the caulking starts to crack, just the way it is.

As for the bed, you might be able to modify the frame for an 80” mattress. The Original Mattress Factory will make custom mattresses to fit RVs.

I strongly recommend going to the dealership, ditching the sales person, sitting in the trailer you are seriously considering. Think about how and where you are going to use it. Then dig through every cabinet, nook and cranny and figure out where you are going to put your stuff, and how you are going to use the TT. Working with a good dealer that has experience and knowledge along with a good service reputation is very important. Bad deallers I think give a bad name to any manufacture.

Lemons are everywhere, just need to learn how to add a bit of sugar and water and make something good of it. If you are really worried about buying a lemon, find the TT in stock that you want. Dig through it, look it over closely, move the slides, and so forth, before signing the paperwork. This way you know if there is a soft spot on the floor, or the linoleum is torn, a drawer is loose. Then go through the comprehensive PDI, once the paperwork is signed.

The only regret is not buying mine years earlier.

Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #19

Quote:
the unit we are looking at is the 2016 28 BHBE Elite, with the 15k A/C, the TriFold bed and thermal package added on. We were hoping for an 80" long mattress but have learned it's not even an option for the queen. for those of you with Travel trailers 2010 or newer, would you do it again? any advice?
Look at the 29QBS, it has triple bunks (in a separate area with heat and AC) and it has a FULL SIZE QUEEN BED!!! We originally looked at the 26BHS, bed too short. Then we looked at the 28BHBE. The bed was too short but my feet could hang off without hitting a wall. The downfall to the BHBE was the lack of AC and heat in the bunk area. I remember taking a cross country 6 week trip 20+ years ago as a kid and having a coffin-like bunk bed. It was HOT in there, no moving air, no AC vents. The 29QBS has a separate room (with a curtain, not a door) and a separate AC vent, heat register, roof vent, tv hookup and wardrobes. That sold it for us!!!

Now on to quality... unless you buy an Airstream you are buying a pile of crap. They are all crap trailers. They are thrown together as quick as they can to keep costs down. My experience is that Jayco is the best piece of crap for this pricepoint. I went to a lot of RV shows in the years before we bought this camper and walked through every make and most model trailers.

The Jayco JayFlight line is just built strong. The floors are solid, the roof system is strong. Cabinets don't feel like cardboard in your hand. Designs make sense, you can fully open cabinet doors and move around inside the Jayco.

I have no regrets about our camper. It suits us VERY well. We are at the beach right now, in fact. The 15K upgrade AC is awesome. We have a much bigger camper with a slide out than my wife's parents. They are in the site next to us with the smaller non-slide camper and a 13.5K AC that doesn't keep them nearly as cool. The slide out really gives you so much more useable space. With a 2.5 year old and 7 month old, we needed room inside to get around each other without bumping or tripping over each other. Very satisfied.

I hope you guys make a decision that you enjoy!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:15 PM   #20

The 29 qbs is too heavy for us unfortunately..