Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2021, 09:53 PM   #61

I'm one year into a 23 Jayfeather BHM, have 5 kids from 17-8 and we love it. At this point we've made a few significant modifications, a couple more planned out but so far very few issues.

A sail switch (furnace) and circuit board for the water heater and the capacitance touch thermostat are the only issues. Dometic sent me a new tstat cover no questions asked except for mailing address and the dealership fixed both the water heater and furnace inside of 2 hrs.

Otherwise no issues. We know this is an investment in family time only, it's worth it.

Workmanship on Jaycos seems as good or better than any other manufacturer I've seen and I like to look at tt's at random rv lots - I like to see if anything is better out there, because, you know, upgrade.

The only gripe I have is that jayco still uses luan sandwich which is dumb, and has tiny gray tank space.

Compared to other trailers like lance - the materials (besides azdel) and components are the same, the weights are close, which means that you are paying a premium for the name (or California taxes?). There's a few manufacturers out there that really do beef up suspensions, frames, and construction techniques (outdoors rv) but then you need a better towing vehicle and hell, outdoors rv is still cheaper than a lance.

If I get another tt it'll be the same floor plan, not too big, not too small, and those rainy evening family memories squashed around the table playing uno and whatnot...totally worth it.

Last, a word about tow vehicle.
My trailer loaded is 6700lbs. We were towing with a 2014 suburban, 5.7. Tow package, max tow weight of 8800lbs, and were limited to 65mph without significant trailer sway occurring everytime we got passed. This last trip we towed with the pickup truck, max tw of 11000. Night and day difference. We towed with so much more confidence, little to no trailer sway at almost any speed and whatever was passing us. Really do take a serious look at your tow capabilities because it will make your travelling experience relaxing or an anxiety ridden nightmare.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:57 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSpartacus View Post
I'm one year into a 23 Jayfeather BHM, have 5 kids from 17-8 and we love it. At this point we've made a few significant modifications, a couple more planned out but so far very few issues.

A sail switch (furnace) and circuit board for the water heater and the capacitance touch thermostat are the only issues. Dometic sent me a new tstat cover no questions asked except for mailing address and the dealership fixed both the water heater and furnace inside of 2 hrs.

Otherwise no issues. We know this is an investment in family time only, it's worth it.

Workmanship on Jaycos seems as good or better than any other manufacturer I've seen and I like to look at tt's at random rv lots - I like to see if anything is better out there, because, you know, upgrade.

The only gripe I have is that jayco still uses luan sandwich which is dumb, and has tiny gray tank space.

Compared to other trailers like lance - the materials (besides azdel) and components are the same, the weights are close, which means that you are paying a premium for the name (or California taxes?). There's a few manufacturers out there that really do beef up suspensions, frames, and construction techniques (outdoors rv) but then you need a better towing vehicle and hell, outdoors rv is still cheaper than a lance.

If I get another tt it'll be the same floor plan, not too big, not too small, and those rainy evening family memories squashed around the table playing uno and whatnot...totally worth it.

Last, a word about tow vehicle.
My trailer loaded is 6700lbs. We were towing with a 2014 suburban, 5.7. Tow package, max tow weight of 8800lbs, and were limited to 65mph without significant trailer sway occurring everytime we got passed. This last trip we towed with the pickup truck, max tw of 11000. Night and day difference. We towed with so much more confidence, little to no trailer sway at almost any speed and whatever was passing us. Really do take a serious look at your tow capabilities because it will make your travelling experience relaxing or an anxiety ridden nightmare.
It's all about the payload ... the payload ... the payload. I absolutely LOVE Suburbans, but their payload capacity just ain't right. They're absolutely fantastic for hauling people and gear inside, but add a couple hundred lbs of trailer tongue weight and things can get squirrely in a hurry. The pickup is better equipped to handle payload, and I'm betting it has more capacity available as well. We're currently using our Tahoe Z-71 to tow a boat. And while we're within our capacities, the softer off-road suspension squats a little too much for my comfort (and points the headlights too high). I'm going to bag the suspension to get the loaded ride right while not sacrificing the great "empty" ride.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:48 PM   #63

You are so right. Payload, payload, payload.

I'll never forget the first dealer I went to. Asked me what I was towing with and tried to sell me 9k lb 30 foot trailers. I balked at the size, had I known how limited we really were I would've punched him in the face.

As it is, I'm so glad we went with a 23 footer, we have access to some spots that we wouldn't in a bigger trailer, it still has the storage we need, and even with all of us in there, it isnt crowded, its cozy (we all get along pretty well, I have great kids).

Payload, payload, payload!
Old 01-23-2021, 08:52 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
It's all about the payload ... the payload ... the payload. I absolutely LOVE Suburbans, but their payload capacity just ain't right. They're absolutely fantastic for hauling people and gear inside, but add a couple hundred lbs of trailer tongue weight and things can get squirrely in a hurry. The pickup is better equipped to handle payload, and I'm betting it has more capacity available as well. We're currently using our Tahoe Z-71 to tow a boat. And while we're within our capacities, the softer off-road suspension squats a little too much for my comfort (and points the headlights too high). I'm going to bag the suspension to get the loaded ride right while not sacrificing the great "empty" ride.
You should be able to shift the weight of the boat back on the trailer to lighten the tongue weight on the Z-71. Then move the winch bar back.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:49 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
You should be able to shift the weight of the boat back on the trailer to lighten the tongue weight on the Z-71. Then move the winch bar back.
Love the idea! But the hull hangs far enough off the back of the bunks as it is, and I don't really want to shift weight back on the trailer; it's pretty well balanced IMO. It's just the suspension in the truck is "too soft", so I'll stiffen it up a little when I need it by installing air bags that I can adjust depending on the load.

Basic install should be pretty easy and affordable, but I'm not a "basic install" kind of guy. I'll probably end up installing a pump and plumbing with a switch up in the cab so I can adjust the suspension with the flip of a switch. You just never know with us; we've been known to stop at the home improvement store and load that truck up. Be nice to have the on-board pump and level out the truck as needed. Plus there may be a utility trailer in our future, and you just never know what I'm going to be hauling...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote