Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #1

Do you leave your water heater on?

Next week will be my first extended trip in our 32BHDS after many weekend and short trips. Since we'll be washing dishes and showering daily is it best to leave the water heater on all the time? Or is it best to turn it on only when we need hot water? About how long does it take for the little 6 gallon heater to warm up using electric or propane??
turkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #2

From cool water to hot enough that you can't hold your hands under it. About 20 minutes on electric only. Faster then that if you use propane and electric. We leave ours off when we move because recovery time is so quick. If we are setting, we leave electric on all the time. Almost never use propane if were hooked up to shore power.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #3

Never really timed it but about 30 to 45 mins to warm up.

I think propane may be quicker than electric, but really just a guess on my part.
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
Site Team

We leave our on electric when parked on 50a. On 30a, we turn it off to conserve amps for other things until bath time.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #5

If we have our 30 amp power, we leave the water heater on all the time using the electric element - unless we have to turn it off to use the microwave.

Otherwise we are using the water heater on propane, and we turn it on for the evening meal and dish washing and showers, and then turn it off when showers are done. Of course, if we need it at other times we just turn it on - and then off when done.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:07 PM   #6

X2 on the leave it on electric when at a campground. If we are in a warm area we will only use electric. There are anywhere from two to seven adults in our camper as the kids are now adults so depending on whether or not we need to have a faster recovery would determine if we use the propane. If the input water is cold and we have to all take showers in a row we would put the propane on otherwise we just use the electric. It really depends on how fast a recovery rate you need and how long your previous shower takes. We never have it on when we are traveling. If you plug in at the campground and turn on the electric then start the set-up process you will be warm enough by the time you are settled and want to use it.

You may also want to monitor your electricity usage when using the electric element to heat the water. I have had the breaker blow at the shore power hookup point when using the electric heat for the water with the A/C on and one of my kids tried the microwave. Oh and the refrigerator was on the electric too.

Greg
2011 Jayco Eagle 304BHK
2006 Jayco Select 12HW Pop Up
2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison, L5P
DelawareEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #7

Thanks for the excellent information - especially with the info regarding the 30 amps and possibly tripping fuses. We're on,y connected to a 30 amp circuit so I think we'll turn it on about half an hour before we think we will use it.

Here's possibly a dumb question - I assume that the electric and the propane heaters, when switched on, will cycle off when the water reaches a certain temperature and then back on again when water is used or cooled - exactly like a home hot water heater. Is this correct?
turkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Correct. Most do not have an adjustable thermostat so the water tends to be hotter and makes it last longer when mixed for comfort.
Just remember not to get scalded.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:50 PM   #9

I turn mine on when I get up and turn it off after breakfast and it's more than enough for dishes and a shower. Turn it on after dinner for about 15 min. For dishes and washing hands. I know it's included in my daily stay but why waste it.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
I turn mine on when I get up and turn it off after breakfast and it's more than enough for dishes and a shower. Turn it on after dinner for about 15 min. For dishes and washing hands. I know it's included in my daily stay but why waste it.
I doubt there is a lot of difference in power use if you leave it on all day versus turning it on when needed. The tank is heavily insulated and the thermostat will only supply power when it needs to maintain temperature.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #11

I have a seasonal site and I turn the electric hot water on when I arrive and leave it on until I leave. I only turn the gas on too if there's a que for the shower. I've never had a breaker blow but I haven't used the AC either. Something to think about if it gets hot.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #12

Get up in morning, turn on water heater on propane, leave on till after breakfast dishes, leave off till supper dishes then leave it on for about 1 hour and after taking shower then turn it off and start all over the next morning. Did this last year and we only used 7 gallons of propane in 6 weeks. Also cooked on the stove. During the day washing hands the water was still hot.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #13

If we are at an electric site, the water heater is on (electric) when we arrive to camp and is turned off when we leave. We have a 30 amp shore power. I have never tripped the main using the water heater along with the ac or microwave.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:37 PM   #14

If you are using city water inlet; does the water heater automatically fill up and if it does do you empty when you store?
diver57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parcany View Post
Get up in morning, turn on water heater on propane, leave on till after breakfast dishes, leave off till supper dishes then leave it on for about 1 hour and after taking shower then turn it off and start all over the next morning. Did this last year and we only used 7 gallons of propane in 6 weeks. Also cooked on the stove. During the day washing hands the water was still hot.
Exactly, adds up doesn't it.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver57 View Post
If you are using city water inlet; does the water heater automatically fill up and if it does do you empty when you store?
I know it fills when you connect to city water but I don't think it empties unless you drain it.

On my first trip last year I discovered the hot water tank fills but the fresh water tank doesn't. Seemed odd at the time but makes sense now.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver57 View Post
I turn the hot water tap on in the kitchen sink after hooking up to city water, then when water starts to flow i turn on the water heater.

I also have never tripped anything by using the water heater with ac and/or microwave.
kodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:33 AM   #18

kodes, you probably have not had all three drawing power at the same time. The chances are when the AC and microwave were on the water heater thermostat had it cut off.

AC = 13 amps + microwave 10 amps + water heater 15 amps = 38 amps.

If you have a 50 amp RV you've got it covered. But if you have 30 amp service either the pedestal breaker or the RV breaker WILL trip if all three are demanding power at the same time.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
If we are at an electric site, the water heater is on (electric) when we arrive to camp and is turned off when we leave. We have a 30 amp shore power. I have never tripped the main using the water heater along with the ac or microwave.

Same here.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #20

Electric on when we plug in at the site, gas on only for shower time at night, electric off when we unplug. We even stopped turning it on during our prep time in the driveway, no real reason, just no need for it to be on...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote