Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #1

Do you use the under sink water filter

I did a quick search about this but wanted need more opinions. My under sink filter wasn't put on when I bought my trailer. It will be very difficult to get at the connections. I may even remove the drain pipes to make it easier to get at. The guy who gave me the tour of of the trailer told me that most people don't use them. I don't know if I believe him. I stay mainly in campgrounds with hook ups and never used one on my previous trailer. The dealer told me that they cost 50 dollars to replace every year and he didn't like the idea of water going through a potentially dirty filter. Is it worth the cost of putting in a RO system, a two stage filter, the no.3 filter that came with the trailer or no filter. The line is cross threaded where the filter goes and I had a small leak there today so I gotta deal with this. What say you?

Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #2

We use ours. On our pop up it was pretty to change. On the skylark it is harder to get to. They do have filters that connect to the water line outside that I am thinking on getting next season.

2012 Skylark KFV - Gone
2010 Jayco 806 - Gone
Zombied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #3

We never did hook ours up. I looked under the kitchen sink and decided it would be more hassle than it was worth. We do use a blue torpedo inline filter (Walmart) and replace it every year. Ours is connected like this: water spigot -> pressure regulator -> blue water filter -> water hose -> trailer input.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
I did a quick search about this but wanted need more opinions. My under sink filter wasn't put on when I bought my trailer. It will be very difficult to get at the connections. I may even remove the drain pipes to make it easier to get at. The guy who gave me the tour of of the trailer told me that most people don't use them. I don't know if I believe him. I stay mainly in campgrounds with hook ups and never used one on my previous trailer. The dealer told me that they cost 50 dollars to replace every year and he didn't like the idea of water going through a potentially dirty filter. Is it worth the cost of putting in a RO system, a two stage filter, the no.3 filter that came with the trailer or no filter. The line is cross threaded where the filter goes and I had a small leak there today so I gotta deal with this. What say you?
We do the same as wiscampsin has said. Cheaper water filter (Wally World) and replace it every year or sooner if you RV a lot. It does a good job and much easier to change, etc.:hihi:
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My TT came with one, have yet to hook it up (don't plan to). I do use an outside sediment filter, same style as the one I have tied into my home water system. For drinking water I always have a 2 1/2 gallon plastic container of spring water on hand.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscampsin View Post
We never did hook ours up. I looked under the kitchen sink and decided it would be more hassle than it was worth. We do use a blue torpedo inline filter (Walmart) and replace it every year. Ours is connected like this: water spigot -> pressure regulator -> blue water filter -> water hose -> trailer input.
We do the same as wiscampsin, hooked up in the same order.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #7

I used it the first year, took it off to winterize, put on the straight tube and never bothered with the filter again. Seems like a waste of time to keep putting it on.
Albertaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #8

Thanks for the replys. Sounds like the the dealership guy was right. Other options are available that are both cheaper and probably just as effective. I wonder if Jayco came up with a better design that made it easier and cheaper to chage the cartridge, more people would use them?
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Don attaches the $15 WM filter at the water spiggot. Have gone through two in the six-seven months we've used a water hook-up in a cg over the past (almost) two years. Just have to store it in a cold fridge when not in use.
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #10

I also use the Walmart blue filter, at the spigot just after the pressure regulator. In addition, I have a Brita filter attached to the kitchen tap for my drinking water.

Sometimes the blue filter doesn't seem to make the water drinkable, but when I switch on the Brita filter, it always tastes good. The Brita filter cost me about $20, and is supposed to be good for 100 gallons. It even has an LED indicator light to let you know when it's time for a filter changeout.

Bill

SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote