Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #1

Does anyone know what this is?

Hi,

I have attached an image of a cable that exists within my 2010 Jayco 32BHDS travel trailer that I am trying to identify what it is for. Does anyone know? It is located directly under the j-cube in the bunkhouse. It looks like some kind of disconnect but not sure what it goes too.

There is no mention of this cable in any of the owner's manuals I have. It goes through the floor but unfortunately I can't look from under the trailer without opening the underbelly which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1470.jpg  
wbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #2

Have you checked to see if there is voltage in the cables? 12v I'm guessing, but have no idea what it could be for.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:12 PM   #3

It looks like it's factory pre-wiring for some option that apparently was not installed on your unit. The blue connectors are typically used on 12v wiring on boats, cars, RV's, etc. You could take a voltmeter and verify if there is voltage across the terminals.
Rice1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:14 PM   #4

Was there an option other than the j cube for that area? Looks like a wire for a light. Those look like they are scotch connectors that splice wires together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #5

Thanks for your reply. No, I hadn't thought of checking that; but will (in the spring).

I started wondering if this cable might be a connection between the rear brake lights to activate the brakes? I don't think so because I would expect the activation of the brakes would be a dedicated wire from the 7 wire connector that connects to the truck; not certain. Also, what kind of defeats the thinking that this goes between the brake lights and trailer brakes is that the cable comes through the left side of the inside of the slideout wall (closest to the rear of trailer). This wouldn't be the best path for this given the moving slide-out.

In any event, I will make a point of testing for voltage with and without brake lights on.

I can't find any lights or electrical components on outside of the rear slide either. And it certainly doesn't control the slide-out motor as the wire has always been disconnected (as shown) and the slide out operates just fine with it disconnected.

Driving me nuts....

Bill
Old 01-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #6

Did you buy this rig used? Cause that looks like a home made repair of a cut or broken wire. I've never seen Jayco use a wire tie down like that (but perhaps they did back in 2010. But that type tie down with it's two little nails would require someone to actually hammer it in. The Jayco factory is going to use an air powered staple gun.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarnes View Post
Hi,

I have attached an image of a cable that exists within my 2010 Jayco 32BHDS travel trailer that I am trying to identify what it is for. Does anyone know? It is located directly under the j-cube in the bunkhouse. It looks like some kind of disconnect but not sure what it goes too.

There is no mention of this cable in any of the owner's manuals I have. It goes through the floor but unfortunately I can't look from under the trailer without opening the underbelly which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Bill
As Magnolia Tom said, the blue objects appear to be a way to splice wires together; not really connectors for anything. It looks like one black and one white wire goes through the floor. Can you see where other end of those two wires go?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #8

Hi Magnolia Tom and Rice,

I managed to dig out the brochure for this model year. There were only 2 options available for this space. These were the jcube futon sofa (which I have) and a Trundel bed. I can't think of any electrical requirements the trundel bed option would require this for other than if the trundel bed was motorized (but based on other models I've seen; I've only known them to be manual pull-outs).

The area already has a nite light for the jcube/trundel bed so its not for interior nite light.

Bill
Old 01-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #9

Hmmm, Interesting point OldmanAZ and BuddyRay. Yes, I did buy the rig used. The wire originates on the left side panel of the slide out (when looking at the slide out face on). I recall it being approx 12" long between that wall to the end of the connector you see secured under the tie-down. The the other connector continues down through the floor of the slide out.

Hmmm, now you have me thinking that I may not need to remove the underbelly because it goes through the slide out floor which should have its underside exposed. Will have to see if I can see it from underside once spring arrives. But still not sure what electrical component would be under the slide other than the slide out motor (which is operating fine with this cable seemingly disconnected)

Bill
Old 01-26-2017, 07:55 PM   #10

As others have said, it's just a wire splice. Whoever made the splice just used what they had handy. Could be a repair or could have been done in the factory.

https://www.amazon.com/Morris-10777-...eeze+wire+taps
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #11

Here is another pic that shows the whole wire and where it is originating from / going to. The wall it comes from is the inside of the left slide out wall. I don't recall it exiting the slide-out wall on the opposite side though.

I think spring will be more telling when I can re-examine under the slide out.

Thanks for all the ideas guys and brainstorming guys.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1469.jpg  
Old 01-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #12
M&A

Interesting the use of split-loom - I've added that but have not seen this from factory.
M&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbarnes View Post
Here is another pic that shows the whole wire and where it is originating from / going to. The wall it comes from is the inside of the left slide out wall. I don't recall it exiting the slide-out wall on the opposite side though.

I think spring will be more telling when I can re-examine under the slide out.

Thanks for all the ideas guys and brainstorming guys.

Bill
Right by the bed? C-PAP maybe?

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #14

Have the vin number? call Jayco and ask for the wiring diagram. It will show all the factory wires for your TT. Also most of the wires are color coded, for traceability. If not shown then it was an add on from a previous owner. If so, I suspect it will be hot. I would also doubt that a pervious owner would go through the work to pull the underbelly to run a wire. If it was for a CPAP, good chance it is directly routed back to the fuse panel.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #15

I'm pretty sure this is not a factory installed cable. It was something the previous owner installed and is most likely was or is a 12 vdc power source for something the previous owner used. Or a speaker wire, but I would doubt that.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #16

How long have you owned it? Did you buy it from a private party? If so maybe you could contact them and ask if this is a factory wire or if they had run it.

If you bought from a dealer, no way they would know.

Just a thought.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

I agree it looks like a plug for a 12v accessory of some sort. Without some sort of assurance that it was professionally installed, you may wish to trace it back to make sure it is fused. Check for an extra wire coming off the battery tray of the same gauge and colour as the positive, the ground may just be back to the frame.

I wish it was a bit warmer so I could cross a few things off my camper to do list as my camper will not fit in the garage
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #18

I don't know what it is either, but I have one in the same place for my 2014 32BHDS.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #19

Power supply for a backup camera?
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #20

I have seen splices like that for a USB charger
bobnatty1 is offline   Reply With Quote