Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2021, 06:55 AM   #1

Doing a 3 Month Loop around US - What Should I Be Doing Now to Prepare?

Hi Jayco Owners.
We're taking off mid-June from SC and doing a southern run to CA, up to OR and back the northern loop. 3 months and 7666 miles and DW has all the reservations and route planned.

What should I be doing now to prepare our Jayco 264BH? Should I get a Good Sam Tire & Wheel Protection? Get the hubs repacked with fresh grease? (new in September 2020 and gone 1,000 miles so far). We'll be upgrading our generator to handle our 15k A/C. 200 AH LiFePo batteries installed with solar on it's way.

Any and all suggestions from you road warriors will be most appreciated.
"Use it or loose it."
SkipperD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:25 AM   #2

Your wheel bearings should be GTG.How do the tires look?
Cant say anything about tire protection.

I would be more concerned about your tow vehicle.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:09 AM   #3

Good point mokurt. TV is a GMC Yukon 4x4 with new tires and well maintained. GVWR is well within limits.
"Use it or loose it."
Old 03-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #4

Sounds like a fun trip. Have a great time and post a write up about it for us!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperD View Post
Good point mokurt. TV is a GMC Yukon 4x4 with new tires and well maintained. GVWR is well within limits.

You’re realistically about to put on 10K miles and most of it towing. I would change fluids in the differentials, transmission, transfer case, engine oil, and rotate tires the week before starting. Then, plan to get an oil change and tire rotation again mid trip.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #6

At minimum I would repack the wheel bearings, the old fashion way. Inspect everything. Some people have claimed, their bearing where light on grease. I had a broken retaining clip.

As for the TV, make sure you are up on your maintenance. How old are your tires?? I would also recommend rinsing off the radiator. Be careful do not use a high pressure washer, or you might damage it. This will allow the engine to run cooler.

As for any roadside assistance, that is personal. I hate waiting. I have about 1 flat every 10 years, between all our vehicles and trailers.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
You’re realistically about to put on 10K miles and most of it towing. I would change fluids in the differentials, transmission, transfer case, engine oil, and rotate tires the week before starting. Then, plan to get an oil change and tire rotation again mid trip.
X2. I would also check belts,hoses,air filter replace if necessary. While they are rotating the tire have the brakes checked. Be safe on a great adventure!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
The guy has a 2019 Yukon. How many miles on it? Changing all fluids is most likely a bit on the extreme side. Most likely just need an oil change and tire rotation and ready to go.
SickDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #9

I'd pick up a couple of 5-gal. gas cans (or diesel cans, if applicable) and keep them full. You never know where the next gas station is going to be (especially on that southern loop). Sounds like a great adventure! Enjoy!
Old 03-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickDay View Post
The guy has a 2019 Yukon. How many miles on it? Changing all fluids is most likely a bit on the extreme side. Most likely just need an oil change and tire rotation and ready to go.

2019, probably bought in ‘18, and never had any of that service done. 8000miles of towing, in a Yukon. It’s not like it’s a heavy duty truck.
GM suggests doing those things at 45K anyway. Knowing how most people do service, it’s close or over and hasn’t had them done.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #11

Check the brakes a must.
We forgot about the air conditioner.Not working well now. We havent needed it much and before we left hone at 0 degrees it skipoed our mind
Filters and level of charge
Just pulling in after a ME to CA and back trip
Of course it is the hottest day today In Maine yet
Third winter comes this weekend

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #12

Doing a 3 Month Loop around US - What Should I Be Doing Now to Prepare?

I would come up with a fuel plan based on your route. You can save a lot of money. Truck stops can give you discounts, might need a fuel credit card. At least Load Gas Buddy app on your phone, they also give fuel discounts. You can decide which side of state border to fuel up. The spread between freeway interchanges can be as much as .65 cents a gallon. Costco’s and grocery store is not a good option while towing.

If you get a prepaid fuel card at the truck stop, you can use those truck pumps. Pick one outfit like Maverick, Loves or Pilot that has the most stations on your route, then you get the cash price also.

Cash will regularly give you better pricing on fuel so we always have a couple hundred in 20’s. Not everyone takes 100’s.

If diesel, make sure you have a spare DEF fluid, we almost ran out on one trip and that would have been a big problem.

I carry a spare fuel filter, maybe even an oil filter, especially important for a diesel.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #13

The weather in the central valley ( Bakersfield to Redding ) California in July and August can get pretty nasty, 100-105 degrees. Air Conditioning is your friend both tv and tt. Again have a great trip.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 03:33 PM   #14

I would make sure you know what you are going to do if your trailer breaks down and has to be towed. Does you insurance cover it.

Check with your insurance company and make sure you have adequate coverage on your trailer. It may not be covered for collision when being towed.

Know the speed limits for towing in all the states you will pas through. In PA the speed limit is 55 when towing unless it is posted lower.

Make sure you have a way to pay tolls when towing. Some states like New York have only electronic tolls on I-90.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:56 PM   #15

I have over 35k miles so far, having bought my Yukon used at 18k. Manual suggests changing fluids at 45k if heavy usage such as towing. I'll go ahead and change all the fluids before I go. I'll have the A/C looked at as I lived in SoCal for 25 years and I know it gets to 115F in August. I'll check into prepaid gas cards. I think Good Sam members gets a discount as well. I'll add insurance and towing to my list as well. Great suggestions y'all.
"Use it or loose it."
Old 03-11-2021, 04:41 PM   #16

Good Sam members get 5 cents off a gallon of Gas at Pilot/Flying J stops.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:34 PM   #17

As a suggestion for gas cans, harbor freight has the best price for metal jerry cans. Get you a couple of those.

Buy an extra spare tire, have a jack that works on with your trailer, have extra lug nuts, a small tool set.

Might consider a cb radio, not all places get cell service (not sure of your route).

Get some eternabond tape for woopsies on the roof.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:11 PM   #18

Sounds like a fun trip, I'll be about 5 years behind you!

I agree with a lot of suggestions... change your fluids, check your brakes, inspect your tires, etc. Look at your insurance to see if they cover towing a stranded vehicle (and towing your trailer too). If it doesn't, either upgrade for the year or find a 2nd service (Good Sam or AAA come to mind) that covers those.

Even with a new trailer, I would personally inspect and pack the bearings before putting those kinds of miles on the trailer.

In terms of the GS tire/wheel package... Not sure what tires came on the trailer, but I might consider upgrading them if they aren't heavier tires like Goodyears or equivalent. A TPMS is your friend too, especially one that measures heat. I'd prefer to have a beefier and better quality tire and no "insurance" then to have a marginally adequate tire and a blowout that damages my trailer. RV trailer tires are known to be just barely enough... I prefer my tires to be overkill. For $400 you can get 4 brand new Endurance D or E range tires with 65 or 80 psi ratings that will substantially reduce the risk of having a catastrophic tire failure.

Pay close attention to fuel stops and availability, especially with a gas engine. Try to plan out and make sure you'll have enough fuel to get you between destinations.

A single 15K AC in the southeast might be warm at times. You don't have a slideout, but the SLX line isn't known for great insulation. I'd suggest getting some reflectix for the windows to try to keep some of that hot sun out of the camper while you're heading down the road or at a campsite. That interior will get piping hot in the full sun.

Most important, have fun. Expect some bad traffic, some bad weather and some minor mechanical issues. Don't let it ruin your trip, take it in stride. Newer truck and trailer should hopefully limit mechanical issues. Don't have too many days of long drives in a row, it'll wear you out. Make sure to find occasional campgrounds that have a pool to allow you to unwind after a long day of driving. Drink plenty of water, try to find routes that aren't on interstates and make a lot of meals at your camper if you can.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:21 PM   #19

Sounds like a great trip. I'm wondering if the Yukon is standard or the XL version. I just traded in my Denali, the long version. I never towed anything heavy. perhaps ATVs on the flatbed or my 5 by 8 utility trailer because I had a dually for the real heavy loads. But that 6.2 engine would have done a really good job towing your TT. The only real advice I would have is, take plenty of emergency money. You can not plan for bad luck. Stuff happens occasionally, and it will be great if you make your entire trip without an incident, but you may end up spending an unplanned week in a motel. Hope not!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:22 AM   #20

I found Google Maps on my phone to be my friend. It can give you the location of any gas stations in your area and the price ( which in our case was an estimate). The fuel can is a good idea. We went across Texas in the famous storm of 21 and when we finally emerged from Big Bend finding a station with power was the issue. Cell signal across our route was good.. Even in the middle of Death Valley.

There will be issues. We lost the door to the water heater on a highway and the furnace quit. But we were able to solve with duct tape cardboard and a $20 ceramic Wal Mart heater and a big quilt also from WM when there were no hookups.

Now that we are home we can get everything fixed right.

Our toughest pull was not in the West at all. It was through KY and West Virginia . The latter is either down or up. No flat. Beware long grades in the West. The slope is deceiving and before you know it you have overheated your brakes.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote