Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #1

Dometic A/C Noise Reduction

Hello All:
I am new to Jayco RV trailers and new to Rving all together. I recently brought a 2020 Jayco 28BHBE TT. We went camping for the first time in it and the AC noise was horrible. The AC with the horrible noise is in our bedroom and is non-ducted. It's a Dometic 13.5K AC unit. Any suggestions on how I can reduce the noise level? I have looked at the RV Airflow system and the RV Air Silencer and they wont work on this unit.

I want to say thank you for all your post because you guys helped me make my travel trailer choice.
Man Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:00 PM   #2
CAG

I think if you do a search using the search feature at the top in the gold bar you will find a number of threads where the loud A/C units have been discussed along with a few suggestions, but there are few remedies.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Fire View Post
Hello All:
I am new to Jayco RV trailers and new to Rving all together. I recently brought a 2020 Jayco 28BHBE TT. We went camping for the first time in it and the AC noise was horrible. The AC with the horrible noise is in our bedroom and is non-ducted. It's a Dometic 13.5K AC unit. Any suggestions on how I can reduce the noise level? I have looked at the RV Airflow system and the RV Air Silencer and they wont work on this unit.

I want to say thank you for all your post because you guys helped me make my travel trailer choice.
It may help if you listened to a few other RV's A/C units and then determine if what you are hearing is what they all sound like, or if yours is louder than others for a reason. I had my A/C loosen up with the mounting bolts, but that was after a long time of use and when I tightened it the unit was quieter. They are all a bit loud, and if your is the same as others about all you can do is turn the fan speed lower. ~CA
Old 01-19-2021, 08:56 PM   #4

You tube video

My air is ducted and a lot quieter when the integrated duct is closed and all the air is directed from the vents. But since you are un-ducted - no help.
I found this video that works through a DIY fix - it might help. Wish we could just turn the fan down a little from Hurricane mode! The noise is why we did not opt for the 2nd AC unit in the bedroom. We just use a fan when needed to more more air from the main AC.
Lmbrjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:16 PM   #5

Okay, its pricey but there is a solution out there.

Micro air make a soft start technology that will reduce starting noise and amp draw.

They also sell a thermostat that "apparently" can slow the blower/compressor depending on the demand. Essentially dialing your ac to a lower idle to maintain temp rather than hard cycle it when the t-stat detects too high cabin temp.

I havent used their system but it's on my future consideration list due to the manufacturer claims.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. I will look at Micro Air to see what they have to offer. Sounds $$$.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #7

If you do go that route, would you mind looping back around here to let us know what ya came up with?
Old 01-20-2021, 10:31 AM   #8

I will. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-20-2021, 10:05 PM   #9

Spart - where did you see the information on the Micro- air being able to adjust fan and compressor speed? I can't seem to find it and I would like to know more.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #10

I went back through the brochures and I conflated the thermostat + soft start as having those capabilities.

It would lower your noise because the initial start up wont be so bad but i couldn't find anything about idling the ac allowed power to maintain temp.

My fault, i sincerely apologize.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #11

my unit is loud too i cant even hear the tv with it on. its aggervating

i wonder if this really works

another video
https://youtu.be/xphYFRzk3F0

if you make yours sound better let me know

looks like cleaning the filter will be a pain though
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 11:38 AM   #12

this seemed interesting too
https://youtu.be/4lcqqW5XVWI
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
my unit is loud too i cant even hear the tv with it on. its aggervating

i wonder if this really works

another video
https://youtu.be/xphYFRzk3F0

if you make yours sound better let me know

looks like cleaning the filter will be a pain though
I can attest that is does work. It’s a little pricy but the noise reduction is amazing, I’d say at least 20-30%. Only problem is the one in the video will not work on a non-ducted unit.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
this seemed interesting too
https://youtu.be/4lcqqW5XVWI
I’ve worked for commercial division of Trane for 26 years. First as a service technician, then Area Manager. With the massive product line Trane (and others) have I can tell you the technology exists to make a trailer unit dead quiet. The problem lies 100% in cost. I’ve seen little 2 ton units that you actually have to walk up to and put your hand out to feel the air to confirm its actually running.

I guarantee you at some point it will be like this for trailer units, but it will probably take another 5-10 years.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:35 PM   #15

UPDATE:
I installed the RV AC Silencer this morning on the AC unit in the living room which is ducted. HUGE DIFFERFENCE is noise reduction. Before the install I was at 60-61 db, after the RV AC Silencer I was reading at 51-52db. The flow was much improved as well. I don't know if the silencer is to blame for the air flow improvement because I also installed the RV Airflow system on the same unit. The airflow system units for the Dometic ACs just came out not to long ago. I am satisfied. A pretty penny but well worth the expense. Now if I could just find something for the AC unit in the bedroom which is non-ducted.
2020 Jayflight 28BHBE (SOLD)
Ford F-350 (SOLD)
Old 01-23-2021, 12:02 PM   #16

I am going to run a test on mine when I get it out of storage. With and without the cover plate so see if the noise level is reduced by not pumping the air through the louvre. Air turbulence is very noisy and on top of the compressor and fan noise - undesirable.
Would be interesting to see if a home built unit to baffle and redirect the air flow would help with the noise.
Being non-ducted seems to be the biggest issue for controlling the noise.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:17 PM   #17

Can you please give details about the air flow improver? Thanks. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
I can attest that is does work. It’s a little pricy but the noise reduction is amazing, I’d say at least 20-30%. Only problem is the one in the video will not work on a non-ducted unit.
I second that. We have a 284BHBE and this knocked down the noise considerable and improved the AC performance - largely since you need to tape up the ducting that caused escaped air. It is pricy, particularly once you see it's just plastic, but it's the value of what it brings. I can watch TV with the AC on and not have to blast the sound.
2013 Ford F150 Lariat EcoBoost Max Tow
Blue Ox Sway Pro
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Fire View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I will look at Micro Air to see what they have to offer. Sounds $$$.

I have a Coleman 15K non-ducted A/C and the Micro-Aire soft start device seemed to quiet it down a bit, but, just accept the fact that they're ALL loud, some just a little less loud. It's like white noise at night. Get some comfortable earplugs if it still bothers you. The Micro-Aire device lets you run it on a 2000/2200 watt generator.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:35 PM   #20

WHAT??!!

Our 13.5 Coleman is really loud and really effective, however we only use it occasionally to cool the trailer when we first set up.

Hope you find a solution. This forum is a treasure trove of information and helpful hints.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2020 jayco 28bhbe