Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2022, 12:20 PM   #1

Question Dometic Fridge on Propane Issue

Hoping someone has a tip for me. Having a problem with my Dometic fridge in my X17Z. Here's the issue:

When I want to switch from AC to propane, I simply unplug the power, the fridge on the automatic setting senses no power, and starts to click the igniter to light the pilot light. This has been working fine for five years, since we bought the trailer.

The problem now is, the pilot light starts as it should, but it only burns for a few minutes. It's as if the propane flow is weak or off. I have plenty of propane in the tanks, the line is purged (the three burners on the stove flame normally), there are no spiders or cobwebs blocking the line, so something else is the issue.

I suspect it's a little sensor malfunctioning on top of the brass valve in the propane line right before it enters the ignition area, but that's just a guess. If it were, it would be a simple DIY fix if I can get that part. See attached photo.

Anybody have this issue out there or know what might be choking the gas flow?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Dometic fridge.jpg  
Tim Hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 01:15 PM   #2

Likely a thermocouple not sensing a proper flame which shuts the gas off at the solenoid valve you have pointed to.
Verify your burner is clean, orifice isn't blocked. Check your burner for proper flame. Your thermocouple should be touching the flame. Flame should be mostly blue with slightly yellow tip. Clean and tighten thermocouple leads. The thermocouple may also be bad.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 03:36 PM   #3

Dometic Fridge on Propane Issue

Okay, this makes sense. I'll look into this. Thank you very much for your reply!

(I would disagree with your missus — it's not "useless" knowledge.)

;-)
Old 08-12-2022, 04:48 PM   #4

I agree with ARoamer. The giveaway is the short time before lockout. Thermocouple is not hard to replace if it is bad, but as said, rule out it being slightly out of place or covered in soot.
Also check the line from the thermocouple to the gas valve, if it is damaged that can also cause it to fail and would need to be replaced
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:05 AM   #5

Thank you! I appreciate the confirmation. Trying to avoid an expensive visit to the service department if this is an easy fix.

Tags
dometic, fridge, propane