Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2020, 06:36 PM   #1

Dometic Thermostat

I went out to check on my rv today and it was 32 degrees inside so I put out the slide where I could reach the thermostat control. I turned the controls to furnace at 72 and it cranked right up, all is well so far. When the temp got to 40 the furnace turned off. I went to the control and it had turned to AC and nothing I could do would make it go back to furnace. This is a known problem with this Dometic product as I went through this less than a year ago. I called Keystone RV Center in PA. and they were gracious enough to give me an appointment in three months. Now I suppose I could be considered a good customer because I have personally bought two rv's from them and took two friends there that each bought from them. Maybe that is why I will get in so quick. Ha!
I called Dometic and didn't get much help. I don't have a lot of liking for Camping World but once in a while I would window shop there or maybe buy small items instead of ordering so I called the one in Winchester, Va.to see if they had this thermostat controller in stock. Lo and behold they have closed their doors! I don't wonder why. Rant over. ps, I still really like my White Hawk.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Just a couple random thoughts........

* Disconnect shore power, then re-connect power which may 'reset' some electronics.
* Breaker box furnace fuse good?
* Furnace mounted 'reset' switch. With the wall thermostat control off, turn the furnace reset switch to 'off' for at least 60 seconds, then back to 'reset'.

Any changes at the wall thermostat?

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #3

I wonder if it is possible to replace your Dometic thermostat with a Coleman-Mach digital. The CM thermostat seems to be somewhat bullet proof. Mines going on 5 years and hasn't missed a beat.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I wonder if it is possible to replace your Dometic thermostat with a Coleman-Mach digital. The CM thermostat seems to be somewhat bullet proof. Mines going on 5 years and hasn't missed a beat.
I was told by a tech at Keystone RV Center that they would not interchange. I had it there for this same problem under warranty and I told him I would rather pay for this change but they said no. The tech tried four new out of the box thermostats before one of the new ones worked and now I am back with the same problem.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #5
CAG

I don't know whether you are still under warranty but just a suggestion. Because my "dealer" was 40 mile across town I asked and received permission to use a RV shop closer to me. I had to pay for the repairs and was reimbursed by the manufacturer. They had to approve any repair.

If you are not under warranty, it makes it easier to just find a shop close and work with them. My wait time when from 2-3 months to a week or less.

Most RV shops can handle warranty work on Dometic, HappyJac, etc. It is the coach itself that has to go through the manufacturer. This also makes it easier to get repairs done closer to home.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #6

CAG Thanks for the reply. I am only 30 miles from my dealer and it's about the closest one. Less than a year ago Dometic sent me a thermostat replacement and it wouldn't work right out of the box. That is when I went to the dealer and they went through four before finding one that worked. It is just a bad design. Dometic won't send me another, said I have to take it to the dealer. I am still under warranty. It is a ten minute change and the dealer won't work me in. This tells me a lot about a dealer.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
The short answer is NO. Dometic uses a " communicating " thermostat that only uses 3 wires. Now, that being stated, you could do away with this type but you 1st need more stat wires then one or more 12v relays but I need to see the schematic & component diagram to fully answer. A so so AC tech could do it if you want to spend the $.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:19 PM   #8

Just an update on my thermostat. I went out today and used the mode and I got fans high low and auto. I left it on auto and with the cover off I touched every button in every way I could. The ac mode temp scrolled up to 90 and stopped. After many tries I touched it and furnace mode came on so I set it to 70 and waited. The furnace came on and has been working and heating for about an hour now. I am going to leave it and see if it will cycle on and off on its on. Wonderful product this Dometic is.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #9

You may want to dig out the directions for the thermostat and see what all functions do what. Someone said that tapping and pressing the buttons give different results.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:23 AM   #10

Yesterday the furnace went off at 40 degrees. Contacted Dometic again and they said touch the mode button and the up arrow at the same time to reset. I did this today and got all controls working except I could only scroll up to 32 degrees on furnace with the cover off. I put the cover on and it jumped to 90 and I was able to scroll down to 55 which is what I chose to see if it will run and recycle. I will check it again in a couple hours. I am fortunate I am able to park it here at the home place.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
snip...... Contacted Dometic again and they said touch the mode button and the up arrow at the same time to reset.......snip
Do you know the model number of your Dometic thermostat that the 'reset' procedure is applicable for? I'm curious if it's the same model on my 2018 Jay Flight.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #12

Sorry I can't find a number on it without taking it apart and I have trouble posting pictures. They come in white or black and Say Dometic on the top, a mode panel on the left and on the right side are up panel and down panel. Nothing else written on it. When working touch any panel and a blue light comes on. These will not interchange with any other thermostat. Directly from Dometic.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Mine looks like the pic below, and my Dometic operating manual (single zone) refers to it as a Capacitive Touch Thermostat #3316410.XXX. I removed the cover but there wasn't any model number stamped..., must be on the backside of the base assembly.

"If" your's is the same model as mine...., I found one RV parts supplier web site stating that Dometic #3316410.000 thermostat has been replaced by #3316250.700 (white) thermostat. I wonder if the new model number series addresses the "known problem" you referred to in your original post??

Replacement of #3316410.000 statement reference (white):

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...furnace-white/

Reference new model number in black: https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...furnace-black/

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 01-20-2020, 12:39 PM   #14

These are the same. From my research the black and white are the same except color. After turning off 12 volt power and resetting a few times I have mine working now as long as I leave the cover off. I put the cover on it goes wacko!
Old 02-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #15

I am giving closure to my thermostat problem. Dometic customer service insisted my problem was the cover so they sent me a new one at no cost. I carefully explained the cover itself wasn't the problem but they own the company and sent me one. I put it on today and the thermostat went wacko again. Take the cover off and reset and it works fine with no cover so I guess we will live with no cover seeing as I have gotten accustomed to having heat.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #16

I had the same issue with mine,wouldn't work with the cover on.I e-mailed Dometic asking for a new cover and they sent me a new thermostat.So I put the new cover on the old thermostat and it works fine.Very piss poor design.The Dometic thermostat in my 2011 Wildwood worked much better.Check Amazon for the old style digital Dometic.
TomTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:14 PM   #17

This is somewhat tragic since 40 years ago Dometic was THE goto fridge and HVAC product. Other brands were good but nowhere near as popular as Dometic. At that time, I believe Dometic was a Swedish company and the fridges were made in Sweden. Bet the company has changed ownership and new owners are milking the brand reputation without maintaining the quality. I see this has already happened to Jayco since Thor bought them. It's not the same product as I bought pre-Thor.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #18

So years with this junk thermostat and they don’t have a fix yet? I just love camping when temps are in the 90s and I have to get up every hour all night to fiddle with a coverless thermostat trying to get the ac to come back on... This alone would have led me to buy another brand of rv that doesn’t have dometic ac if I had know what a miserable pain in the butt it was going to be.
SeaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 08:27 PM   #19

If you touch the up and down switch at the same time it changes the temperature from F to C. Do it again and it changes it from C to F.

The Dometic thermostats are not very reliable. At times the A/C will turn on, get the temperature to where the thermostat is set for then shut off but won't cycle the A/C back on again once the temperature rises. You have to put the thermostat into the off mode, then turn it back on and it will cool and cycle normally but for some reason the cycling will stop and I have to go through the off on process again. No rhyme or reason that I can find for why it does this.

One other thing about this thermostat that I don't understand. If the fan motor is set to high or low the A/C fan will blow constantly even though the mode is set to furnace. Why would they have designed a thermostat to have the A/C motor run when the furnace mode is selected?

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #20

Fan running

I just reviewed the operating manual for the Dometic thermostat. You asked why would you want the fan to run in furnace mode, and I have a possible reason. It circulates the air in the trailer more evenly, and since heat rises it makes it more even throughout. Putting the fan in auto means it won't run in furnace mode. We have run fan-only in certain situations just to mix the air.

My issue is the air conditioner fan cycles on and off in auto without the compressor coming on. Sometimes the fans runs for 10 seconds or less. I don't think this is dangerous but my wife is worried that there is a problem. I was looking for a way to change the temperature differential in cooling mode but couldn't find any info about that. My thermostat isn't Bluetooth, so I can't access the entire menu.

Anyone have any info about the cooling temp differential?
MikeyInNY is offline   Reply With Quote