Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #1

Don't let the rain come down, oh no

Hi, y'all. Not sure where the summer went but we are gearing up the 2017 17RB Baja Hummingbird to hit the road. Rained like all get-out here in Denver Metro tonight. We had the slide out on the Hummingbird and when we brought it back in, there was rain water on the top. And, then we had a little puddling on the floor in front of the slide.

So, is that what we can expect or should the slide be tighter than that when brought back in after a hard rain. We had it covered all winter, got snowed on, and never had water come in.

What's your experience with something like that. We are going out anyways, but just wondering.

Thanks, Campster
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:48 PM   #2

My understanding is that is to be expected. We have had the same on our trailer and just have some old towels on hand for when we bring in the slide after/during a good rain. The gaskets will squeegee a decent amount off but will still let enough through to run down the low side/run forward when you are lowering the trailer onto the hitch. Now if you have water coming in when the slide was out or in the whole time it was raining, then that is an issue and needs to be fixed.
WeRVoyagers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRVoyagers View Post
My understanding is that is to be expected. We have had the same on our trailer and just have some old towels on hand for when we bring in the slide after/during a good rain. The gaskets will squeegee a decent amount off but will still let enough through to run down the low side/run forward when you are lowering the trailer onto the hitch. Now if you have water coming in when the slide was out or in the whole time it was raining, then that is an issue and needs to be fixed.
Thanks. I appreciate that, and now my wife reminds me that maybe the water did come in while we're sitting down, meaning the slide was out... not a lot came in, but maybe more than should have. We used a little towel and that cleaned it all up. Will have it looked at if it does it again. Thank you for your quick response. Happy Trails ��
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
Thanks. I appreciate that, and now my wife reminds me that maybe the water did come in while we're sitting down, meaning the slide was out... not a lot came in, but maybe more than should have. We used a little towel and that cleaned it all up. Will have it looked at if it does it again. Thank you for your quick response. Happy Trails ��

We have a Hummingbird too, and a small amount of water is present when the slide comes in after a rain. Had a small leak once when I put the slide out at home but didn’t level it, and the slide being on the uphill side just a tad brought in a little water... but it was raining like hell so I think all-in-all it did pretty well.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:11 AM   #5

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Maybe look into a slide topper? They are the unsung heroes I’ve read in Trailer Life mag. They’re not cheap, but have great benefits of preserving your seals, shedding leaves, debris, and keeps slide cooler in sunlight. Oh, and keeps most of the rain off...meant to say this first.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:42 AM   #6
Site Team

We have slide toppers and still from time to time get some wet on the slides. Our solution is to avoid bringing them in during or after a hard rain. Even with slide toppers some water can be blown onto the actual slide roof. A small part will find it's way to the bottom and drip inside where ever the slides stop.

As others have stated, quickly wipe the top and sides when you have it in and it will reduce the problem.

One of our slides can not be accessed when it is in so we are very careful. Sometimes just a folded towel on the floor will be enough to catch any stray drops.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
We had the slide out on the Hummingbird and when we brought it back in, there was rain water on the top. And, then we had a little puddling on the floor in front of the slide.

With the slide out, raise or lower the tongue and give the water a chance to run off. Level it off again and bring the slide in.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 03:53 PM   #8

We have had a slide topper since day one. Have never experienced any water getting inside through all the rainy days that we've broken down camp.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote