Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2021, 09:27 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGendron View Post
I took the latch apart and cut 2 coils from the spring.
Welcome to JOF from SW Michigan!
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:16 PM   #42

Taking apart the door latch mechanism and oiling it to get the door to close easily makes sense... right?

But, if you want to try something way easier that I learned on another forum that worked great for many people that tried it - including me with my current RV and my past RV, try this. Take an old bar of soap (don't wet it) and put a skim coat of soap on the latch by rubbing it with the bar of soap, and a skim coat of soap on the area of the strike plate that the latch hits, and then try closing the door.

Don't ask why, don't think about it, don't question it, just try it. It will either work for you or not, and if not... you can always then go take the latch apart and try oiling it as suggested in previous posts.

You can thank me later...
Old 07-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGS View Post
Taking apart the door latch mechanism and oiling it to get the door to close easily makes sense... right?

But, if you want to try something way easier that I learned on another forum that worked great for many people that tried it - including me with my current RV and my past RV, try this. Take an old bar of soap (don't wet it) and put a skim coat of soap on the latch by rubbing it with the bar of soap, and a skim coat of soap on the area of the strike plate that the latch hits, and then try closing the door.

Don't ask why, don't think about it, don't question it, just try it. It will either work for you or not, and if not... you can always then go take the latch apart and try oiling it as suggested in previous posts.

Dry stick lubricant for locks and striker plates has been around for decades. Better than soap and it works, although it isnít a permanent solution. https://www.amazon.com/LUBE-DOOR-EAS...95450133&psc=1
😁 "If a man says heíll fix something, he will. Thereís no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #44

I have the same problem and it is new 2021 Jayco Flight 33rbts
jcabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Dry stick lubricant for locks and striker plates has been around for decades. Better than soap and it works, although it isnít a permanent solution.
I've used the dry stick lubricant in the past too. To me it works about the same as soap. Both soap and this lubricant are not permanent solutions as you pointed out, you have to re-apply them every so often. Dry stick lubricant is mostly wax.

But you have to go and buy dry stick lubricant. Everybody has a bar of soap.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:16 PM   #46

On our new 2021 330 RSTS we had a similar problem. It was hard to latch and the dead bolt would not work. Upon inspection I noticed that the door latch was installed bottom upwards. After removing and reinstalling it correctly the door has worked fine. Might want to take a closer look just to be sure.
Dwain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:32 AM   #47

Same problem on my 2021 Entegra.

Mine is the striker keeps misaligning itself. And the adjustment is near micrometer critical. I figured a way to adjust the striker by loosening it, moving it up to the top of its adjustment, and out towards the door opening. Then tighten enough so as the striker will move, but maintain its position after it moves. Now close the door the 1st click and then very gently the second click. Now hopefully the striker has moved into the correct position. Very carefully open the door and tighten the striker.

When tightening the striker, I noticed it can rotate/move as you tighten, as well as a big washer at the striker base can move as you tighten. These need to be kept stationary as its tightened.

I have to constantly repreform this adjustment. There is a groove in the door jam where the striker was over-tightened either at the factory or by the dealer. So these can be over-tightened. I think its a flaw in that the striker can not be sufficiently tightened.

As others mentioned, I also use white grease on the moving parts. Will have to try the soap on the striker.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:41 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuickGS View Post

I once saw my grandfather many years ago rub bar soap on the edge of a door that would rub on the jamb. Works!
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 04:48 PM   #49

Jayco Sticky Door Latch Epidemic!

I am sure the Jayco engineers NEVER read any of these forums. They would have to admit to errors.

3 weeks ago my best friend and I drove to Cape Girardeau, MO to pick up a brand new Pinnacle 36FBTS and a week later we drove to Ft Worth to pick up my new Pinnacle 36FBTS - both units have the same door latch problem. You absolutly cannot close the door without holding the latch open. Really strange!

This thread has been really interesting - I think I am going to try the graphite powder first, which makes a lot of sense, before I take the latch apart - will let you know.
GeorgiaTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:08 AM   #50

Our door latch has been problematic since new. I’ve discovered our issue is alignment like “dxrobertson”. I’ve taken it apart several times and cleaned/lubed which helps but doesn’t solve the problem. I’ve come to believe a week or so of opening/closing causes it to shift slightly and it becomes hard to close. Holding the latch open while closing has become second nature for us.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:28 AM   #51

Door alignment, both screen and storm, has been a chronic problem on our 16XRB, however it usually only requires repair a couple times a summer. The door is mounted in the back and as the light trailer bounces around over potholes and repair strips on the highway the door shifts a little. Usually a few minutes with a screwdriver adjusting the latches solves the problem. I have also installed better screws and reinforced the latch area in the door frame. It seems to help to keep the dead bolt locked when traveling.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:12 AM   #52

Soap Box Derby Wheels Graphite Powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Our door latch has been problematic since new. Iíve discovered our issue is alignment like ďdxrobertsonĒ. Iíve taken it apart several times and cleaned/lubed which helps but doesnít solve the problem. Iíve come to believe a week or so of opening/closing causes it to shift slightly and it becomes hard to close. Holding the latch open while closing has become second nature for us.
This will sound crazy but, it works! Liberaly spray powder in and around all moving latch parts, operate a couple times and smooth performance.

Can be found on AMAZON - of course-

Click image for larger version

Name:	81+HD-1r8cL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	74893
GeorgiaTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:49 PM   #53

I've had the same problem with my 2021 248rbsw latch until I saw this thread. I took it apart and found the metal to metal contact points, polished them with some 1500 sandpaper and lubed them with some wd-40 gel I had laying around and now I can close the door with my pinky finger. I have some 90% Teflon grease I will use next time it needs some TLC.
Pacman1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 01:57 PM   #54

I have to pull mine the same way then lock it, or it wonít stay shut!
Vedasl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:13 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTrains View Post
I am sure the Jayco engineers NEVER read any of these forums. They would have to admit to errors.

3 weeks ago my best friend and I drove to Cape Girardeau, MO to pick up a brand new Pinnacle 36FBTS and a week later we drove to Ft Worth to pick up my new Pinnacle 36FBTS - both units have the same door latch problem. You absolutly cannot close the door without holding the latch open. Really strange!

This thread has been really interesting - I think I am going to try the graphite powder first, which makes a lot of sense, before I take the latch apart - will let you know.

Well, as you know, we also picked up our new 36FBTS a few weeks ago, and same issue with the lock. Dealer hit it with a shot of WD-40, good as new. he then said to use graphite powder going forward.
Old 08-29-2021, 05:33 PM   #56

I’m going to try that also, today my screen door wouldn’t open. I had to go out the other door. Will only open if door is hooked to the screen!
Vedasl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:06 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTrains View Post
This will sound crazy but, it works! Liberaly spray powder in and around all moving latch parts, operate a couple times and smooth performance.

Can be found on AMAZON - of course-

Attachment 74893
Iíve used graphite and other lubes, after applying and adjusting the latch it works great for a week or so then becomes difficult again. An adjustment without additional lube and it works great again, until it doesnít - again. Iím convinced itís alignment. Thanks for the tip tho.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:08 AM   #58

Thanks, easy fix

We've had our 2018 Jayco for two years and the door had gotten harder and harder to close. Thank you to all the folks and their suggestions here. We unscrewed the inside plate (4 screws super easy) sprayed some WD40, put the plate back on and YES!!! It now closes like any other door in the real world. I did my happy dance and still love how easy it is to close every time I use it.

Was 2018 Nissan Pathfinder - too close for comfort
CGLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:59 AM   #59

Looks like lubing the mechanism is a prime fix.
what worked well for me was to clean the latch and the strike with fine grit sandpaper. Over several seasons these surfaces apparently built up a layer of
The crap that being on the road deposits on The entire rig. Once the latch and strike
Polished up, door closed perfectly.
( still going to take the mechanism off the door and lube it though)
Olepappy is offline   Reply With Quote