Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #1

Door problems

I have a '14 BHDS that's had a problem with the door latching seemingly since day one. Its on a permanent site and hasn't moved since purchased. I've ran the routine of leveling the unit 3 ways to Sunday but can't get the door to close with out pulling the latch and releasing it. I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?
engineer399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:54 AM   #2

Entry door or slider?
Old 03-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #3

The standard hinged entry door.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #4

I sprayed mine with silicone spray and did the trick.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:50 AM   #5

Mine seems out of alignment (?)
Old 03-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #6

So if you push on the door from the outside it catches right? Also takes a lot of pressure to close?
You probably need to move the strike out about a 1/16". There should be an adjustment on it.

Or are you saying the latch is binding in the door and not coming out once opened and you need to manually force it back out? If this then agree with some lube first to see if that works it out.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #7

If your level and the door itself is not binding (like the frame is folding) then my best guess is the latch needs to be lubed. I have to lube my latch about once a year to keep it moving freely (so I can just push the door closed, with out holding the latch back). I like to use fluid film, but have used WD40 in a pinch.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #8

I encounter the same problem from time to time. I've found the most common cause with my trailer is one or more of the stab jacks being too tight - causing the trailer frame to twist, which misaligns the door. Before dumping my tanks at my seasonal site, I like to raise the jacks an inch or so, so I can rock the trailer before dumping. (I think it helps stir things up for better dumping.) It's not uncommon for me to get one a little tight when I extend them down, again. Sometimes, just "tweaking" them takes care of the latching problem. I've also found spraying a little lube (pick your favorite one) on the latch, strike plate, and hinges about every 10 - 14 days takes care of the problem. I also found out the hinges on my screen door had loosened, causing my screen door to stick closed. Simply tightening the hinge screws took care of that problem. If all else fails, follow 3'senough's advise. Take a look at both the strike plate and the latch. The wear pattern on each will tell you how they are aligning. It's a rare strike plate that doesn't need a little adjusting from time to time - even in your stationary "stick'n'bricks"!

Good luck finding a solution to this "sticky" problem!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #9

Does your door fit square in the opening when it is closed? If it does than i would adjust the strike plate. If is not even all the way around, then your trailer may be racked (twisted) and I would do as Brownie suggested above.

Good Luck.

I know at the campgrounds I've worked at, we would have to level the lodges (Cavco park models) every spring and sometimes during the year due to settling of the unit. It takes some practice but if you jack up one corner the door will move, play with it to see which corner needs to be raised to take the twist out of it.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bhds, door, door handle, door locks