Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #21

Downy alternative

A brief session with Professor Google indicated Fabric softener does detriment septic systems somewhat. An alternative is white vinegar or try to find Mrs. Meyers Lavendar Fabric Softner. Both products are labeled septic safe but should probably be used in moderation.
Cenvalleysteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #22

Blue Streak

I use Blue Streak it sends the solution with every flush
dancd141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclaren View Post
I have been reading about using Downy in the toilet to keep it smelling good. Do any of you do this? Do you also use the toilet tabs for RV's along with the downy?
I have been throwing tide pods in & it not only cleaned those stupid sensors but doubles as laundry detergent & I detect NO ODOR.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #24

Thetford AquaKem for me.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #25

Using Camco orange packs-pods. No issues. Fabric softener build-up isn’t something I want in my RV. Dealt with it in our home septic system as another “stressor” on the gunk factor. Keep it simple.
JDug66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #26
CAG

Happy Camper. There is no odor.

That is Happy Camper the tank product but I am a happy camper with it. I have tried a number of different products and settle with this. I do put Dawn and about 10 gals of water in before leaving on a trip then dump when I get there. It cleans the tanks before use again.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclaren View Post
I have been reading about using Downy in the toilet to keep it smelling good. Do any of you do this? Do you also use the toilet tabs for RV's along with the downy?
I used to do that.
I have to use a macerator pump, and I believe it caused the TP to solidify. It jammed my pump.
I used to use the cheapest fabric softener, and did not have issues with them.
My2cents
OlemanFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #28

I use fabric softener a couple times a year to keep the sensors clean. Seems to work. When on the road, we use the orange stuff.
Yamaha XT250
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #29

X2 what Ripin said. Happy Camper is the best. 1 scoop to a gallon of water and voila. No stink, and it's good for about 40 gallons of waste. But, I don't go that long in between.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #30

While on the road?! Explains the brown streak on the pavement. I was blaming the Amish all this time!
1973 IH 1210 CC
1975 IH Travelall
1979 IH Scout II
[SIGPIC]
bstannard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #31

I use power blue from camping world. Works great and breaks everything down. I keep 10gal of water in tank treated all the time. Camp and never dump till done for weekend or week. Then flush tank out refill and treat. Ready for next trip. It is key to keep these tanks wet. No poop pyramid.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
I switched over to using “happy campers” holding tank treatment a year ago. Very happy with it and will never go back to anything else. Eliminates all odors even during storage. Great stuff.
Going on 2 years camping now and use Happy Camper. Works great and no issues with smell or sensors. After flush black tank - put in 2 gal water and one scoop and ready for storage or next trip.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:30 AM   #33

The best toilet paper to use is the Ultra Soft from Members Mark at Sam’s Club. I’ve done the tests myself with Thetford RV Toilet paper, Kirkland brand from Costco and Sam’s Club paper. The Sam’s club paper almost liquified! I was amazed! And that’s what we use at the house all the time. The RV toilet paper hardly dissolved at all. I’ll never use RV toilet paper again!

K Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:49 AM   #34

Laughing so hard........
Yeah... my sensors stopped working the first month. I empty once a week also.
Inkyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #35

For odor control and tissue breakdown we use a shelf product that does not contain formaldehyde.

For sensor cleaning, after flushing out our tanks at the campground or a dump station, I add 1/4 cup of Simple Green and 5 gallons of water to each tank. We then drive home and at the closest dump station to our home I simply dump the 5 gallons. If we come home a different way, we leave the water/simple green in the tanks and dump at the campground on our next trip. Driving with that solution splashes around the tank cleaning the sensors and making the tanks 'simply fresh' - and it's bio degradable and very, very low cost.
mlumia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #36
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Holbrook View Post
The best toilet paper to use is the Ultra Soft from Members Mark at Sam’s Club. I’ve done the tests myself with Thetford RV Toilet paper, Kirkland brand from Costco and Sam’s Club paper. The Sam’s club paper almost liquified! I was amazed! And that’s what we use at the house all the time. The RV toilet paper hardly dissolved at all. I’ll never use RV toilet paper again!
Over time I have found that with some exceptions, if you are using Happy Camper, it does not make much difference whether it is Sam's, or Costco. I also have used Angel Soft and get the same results. The TP comes out of the tank totally broken up. I have not used Angel Soft for awhile and some say it has changed for the worst. But, I pulled this slightly off topic as it is about Downy not TP.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:39 AM   #37

Tank management

For odor control and tissue breakdown we use a shelf product that does not contain formaldehyde.

For sensor cleaning, after flushing out our tanks at the campground or a dump station, I add 1/4 cup of Simple Green and 5 gallons of water to each tank. We then drive home and at the closest dump station to our home I simply dump the 5 gallons. If we come home a different way, we leave the water/simple green in the tanks and dump at the campground on our next trip. Driving with that solution splashes around the tank cleaning the sensors and making the tanks 'simply fresh' - and it's bio degradable and very, very low cost.
mlumia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:49 AM   #38

I worked in wastewater plant for years now I know why they consider RV waste as industrial or hazardous waste We once had a company dump the portable toilet waste into our plant killed our who bio system in the plant all the plant went septic what a mess
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #39

Another vote for Happy Camper. It simply works, leaves NO smell at all, and no guessing/mixing with other household products, chemicals, detergents, etc, etc, etc, that are made for use in everything else but RV holding tanks. I don't want to smell ANYTHING like perfumes, fruits or cleaning chemicals and detergents. RV black and grey tanks is what its made for and it's easy.
Bugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:01 PM   #40

Like the ripoff insurance commercial says, remember the three Ps. Pee, poop and paper. That, a little bit of toilet treatment, and plenty of water, is all we've used and haven't had odor problems. and we've lived in a total load over 3 years during winter times. Make sure that the vent is clear.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote