Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 AM   #1

Draining

Jayco Eagle Travel Trailer 2019
We are having the following situation:
We flush the black tank for 15-20 minutes (until the water flows clear. Close the BLK tank valve. Run water thru the sewer hose to make sure it is cleared as well.

Disconnect the hose cap the line and hit the road. When we arrive at our distinction and uncap the line to reconnect the hose, sewage drains out.

What are we doing wrong? Are we missing a valve to close? Why does this happen?
Judymusuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #2

After draining are you also closing gray water tank valves (if they discharge through same discharge as black tanks)?
Be sure to give plenty of time for all water to drain from where the gate valve closes and the final discharge where you connect sewer line at camper.
BroRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judymusuc View Post
Jayco Eagle Travel Trailer 2019
We are having the following situation:
We flush the black tank for 15-20 minutes (until the water flows clear. Close the BLK tank valve. Run water thru the sewer hose to make sure it is cleared as well.

Disconnect the hose cap the line and hit the road. When we arrive at our distinction and uncap the line to reconnect the hose, sewage drains out.

What are we doing wrong? Are we missing a valve to close? Why does this happen?
It’s probably just residual waste settling through the many feet of drain pipe. That’s why a lot of people put the external Valterra valve on their drain pipe. That way you don’t get the cupful of surprise in your hands every time you open the cap. It’s well worth the $18 or so bucks it costs and takes literally 15 seconds to install.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #4

Unless you leave both valves open for 10-15 minutes AFTER it appears they are done draining, you will get a little water buildup. If you are closing your valves and water is leaking past those valves and only being contained by your sewer cap then you likely have a leaky valve. Two of the people I camp with regularly have a leaky valve somewhere. What they have done is added an additional bladed valve at the end of the drain pipe, something like this https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Va...hoCj5IQAvD_BwE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judymusuc View Post
We flush the black tank for 15-20 minutes (until the water flows clear.
This seems to be a LOT of water. I sure hope you only do this when you have a full hookup site, not at a dump station... When I have a full hookup, I'll flush my black tank too. Usually I will drain the black tank, then turn on the flush and close my black tank valve. I'll allow the water to build up and open the black tank valve for 20 seconds, then close it, then open for 20 seconds, then close it. I'll do that a couple times until "stuff" stops coming out. By opening and closing, you are creating more of a wave or suction inside the tank, which is more likely to move any stubborn "stuff". Just leaving the valve open and flushing hundreds of gallons of water won't really move much stubborn "stuff", in my experience.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
Unless you leave both valves open for 10-15 minutes AFTER it appears they are done draining, you will get a little water buildup. If you are closing your valves and water is leaking past those valves and only being contained by your sewer cap then you likely have a leaky valve. Two of the people I camp with regularly have a leaky valve somewhere. What they have done is added an additional bladed valve at the end of the drain pipe, something like this https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Va...hoCj5IQAvD_BwE

This seems to be a LOT of water. I sure hope you only do this when you have a full hookup site, not at a dump station... When I have a full hookup, I'll flush my black tank too. Usually I will drain the black tank, then turn on the flush and close my black tank valve. I'll allow the water to build up and open the black tank valve for 20 seconds, then close it, then open for 20 seconds, then close it. I'll do that a couple times until "stuff" stops coming out. By opening and closing, you are creating more of a wave or suction inside the tank, which is more likely to move any stubborn "stuff". Just leaving the valve open and flushing hundreds of gallons of water won't really move much stubborn "stuff", in my experience.
Opening an closing the valve, interesting. May try that thanks
Old 06-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
It’s probably just residual waste settling through the many feet of drain pipe. That’s why a lot of people put the external Valterra valve on their drain pipe. That way you don’t get the cupful of surprise in your hands every time you open the cap. It’s well worth the $18 or so bucks it costs and takes literally 15 seconds to install.

Agreed, this will solve all of your problems....

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-.../dp/B000BGHYJS
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #7

If you are using full hook ups when camping, you should keep your dump valves closed until the tanks are full or until you are ready to dump. This allows the solids and liquids to mix in the tank and the solids will break down and drain out more efficiently. Leaving the dump vale open all the time allows the solids to build up in your tank and they get more solid as they dry out a bit. It then takes a great deal of flushing to break them up and they can even create a dam which holds back some portion of the liquid which then gets loose when you travel. Since you have a rinse system, when the tank appears to have drained, close the dump valve and let the water build up in the tank for a while then open the valve so you get a good amount of flow to clean out any left over materials. You might need to do this several times before you actually get a clean tank.