Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #21

Brass Water Heater Drain Valve, 1/2” - Camco 11703 - Water Heaters - Camping World

You can always buy on of these instead of drilling. I just picked on up, but won't install for a couple more months.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKong View Post
Brass Water Heater Drain Valve, 1/2” - Camco 11703 - Water Heaters - Camping World

You can always buy on of these instead of drilling. I just picked on up, but won't install for a couple more months.
There are many discussions regarding the potential for Galvanic Corrosion with a brass plug screwed into the aluminum tank of an Atwood water heater. There may be a minimal risk of this kind of corrosion with the brass plug, and it may take quite some time to cause any appreciable damage, but why take the chance.

That's why screwing the drain valve into the original nylon plug is more attractive to me, and why I would use the idea from above as opposed to buying the one from CW.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 01:43 PM   #23

The original already developed a hole and is spraying water everywhere. I haven't even removed it once because right now we have the camper at a seasonal site and we are there almost every week camping. Looks like it is time to order a couple. 7 dollars seems high from the amazon site that was linked though.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:24 AM   #24

to drain my tank I release the pressure relief valve open the hot water taps and the low point drain for water lines. This drains my tank completely. I fine this is better than always removing the plastic plug that you have to re tape each time and you don't get wet in the process....
Old 06-02-2015, 05:39 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoboosteagle View Post
to drain my tank I release the pressure relief valve open the hot water taps and the low point drain for water lines. This drains my tank completely. I fine this is better than always removing the plastic plug that you have to re tape each time and you don't get wet in the process....
The problem with this procedure is that it won't flush the tank. Your water tank needs periodic flushing to get rid of sediment. You really should use a wand from time to time. But pulling the drain plug and opening the relief valve is far better than just opening a low point. All sediment will remain in the tank with your procedure.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:02 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
The problem with this procedure is that it won't flush the tank. Your water tank needs periodic flushing to get rid of sediment. You really should use a wand from time to time. But pulling the drain plug and opening the relief valve is far better than just opening a low point. All sediment will remain in the tank with your procedure.
+1
I installed a short hose and stainless valve on my Eagle, as I had on my last RV. After each trip I drain the HW tank and am always surprised at the short burst of sediment water that is ejected.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #27

I removed our water heater drain plug with a 15/16 socket. I then installed a petcock for easy draining. If you go this route you'll need to open the pop off valve so the water heater will drain easily.
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:33 AM   #28

Shouldn't the anode in the tank take care of this issue?
cosmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo View Post
Shouldn't the anode in the tank take care of this issue?
Atwood HW tanks don't have a sacrificial anode, that's Suburban HW tanks. Atwood tanks just have a little nylon plug in the drain petcock.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote