Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Drilling Hole from inside TT to outside?

Still working on my mods (some really repairs or what should have been done) and have one I am nervous to do. I need/want a 12V power connection on the outside rear of the TT. Installing an outside wireless camera on the upper left corner that views down and across the side giving a picture of the two doors and under awning area to a small wireless monitor in the TT. My wife wants it for when I am out and about and she is in the TT alone and for at night. I can see where I could easily drill a small hole from inside the ceiling cabinets to outside exactly where I need it. I can seal it well on the outside, put a quick connect electrical connector on the short end outside and then wire it to the lighting wiring that is already in that cabinet. Easy to do but drilling a hole through the wall of my trailer makes me very nervous. No plumbing or wiring in that area that I know of or could imagine a reason for being there. Any advice? Very small hole, just big enough for two small wires, sealed well on the outside.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
I could easily drill a small hole from inside the ceiling cabinets to outside exactly where I need it. I can seal it well on the outside, put a quick connect electrical connector on the short end outside and then wire it to the lighting wiring that is already in that cabinet. Easy to do but drilling a hole through the wall of my trailer makes me very nervous. No plumbing or wiring in that area that I know of or could imagine a reason for being there. Any advice? Very small hole, just big enough for two small wires, sealed well on the outside.
I'm concerned about stuff running through the walls too and have the same questions you do. Where can we get the drawings for the wiring, plumbing and HVAC runs for our particular Jayco model.

FWIW, I would use the appropriate sized clamshell cover and some non-permanent 3M 4200 sealant for the exterior dressing.

SEAFIT Stainless-Steel Clamshell Vents | West Marine
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:16 PM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just apply the logic law and drill your pilot hole first. Or if you don't trust it you have to call Jayco for a drawing for wiring, plumbing etc.
It is a question of good judgement.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #4

Jayco is pretty cooperative with emailing schematics of plumbing and wiring. You just need to have your VIN # handy.
I drilled a small hole in my previous TT in order to run a cable tv line to the outside. I was very nervous too but did it anyway. In the end it was no big deal.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:18 PM   #5

I've poked a few holes (four in total) through the side of my trailer in order to secure the mounts for my porta-bote. As ALJO has said, just apply logic. Are there outlets nearby? Is there a light fixture nearby on the outside? Then find another spot to drill. Or to be really sure, get a schematic.

I was able to watch a video on youtube of Jayco making the same model I have and could see where they were running the wires.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:40 PM   #6

No one is going to run water lines at the top of an exterior wall, so no worries about water. If you nick a wire you'll know pretty quick, and then just patch it.

Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:54 PM   #7

Just make sure the power is off (both 110 and 12v) before drilling.
That's probably obvious - but sometimes I get into a project and forget, when I get to that point, to cut the power. I have a pair of wire cutters with a nice nick melted onto blade. I still use those wire cutters (just cut away from the nick) because they remind me, every time I start to cut a wire, to check the power.

But I'm X2 on the "just do it". My Dad taught me years ago to have confidence that you can fix anything you can accidentally tear up . . . . and if you can't fix it, you can find the phone number of someone who can :-)
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #8

Thanks. I'm going for it. I can't imagine there is anything in the area I will go through other than some insulation and siding.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Thanks. I'm going for it. I can't imagine there is anything in the area I will go through other than some insulation and siding.
I was scared sheetless to drill through the back of my camper, but after I drilled the pilot hole, I felt better and mine was a big hole. Of course, I had the back wall blueprints from Jayco. Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	26254
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote