Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2018, 09:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
We drink campground water and always have. We had our first "RV" in 1975 or so, and before that we tent camped. We have never had an illness that was linked to bad water. If campground water is not available, we drink water from our fresh water storage tank - which probably came from some campground somewhere.

One source of information about drinking water safety: All About Water - Read, Learn, and Know about Water
Same with us. We always have a flat of bottled water for use in the TV while traveling and we freeze them at home and use them in the 110v mini fridge when on the road.
Editiorial comment: Somewhere along the line we have become a sanitized society and are scared of everything from carrots grown using fertilizer to homes with manufactured flooring. To some extent we have as a result lost our natural immunity to much of the natural world. Exposure to "dirt", plants, and that occasional wiff of smoke from our neighbors BBQ, gives us the ability to live in the real unfiltered world. Bottled water is a scam that no one seems too concerned about. What started out as pure spring water is now more likely sold as filtered water that comes right out of a city water system. Water systems at state parks has most likely been tested the same as any city water. If it tastes bad as some local water sources then don't drink it but otherwise its all about buying into the marketing hype that the bottled water companies are feeding us.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:11 AM   #22

Always use campground or on board water. Use an inline filter to remove any chlorine taste.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #23

I'd say there's no conclusive evidence that tap water, or bottled water, is any more detrimental to life than the other. Pick your poison and enjoy the coffee
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Editiorial comment: Somewhere along the line we have become a sanitized society and are scared of everything from carrots grown using fertilizer to homes with manufactured flooring. To some extent we have as a result lost our natural immunity to much of the natural world. Exposure to "dirt", plants, and that occasional wiff of smoke from our neighbors BBQ, gives us the ability to live in the real unfiltered world. Bottled water is a scam that no one seems too concerned about. What started out as pure spring water is now more likely sold as filtered water that comes right out of a city water system. Water systems at state parks has most likely been tested the same as any city water. If it tastes bad as some local water sources then don't drink it but otherwise its all about buying into the marketing hype that the bottled water companies are feeding us.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

I hope all out you who are wasting your money on bottled water are at least being responsible and recycling all those plastic bottles and not just throwing them in the trash.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:46 PM   #25

I installed a Daulton ceramic under sink filter system and I super chlorinate the fresh water to 3ppm when I fill up. The filter removes the chlorine for use for drinking and cooking water and the added chlorine helps keep the fresh water system sanitary.

I like the convenience having drinking water on hand we travel with two large dogs and go through through quite a bit of drinking water.

I found a good article on RV drinking water on the road and a handy chlorine dilution calculator I'll try and post the links.

Hope this helps, is been woking for us.

The RV Dilemma -Drinking Water on the Road
https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...er-candle.aspx

https://www.publichealthontario.ca/e...alculator.aspx
sfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #26

We freeze two or three gallon jugs of water at home, and put them in the fridge.
When we arrive, we have a nice cold fridge and a ready supply of drinking water. Anything else - dishwashing, cooking, showering - is done from the tank or the CG supply, via a particulate filter and a charcoal filter.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:24 PM   #27

I have a nice cold fridge when I get to where I'm going because I keep it on the entire trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
We freeze two or three gallon jugs of water at home, and put them in the fridge.
When we arrive, we have a nice cold fridge and a ready supply of drinking water. Anything else - dishwashing, cooking, showering - is done from the tank or the CG supply, via a particulate filter and a charcoal filter.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #28

We started drinking bottled water about 20yrs ago. That was when the municipal system got really bad, taste and stuff floating in the water (it was still deemed 'safe'). We had an RO system installed for a while and then just switched to bottles. After drinking the bottled stuff for a few years we became used to it and continued, even after we moved. So, in the RV we still drink bottled water. Now it is more convenient for us.

Conspiracy stuff? Well, in a few cases municipal systems have gone bad so if you don't trust your local government to test and inspect often enough, I understand.

If you want to drink city water that's fine with me.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Same with us. We always have a flat of bottled water for use in the TV while traveling and we freeze them at home and use them in the 110v mini fridge when on the road.
I wish that everyone could see things that way Bassdogs. I couldn't agree more. The water in a campground or city have to pass tests in order to be "drinking water." I have a half case of bottled water in the trailer just for the reason of going out for a walk. The bottles are easy to carry in a day pack. We drink the water out of the house, campground or other city water. I have also been known to coffee filter spring water, add the correct amount of house hold bleach, wait 30 minutes and drink that.

https://www.clorox.com/dr-laundry/di...rifying-water/

Better than Bleach: Use Calcium Hypochlorite to Disinfect Water

It would be wise to print those pages out and keep them at home just in case you have to use it at home.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
I'd say there's no conclusive evidence that tap water, or bottled water, is any more detrimental to life than the other. Pick your poison and enjoy the coffee
And we all pick the poison of choosing a voluntary activity (RVing) that necessitates driving on the highway with the exhaust of lots of internal combustion engines while other vehicles hurtle down the road within just a few feet of us. Those fumes and vehicles may get us someday!

Why living near a busy road could be dangerous for your child's health: Traffic pollution linked to diabetes risk in children | Daily Mail Online

Effects of road pollution of cardiovascular system
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
The water in a campground or city have to pass tests in order to be "drinking water." .
It would be nice to believe that, ask the residents of Flint, MI that question. They were told the water was safe to drink after changing water suppliers, but the city water department dropped the ball and didn't add a needed chemical to keep lead from leaching out of the old water lines due to the new water supply. But this is not an isolated problem, it is happening at 100s of cities all across the USA that are sending contaminated water to residents. I have lived on a well for many years, twice a year I send water samples to the state to have it tested to check about 30 different levels. We have a r/o system for drinking water and so far haven't grown a third eye.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself.

I hope all out you who are wasting your money on bottled water are at least being responsible and recycling all those plastic bottles and not just throwing them in the trash.
X2 and many campers can't read what's on the 2 Bins "RECYCLE" " TRASH".
Old 03-05-2018, 07:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
It would be nice to believe that, ask the residents of Flint, MI that question. They were told the water was safe to drink after changing water suppliers, but the city water department dropped the ball and didn't add a needed chemical to keep lead from leaching out of the old water lines due to the new water supply. But this is not an isolated problem, it is happening at 100s of cities all across the USA that are sending contaminated water to residents. I have lived on a well for many years, twice a year I send water samples to the state to have it tested to check about 30 different levels. We have a r/o system for drinking water and so far haven't grown a third eye.
If you are worried about test strips are fairly cheap:

https://watertestingkits.com/product...us&fo_oid=7514
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote