Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #1

Drinking water

When using a water filter do people still drink the water when connected to live water source and or from the holding tank. I personally bring water jugs whenever we go camping.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #2

Depends on where your camping. In many campgrounds they have municipal water from a local town, which is checked on a regular basis. If you camping in a more remote area, many times that is a well or even water hauled in and kept in a large tank till used.

We typically use the local water for everything except drinking. We bring bottled water for that purpose. We do always use a filter on our incoming water line, in part to remove particulate and some contaminates.

Again I would bring water or use the local water depending on where you go. Private wells are not checked like a municipal water system and, even if "good" water, it can contain different elements from your home and some people may have issues.

Good Luck..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #3

We drink it out of the tap unless it tastes bad
We’ve never had City water only well water for 70 years
I refuse to buy bottled water as our neighbors who are Nestke have tapped into our aquifer and tell us we have no water rights
So far enough water for all

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #4

We use an inline filter outside and a faucet filter on the sink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #5

Although we fully sanitize our freshwater tank for each major trip, and connect to the local water tap when we use full-hookups while on the road or in-place vacationing, we never drink this water. We purchase bottled water or bring reverse-osmosis water from home for drinking/cooking purposes. We feel there's just too much contamination potential when repeatedly installing/removing/storing the pressure regulator, filter, and hoses---not to mention the unknown water quality at some locations throughout the country.

There are many folks who have drunk water out of their trailer's system for years with no problems, but nonetheless, it's what we feel most comfortable doing
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Although we fully sanitize our freshwater tank for each major trip, and connect to the local water tap when we use full-hookups while on the road or in-place vacationing, we never drink this water. We purchase bottled water or bring reverse-osmosis water from home for drinking/cooking purposes. We feel there's just too much contamination potential when repeatedly installing/removing/storing the pressure regulator, filter, and hoses---not to mention the unknown water quality at some locations throughout the country.

There are many folks who have drunk water out of their trailer's system for years with no problems, but nonetheless, it's what we feel most comfortable doing
X2 On short trips, a week or less, take 4 gallons of home tap water in gallon jugs and always keep bottled water stored for use.

Longer trips buying bottled water for drinking & cooking is what we do. Gallon jugs for cooking and the bottles for drinking.

I have a in line filter to screen contaminants for the water supply.

I have some medical issues and don't want to temp fate by drinking water from the RV tank or a unsure local water supply.

Obviously a cost factor with the bottled water but we just deal with it.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Bottled water only for drinking.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:02 AM   #8

We use a water filter but still take bottles of water to drink.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:13 AM   #9

Like some others, we consider the source before drinking.

If we have a good source, like a municipal supply (not Flint, though), we run it through our little blue Camco filter, and then use it for everything but drinking. We do use it for cooking, though.

If the source is kind of iffy, we don't use it for cooking, but we'll still brush our teeth with it. And still use the Camco filter, of course.

Edit: I won't say that what we do necessarily makes sense, but it's what we do.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #10

For short stays I use a basic filter to avoid sediment. For longer stays I add an older version of this softener, below. But our drinking water, including for the dogs, is always bottled.
https://www.flowpur.com/html/rv-pro10000.html
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #11

I figured majority of the people bring their own jugs for drinking. Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
ibra0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #12

Same here... bottles or jugs of water for drinking. Use park water for showers, toilets, brushing teeth, etc. My wonderful bride has a sensitive water palette... she won't drink water unless it tastes perfect to her.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Bottled water only for drinking.
us too. too much risk of contamination.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #14

We bring a 5-gallon water cooler jug. Costs $1.25 to fill it, and it's more than enough drinking water for three of us for the whole weekend. I have 2 jugs if we're going to be out for a long time, and I can usually find a water vending machine somewhere to refill our jug when needed. Those vending stations are typically RO water.

We have a manual "Dolphin" pump to get the water out of the jug. Biggest challenge there is keeping the kid from playing with it!

For the water we put in our tank, I use the tap water from our home with the blue Camco filters. I sanitize that tank and the water lines with a bleach solution about 2x per year. For municipal water at the park, I use the filter. We drink and cook and make ice with the jugged water, everything else is tank water or "city" water at the park. I will drink the tank water in a pinch as long as it's the stuff from home.

My dad buys flats of bottled drinking water, and it drives me crazy with all those bottles everywhere! I'll use bottles occasionally for convenience, but he uses them exclusively. I'm converting him though...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #15

We use bottled water for drinking, cooking, brushing teeth, etc.

I once read an article about campgrounds adjacent to cattle pastures. Apparently containments from cattle can leach through the ground and into CG wells.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #16

We drink campground water and always have. We had our first "RV" in 1975 or so, and before that we tent camped. We have never had an illness that was linked to bad water. If campground water is not available, we drink water from our fresh water storage tank - which probably came from some campground somewhere.

One source of information about drinking water safety: http://www.allaboutwater.org/
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:02 PM   #17

ditto what RVhiker said, except the 1975 part. we drink campgro
und water, don't use a filter.can't stand the "plastic" taste of bottled water.
rjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #18

We bring bottled water while traveling. Use it for brushing teeth, drinking, or cooking. However, on occasion, I've either just forgotten or didn't have bottled water close by and poured water from the faucet. Haven't croaked yet. Haven't gotten sick yet either.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:33 AM   #19

We cook and drink only with Poland Spring water.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
...we never drink this water. We purchase bottled water...for drinking/cooking purposes. There are many folks who have drunk water out of their trailer's system for years with no problems, but nonetheless, it's what we feel most comfortable doing
Ditto. In our case it's a holdover from our popup days when we just didn't trust the freshwater drinking systems in our old campers.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote