Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2016, 08:09 AM   #1

Driving to FL in February

We're considering a trip to Florida in February towing our JayFeather Ultralite x20e. I've driven to Atlanta in a minivan in fall and spring and know there are mountains in Tenn. to go through. Does anyone have experience in an RV through that region at that time of year and, if so, comments to offer? Thanks much.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:34 AM   #2

You want to avoid Atlanta during rush hour if at all possible. I have found that 10 am or 3 pm is much better. If you can go through there during the wee hours like 2 am, that is even better. Plenty of RV parks along I 75 to stop for one night. Where are you going in Florida?

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

I used I-65 out of Indianapolis and US-280 out of Birmingham back to I-75. No Atlanta and the hilly regions were much less severe.
mikeassenmacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
Site Team

If you are planning on staying in one of the many Florida state parks in February, you may be using a Walmart parking lot over night. Most state parks in South Florida are booked like 11 months in advance. We were lucky over the last 2 years and got sites that someone cancelled that day... (on line bookings) The Key's are next to impossible, site size is a major issue and they will not allow you to park an RV/TT that is over the size limit for that site. Like most state park sites, 14 days is the max.

You can get into private camp sites $$$ and they are usually small sites that are very close together.

Good Luck,

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #5

I pulled our sunset trail 250RB to LaBelle, Florida the last week of January. Stayed 2 weeks and then came back. We went from Marion, IL, I57 to I24 to I75.
Weather was the big problem. Snow and ice on the way down for the first 250 miles from Marion, IL. We even put off our trip a day. I was watching Nashville TN weather on the internet and it was nasty.

Weather on the way back was even worse. I was down to 35 mph on the interstate at times and no where open to pull off. Tractor trailers had all the spots taken.

Monteagle Mountain was the only large pull and it wasn't bad and the weather was clear that far south.

Nashville sucked getting through. Road construction and tricky last minute signs. I ended up in a residential neighborhood on my way back after missing my temp exit in a big snowstorm. I didn't have any problem with Atlanta.

We stayed at a camping world campground south of Valdosta Ga on the way down, not a bad place for a quick over nighter. Just off the interstate and only $20.

This white knuckle experience is the reason I bought a second trailer to haul to Florida and leave there.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:05 PM   #6

FL in FEB Follow up

Thanks much for the comments on driving to FL in February. We were originally thinking of stopping in Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Tampa and Orlando during a 2-3 week vacation. But given the responses in this Forum so far, we might be changing plans.

My 2 main concerns were driving through mountainous areas that time of year, and the weather. We can rearrange schedules to avoid Atlanta rush hour, but avoiding the mountains might be difficult. Getting around the weather definitely would be difficult. However, I like the idea of getting by Atlanta on I-65 then US 280 out of Birmingham.

I guess we'll have to take our chances with unpredictable weather.

I haven't tried to book campsites for Feb., yet. All I know is I saw on an RV map that there seem to be plenty of places to stay. I don't know whether being in the north half of the state makes a difference in getting reservations this late in the year...

We don't make regular trips to FL, or I might consider a second trailer there permanently.

Thanks again to everyone for the comments,
John K
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:28 PM   #7

The State Parks book up quick, but there's plenty of places to camp here in FL. You have also made good choices of cities to visit.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:32 AM   #8
Site Team

Another thing to verify is if a particular Walmart allows overnight rv's. Many don't due to local regulations but many others do.
There is a web site that lists them. Be sure to check with the store manager before staying.
http://www.walmartlocator.com/no-park-walmarts/
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K. View Post
Thanks much for the comments on driving to FL in February. We were originally thinking of stopping in Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Tampa and Orlando during a 2-3 week vacation. But given the responses in this Forum so far, we might be changing plans.

My 2 main concerns were driving through mountainous areas that time of year, and the weather. We can rearrange schedules to avoid Atlanta rush hour, but avoiding the mountains might be difficult. Getting around the weather definitely would be difficult. However, I like the idea of getting by Atlanta on I-65 then US 280 out of Birmingham.

I guess we'll have to take our chances with unpredictable weather.

I haven't tried to book campsites for Feb., yet. All I know is I saw on an RV map that there seem to be plenty of places to stay. I don't know whether being in the north half of the state makes a difference in getting reservations this late in the year...

We don't make regular trips to FL, or I might consider a second trailer there permanently.

Thanks again to everyone for the comments,
John K
The hills of TN are no big deal normally. However, the weather is what it is and you'll have to look at that when the time comes. As far as getting campsites in FL I've never found that to be an issue. Even most state parks have room for a few days. They do require reservations in FL state parks. There are literally thousands of private sites available all over FL.

I just randomly picked Little Talbot Island State Park in Jacksonville and checked February 2017 availability and it is currently completely empty for the entire month of February. You can have any site for as long as you want (I think there's a 14 day limit).

State parks in south FL tend to book up in winter. North FL not so much. It's pretty easy to go to any FL state park website and check availability.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #10

Be aware that Wekiva Springs will be closed. That might impact other camping areas in the Orlando area.
I would not wait too long.. I note that Blue Springs is filling and Hillsborough near Tampa are filling fast ( the latter nearly full).

There are lots of people camping in North Florida in Feb.. Last year we could not get in and we just had a tent..so off we crawled to state forests..no amenities.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:12 PM   #11

Driving to FL in February

I live in Atlanta. Our traffic is a piece of cake - one of those pieces of cake your grandma used to make with real lard - that blocks up all your arteries [emoji57].

Seriously, if you are coming down I75 at ANY time of day take I285 around town (We call this The Perimeter Highway). Do not go straight through town unless you want to visit one of our tourists attractions.
I285 around the west side is not usually that bad even during rush hour. Don't take I285 around the east side if you can help it.
However, if you want to camp near Atlanta, consider Stone Mountain State Park which is on the east side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #12

your main hazard is ice storms. Hit Charlotte or Atlanta in one and you will wish you stayed home. The traffic just comes to a total stop.

We came into Charlotte and at the SC line we knew things would be bad . Within the first mile into NC the plow ( probably one of the few in the area) was in the ditch.

Winter driving here is a piece of cake ( northern New England) as there is plenty of snow and ice clearing equipment. Not so down south an inch will paralyze for a day. Here 24 inches..half an hour and we are good to go.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #13

Kim,
Sorry you passed through the area during one of the ice storms.
But statistically we only have an ice storm or snow once every two years. And then they rarely last more than a day or two. So the chance of getting caught in one is very slim.

That is also why our governments don't have much equipment to deal with it. It just isn't a good use of tax dollars.

Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 06-23-2016, 06:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Kim,
Sorry you passed through the area during one of the ice storms.
But statistically we only have an ice storm or snow once every two years. And then they rarely last more than a day or two. So the chance of getting caught in one is very slim.

That is also why our governments don't have much equipment to deal with it. It just isn't a good use of tax dollars.

Totally understand why there is not more snow removal equipment but from Maine to Florida is some 1500 miles. During about half of the year we have gone down there is some sort of snow event south of Washington. Typically we head down 81 to 77 and catch 95 near Charleston where things are more tropical

The point is that in February we reserve an extra day at the first stop just in case we are late to that first destination. That way we can still do what we want and a layover day is always welcome if we get there on time.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-23-2016, 05:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Seriously, if you are coming down I75 at ANY time of day take I285 around town (We call this The Perimeter Highway). Do not go straight through town unless you want to visit one of our tourists attractions.

When coming from Knoxville going to Florida we always time ATL to miss rush hour and go straight thru town. Guess I've been lucky as it's always been pretty easy. Seems like going around 285 (either way) adds about an extra 10,000 miles to the trip. I love the fact about no trucks thru town.

I also use the HOV lane but did get pointed at by a state trooper one day. I guess you can't pull a trailer in that lane? Not sure why but he acted like I should move out of it. I didn't move out of it and just took off and left me alone. I don't think he really wanted to stop me on a busy interstate.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post

I also use the HOV lane but did get pointed at by a state trooper one day. I guess you can't pull a trailer in that lane? Not sure why but he acted like I should move out of it.
I can't find anything to support that. If you have two occupants, you can use it. I don't see any mention of any type of vehicle that is prohibited - but the sites GA DOT and State - might not include them. Dunno.
JoeTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #17

We now have two types of HOV lanes in the Atlanta area. Most are still 2 or more passenger lanes but in I85 north of Atlanta the HOV lanes are toll and you have to have a PeachPass transponder (FL, SC and a few other States transponders work too by joint agreement).
Assuming you were on I75 I don't know why a trouper would have pointed at you unless he/she felt you were not going fast enough and backing up the lane.

Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 06-24-2016, 09:25 AM   #18

No, it wasn't a speed issue for sure. I guess I don't know but he was sure wanting me to move out of the HOV lane. Had I moved over he probably would have got me for crossing the solid line. I don't know but I didn't lose much sleep over it either.

I guess this was before the change to a toll lane. That must be fairly recent? Or maybe it's been longer than I think since I've driven thru ATL.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #19

The toll lanes have been there for a few years - but are only on I85 north of Atlanta at present- although they keep talking about building more.

Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Old 06-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #20

The state parks in the Northern portion of Florida and Southeast Georgia usually have plenty of openings in February. The parks on the beaches in West Florida to the East Beaches from Daytona South to the Keys usually book early. Like what was post above you can forget the Keys they book up a year in advance.

Crooked River state park in Southeast Georgia is nice. Note to remember we only have two seasons in the Deep South, A very long summer and a very short winter. The mosquito is the state bird for both states.

I would try to avoid Atlanta if possible, if you must travel through early morning 5-6 am or late evening after 7pm, all bets are off for Friday afternoon. Even the 285 bypass will be at a standstill on Fridays after 2pm.

There are some very good traffic apps that will update on Atlanta traffic. On Friday traffic will be backed up an hour North of Atlanta to almost Macon on South I75.

Most of I75 Is not bad travel with the exception of Atlanta. I would get on I16 East just below Macon and travel over to I95 South, if you plan on going to Jacksonville.
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote