Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2018, 10:58 PM   #1

Dry camping! Buying Jayco 30.5MBOK or 29.5BHDS or Dutchman Altas

O.k. considering buying our first RV it would be a 5th wheel, got a new F250 to pull but haven't gotten 5th wheel yet.
1. Our use case is golf tournaments so we'll mostly dry camp if possible at golf courses. else a connection at a camping place.
2. What should I know about Jayco vs. Dutchman Atlas?
3. Which Jayco HT should I get. I want low maintenance, easy to use.
4. Is Auto leveling really helpful?
5. Do I really need an outdoor kitchen?
6. Do I really need a 2nd A/C?
7. How easy to hoop up satellite and get Direct TV.

Just the start of many questions.
JScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 AM   #2

I have not had a Dutchman, so I can't give you a first hand comparison. My feeling is that both units probably use many of the same parts. The process is pretty similar across the brands. I don't know of anything signficiantly different that one would want to know about them. I would say it would come down to personal preference, or maybe what is more available in your area. I think they would both serve you fine, but both probably have equal amount of maintenance and failures typical in the RV world.

Regarding which HT model you should get, the floor plans are very personal preference driven. In my opinion, the 29.5BHDS has not 'great' living room seating. I f you are going to spend much time inside, I would want to have a nice comfortable seat/recliner. The 30.5MBOK has a more comfortable looking living area.

Auto level is helpful in my opinion. It's also one more think that 'could go wrong'. Having said that, I currently have auto level and enjoy it. I still find myself using pads under the leveling rams with uneven ground. So it's not 'always' a push button and step back system.

You don't need an outdoor kitchen. If ya'll are outdoor people (within the context of RV living) then the outdoor kitchen may be something you appreciate. In my opinion the outdoor kitchen is one more maintenance thing. One more place to clean. But if you are outside all the time, you may really appreciate it. Some folks with outdoor kitchens keep it open all the time and really work it.

You don't need a second a/c. But if you have the option, I would get it every time. For no other reason than if one a/c breaks on you, the second can give you relief. Our camper is 39' and one a/c will not cool it down during the summer sun months. Overnight one a/c is sufficient. During the day in hot weather, 2 a/c units are a must in my opinion.

Satellite tv is typically an easy set up. I don't use it but I see plenty of folks who do and love it.

Is dry camping at golf courses a tournament thing only? Or is that a common thing at golf courses?
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:50 PM   #3

I agree with the points HBoy made.

Jayco Eagle HT are made much lighter than the Jayco Eagle. I was looking at both and felt the HT did not have the quality components We were looking for. If your dry camping, the Eagle has much larger tanks than the HT.

Auto level is a must. Period. You need to spend time at the driving range not setting up the RV.

My experience is that you only need the 2nd AC when it’s over 90 or so. Golfing in Arizona, get a 2nd AC for sure.

I use Dish network. Easy to set up and you can turn it off so you don’t get charged the $7 month when you don’t use it. Use the savings for more golf balls.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:52 PM   #4

Oh, and skip the outdoor kitchen, fridge only works when you are plugged in and you’ll probably have some sort of BBQ anyway.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #5

Do you plan on using a generator when you dry camp? You will not be able to use your A/C's when dry camping unless you have a generator.

I would get 2 A/Cs. We are always installing second A/C's here in MN. Once the sun beats on the fiberglass, it really heats up the wall and the insulation sucks! I own a 29' TT and have two A/C's.

I find that the fiberglass trailers have a harder time with cooling than the metal sided trailers. We have sold 34RSBS with single A/Cs both in metal siding and fiberglass. The metal sided customers have no problems with cooling. The fiberglass customers need a second A/C.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #6

Also, if doing a lot of dry camping, putting Micro-Air Soft starts on the A/C's is well worth it. A lot less power draw on the generator.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
. . . Jayco Eagle HT are made much lighter than the Jayco Eagle. I was looking at both and felt the HT did not have the quality components We were looking for. If your dry camping, the Eagle has much larger tanks than the HT . . .
I've looked closely at the entire Eagle line. There's very little difference in the basic construction (cabinetry, interior decor, exterior/interior wall construction, colors, frame, axles, etc.) between the Eagle and Eagle HT. The Eagle HT's are the smallest, shortest Eagles which are simply "lighter" by default---not because they're constructed differently with less capable materials. It stands to reason a larger model of Eagle may have larger tanks (and larger xyz's) than a smaller Eagle HT simply because there may be insufficient physical space to place these larger items on a smaller trailer.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 07:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
I've looked closely at the entire Eagle line. There's very little difference in the basic construction (cabinetry, interior decor, exterior/interior wall construction, colors, frame, axles, etc.) between the Eagle and Eagle HT. The Eagle HT's are the smallest, shortest Eagles which are simply "lighter" by default---not because they're constructed differently with less capable materials. It stands to reason a larger model of Eagle may have larger tanks (and larger xyz's) than a smaller Eagle HT simply because there may be insufficient physical space to place these larger items on a smaller trailer.

The two I was looking at were the HT 28.5rsts and the Eagle 291rsts. I bought the 291, even though it’s only 8” longer than the HT, the HT empty weight was 8620 and the Eagle was 9685. Something in the construction must be heavier to add 1000 pounds. Seemed to have a stiffer frame, but maybe not if you say they are the same. Either way, a year ago when we bought it it seemed like like the 291 was a better unit. We really enjoy the unit and after about 8000 miles we still don’t have any warranty issues.

Looking forward to spring so we can get back on the road! Happy travels.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
The two I was looking at were the HT 28.5rsts and the Eagle 291rsts. I bought the 291, even though it’s only 8” longer than the HT, the HT empty weight was 8620 and the Eagle was 9685. Something in the construction must be heavier to add 1000 pounds. Seemed to have a stiffer frame, but maybe not if you say they are the same. Either way, a year ago when we bought it it seemed like like the 291 was a better unit. We really enjoy the unit and after about 8000 miles we still don’t have any warranty issues.

Looking forward to spring so we can get back on the road! Happy travels.
We've looked at several 291RSTS's when we were looking at trailers last years---nice unit!

I would venture to say the vast majority of the 1,000 lb. weight difference you're observing is based on the additional weight the more upscale accouterments and options bring to your Eagle 291RSTS (vs. the less costly Eagle HT 28.5RSTS). . . and very little to do with any significant differences in the design and construction of the frame, axles, flooring, walls, roof, etc. Due to the stark similarity of the frame design used for the entire Eagle line, it wouldn't surprise me if the lighter Eagle HT's actually exhibited less frame flex than the standard Eagles.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #10

I think the reason the HTs are lighter than straight Eagles, other than being a bit shorter, is because the ceilings are lower. Look at the mid bunk models... Eagle has a loft, HT has no room for a loft. (North point loft has an even higher ceiling).
Wire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, dry camping, new rv owners, purchase