Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
Say

Dual pedestal table wobble

Wondering if anyone has modified their dining table to make it more secure than the dual pedestal arrangement on the 265rslw TT. The wobble makes me a little crazy
Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #2

We stabilized our table easily by purchasing and extendable closet rod about 3 foot long. We could then gradually tighten the rod and propped it up nearest the cushion to provide a third stabilizing post Works great.
GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:04 PM   #3

We have the same set up, making sure the receivers on the floor were fully tightened helped eliminate some of the wobble.

I wasn't able to get it totally secure, like a lot of things in my RV I couldn't make perfect, so I changed my way of thinking.

Initially I wanted everything to be as "good as" my house. Now I look at as being better than when we camped in a tent
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #4

The wobble on the dinette of my first Jayco drove me nuts. I secured it to the wall using hinges and pins. I could still convert the table to a small bed if necessary.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:31 PM   #5

I have the same model and the same issue. What was wrong with the wall hinge everyone used for the last 30 years? That sure seemed easier to me to use than this dual pedestal setup.

Richard
Old 08-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #6

Why do the Jayco ones wqobble last trailer didn't. Maybe because its plastic on the floor. Looks like abit of flex there.
kayco53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:58 PM   #7

Last year I fixed the wobbly table issue (thanks to this Forum). Went to Lowes and bought a garage shelf set up that screwed on the wall, and the other piece screwed under the table. It hooks together in about a 30 degree angle and can still be taken off to make a bed. I then eliminated the leg closest to the wall and moved the other leg's baseplate an inch or so to accommodate the new location.
The table is now as solid as my home table. I leave it up while traveling and really enjoy it's sturdiness.
Sorry I don't have parts numbers but look at Lowes and you'll find it.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:04 PM   #8

Read my post and boy was I confused! I didn't buy the actual shelf, just the wall plate and the piece you mount on the table. Had to cut to correct length. That stuff is heavy duty "brackets" that you would typically use in your garage or workshop.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:20 AM   #9

My new 23RB came with the new style table legs. It's the one that will fold down to the dinette seat height to make a bed.

When I saw it in the brochure, I thought it was a great thing. Would even allow me to take it outside. After my up close and personal experience with it, I'd like to throw it out. For me, it's hard to put down, or to raise it up. On top of that, it's heavy as Hades. No way I'll be lugging it outside.

At this time, I'm currently looked at alternative leg solutions, including getting an after market dual pedestal arrangement.

On my 23RB, I can't attach the table to the wall. The bottom of the window is about 6+ inches below the table level.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
Say

Thank you all for your ideas. My "de-wobble" quest continues
Old 08-16-2017, 12:04 PM   #11

I solved our wobble and made the area more comfortable by replacing the big table with 2 small ones. It is just me and the missus and we find it really opens up that space. Without the weight of the full table these seem to be more stable.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0043.JPG  
Old 08-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #12

Here is the old style that work perfectly fine. Requires wall mount and leg.
Table Hinge Bracket - $16.99

Old 08-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #13

To be clear, I'm not selling anything nor do I endorse the seller I linked to, I was using the link only as an example of the item I was trying to describe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakerEasy View Post

Old 08-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #14

I have pulled the posts out and using a pair like channel.locks, I squeezed the crimped areas on each end to reduce the.size of the i indentation. This makes the diameter of the post larger to the point I had to almost hammer the table in place. it will likely loosen again over time but it's a quick fix at no cost..
ScottB1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:19 AM   #15

I eliminated the wobble from my table by using the table hinge bracket along with the 2 existing legs. The hinge bracket prevents the side to side movement. It was a fairly simple mod, just measure acurately before installing the wall brackets. I needed screw anchors for the hollow wall and once the bracket was in place the legs needed to be repositioned under the table top to line up with the floor pockets. To do this I unscrewed the legs from the table top and placed the legs in their pockets, rested the table on the legs and them reattached them. The new position of the legs was only about a half inch from the original position. Having the wall bracket has made it easier to convert the table to a bed because one end is already supported. Also I could not use the 2 upper wall brackets because of a window next to the table. But they are not really necessary with the 2 legs. My original intent for using the table hinge was to make it easier to covert the dinette to a bed, the wobble elimination was a pleasant surprise.
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:31 AM   #16

Can't use that with my table. The window is too low. I believe Jayco made the window a foot too low. I mean, it's not like we would loose any sight lines with a shorter window. The table is currently in the way of any outside view as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakerEasy View Post

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:38 PM   #17

The window next to my table also extends below the table top when in the up position, and that was why I could not use the upper brackets included with the hinge kit. The wire hinge part is not quite 8 inches high. After I lowered the table to its sleeping position I measured from the table top to the bottom of the window and found there was just enough clearance to mount the bottom hinge bracket below the window frame. Whether by design or by coincidence the total height change from eating to sleeping was still the same as it was before adding the hinge. That is the reason the existing legs still worked with the modified set up.
Popcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:20 AM   #18
Say

Our previous TT (Layton) had this set up and I may go back to that. Thanks. For a quick fix, and because we have only needed the bed space once, I introduced the pedestals and table to several minutes of a rubber mallet. It stabilized the table pretty well.