Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3'senough View Post
One question: Why so far? There are several "discount" dealers between FL and NH. Seems like a haul, especially for a quick pick up with no plans to stay in the location. Is it used?
Either way I would vouch for Jayco as standing behind their product under warranty except when second owner comes in as it's voided. I am on my second unit from them and sure I have had some minor issues or kinks if you will, but structurally my units have been very sound and of little issue. Components is where most the of the issues arise and these are from vendors outside Jayco.

Eternabond for any roof leaks and Gorilla tape for whatever you may find needing a temp hold down if so, but think that is the last on the list for a pick up. First is a couple of good bungies, chocks, jack, flashlight, lugwrench (not provided) and some minor tools.

Did you line up a dealer locally to service it, if and when you need might need to? There might be your hardship.
3'senogh:

One of the local TT sellers has just recently begun selling Jayco products. The salesman I got through luck of the draw was a pleasant enough person and I believe he was trying to be helpful and conclude a sale. Unfortunately, info provided by factory brochure and info used by this dealer was, in the main, contradictory and the seller did not want to be bothered with finding answers.

Two weeks later, turn to the internet... I soon discovered an outlet in Middlebury that was not only knowledgeable about the basic 23RB but, lo and behold, provided discounted prices for all of the pick 'n choose, Elite upgrades a potential buyer might wish to have. Back and forth by email took a couple of weeks and I could usually expect a reply within minutes, yes minutes. I even got replies shortly after midnight when the salesman should (?) have been sound asleep. For that kind of interest and fidelity + a price way below what I would have gotten locally, I will drive 800 miles to buy the model exactly as I want it made. Have I shot myself in the foot by not buying from a local source? Could be, particularly after I now begin to learn from forum threads that repair sites for Jayco products are an independent bunch and may or may not give a warranty hoot, if they were not the initial seller. Scary thought but seems to be a real possibility.

Bob
Gharwali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #22

Sounds like you got what you want and with all the boxes checked. I did 450 miles my first time around, so it's not unheard of. Did they beat RV direct in Orlando? Just curiuos as Middlebury is closer to my neck of the woods when and if I am the market come several years.

Either way good luck and enjoy!

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #23

I bought my Jayco 27RLS in Middlebury from Indiana RV Connection in late March 2015. They were very professional and the 'end to end' purchase was just as represented and trouble free. Their price was better than anyone in my area, even after driving 3,600 miles (1,800 miles to pickup the trailer and 1,800 miles to bring it home).

And, yes, I was nervous, too, but not about Jayco trailers...
Between 2007 and 2010 I delivered MANY trailers for Jayco all over the U.S. and Canada (approx. 135,000 miles towing their trailers); all of them virtually trouble free. There were a couple of very minor issues (a open window and interior lights left on) that I could not correct when delivering because I did not have any keys for the units. You'd catch that during your PDI and you'll have keys to your trailer.

The most potentially serious problem I ever had when delivering for Jayco was a wheel bearing that was running hot. I called dispatch and they directed me to a nearby RV repair facility. And that was taken care quickly.

Bringing my trailer home, a weather strip for the slider was not fastened at the bottom. It slid down a bit every day for 4 days. In AZ, I stopped at a Jayco dealer on Saturday and they fixed it in a few minutes.

But, I never needed any 'tape' of any kind at any time... although I did have some handy just in case.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #24

FWIW....I have owned 2 Jaycos, a Forest River and a Keystone. Jayco, while not perfect has been far superior in every way. Stuff continues to decline in quality with every brand, but nowhere near the issues I had with the other brands.

Also, I haven't had any trouble with work, warranty or not with any of the brands. You should be able to find a good dealer around you that will be more than willing to help should the need arise. Yours may not be first one they work on, but it'll get done.

I understand your concerns, but I'd recommend not focusing on the bad parts. Most everyone on here (for example) has great experiences but most of what is read is complaints because people tend to be more vocal about those. Enjoy your new purchase and relax. Congrats!
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:51 AM   #25

My observation is that a whole lot of people are natural blamers. They want a trailer for the cheapest price that doesn't have any issues for 20 years. When my previous other-brand roof leaked at the cracked seam, I blamed myself for not examining the seams. I suspect a whole bunch of people would blame the RV company for not using Eternabond from the factory.

While I did Eternabond the seams on my other trailer, I'm not sold on Eternabond for the roof like many. I think I feel more comfortable with the calk stuff. For one, unless the roof is cleaned really well and primed with the expensive Eternabond primer, it really isn't always "eternal". Then there are people that also calk the Eternabond tape on both sides of the tape.

By the time a guy does all that for a couple hindered bucks, he could have just examined the roof, calked as needed, and been done in 30 minutes for $20. To each his own I guess.
Clevelandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #26

So help me understand please. You are looking for some kind of "magic tape" to fix issues from the factory?

I think you are giving too much weight to the negative comments you read. For every negative comment there are 100 satisfied owners, or perhaps more, that you never hear from.

I have purchased 3 Jayco trailers new. I can tell you that the few issues I've had were minor cosmetic issues that I easily fixed. Nothing ever required any kind of tape. Over all construction is solid. You won't have anything to worry about on your initial trip home with the trailer. Just enjoy and have fun!
DocBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #27

I have to agree with those who speak up for Jayco. I bought from a dealer a thousand miles away. Their price was way better than our state's dealers and delivery was, of course, nominal. Further, the trip was over halfway to MD, where we were going to visit anyway. The dealer experience was excellent throughout the process of negotiating, setting the delivery date months down the road, the PDI and subsequent phone inquiries after the purchase. All that said, I don't think I'd risk it a second time. RV dealers, unlike car dealerships, don't want warranty work in the first place, and I've only found one that would honor the warranty for a unit bought elsewhere. We were fortunate to not have but a couple very minor problems throughout the warranty period. However, I did have to call Jayco two or three times with questions and was very pleased with the company's CS personnel and their responses.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:40 PM   #28

My simple thoughts to this thread are:
1) I love my Jayco
2) I love my gorilla tape
Old 05-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharwali View Post
waggs999:
Your suggestion to remain in Middlebury for a couple of nights certainly has merit. Unfortunately, my work schedule probably will not allow anything more than a speedy trip to the seller and return home to NW FL. Not yet having a firm delivery date also makes such an arrangement entirely problematic. At least, I'm confident I will discover how well my Tundra TV and 23RB behave on a 800+ mile trip south.

TexasRT:
Your observation regarding my last contribution to this thread "is more to bash Jayco...than to get information about duct tape" is incorrect. You will likely agree that there is an abundance of complaints--justified and unjustified--that are probably worthy of note, particularly from my vantage point of being a newbie. Hence, I'm not bashing anyone, but merely reacting to situations I may or may not encounter as a future Jayco TT owner.

Bob
Bob I think your making a mistake making such a quick trip. If you toured the plant, spent a night to make sure things work as you expect you will have a much better experience. Also there is a great deal to experience in the area. I tow with a Tundra with tow package etc and have no problems with my 27RLS, which I picked up in early April in Middlebury. Had only minor cosmetic issues which I was able to repair myself.

I'm sure you will be happy with your new Jayco.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:19 AM   #30

If you get camo gorilla tape it blends into everything.
2007 Yamaha Grizzly 400 ATV and Yamaha 2000 watt Genny
Me/retired insurance claims and DW/retired RN.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."-Red Green
dougfir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfir1 View Post
If you get camo gorilla tape it blends into everything.
Limit the use of camo. I overdid it. Now I can't find my ****** trailer!

'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote