Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
jtownstumpjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Jonesboro AR
Posts: 285
I had ask a hitch question of my dealer's setup man recently....across the scale I show a tongue weight of approx. 1200 lbs.....my concern was my EazLift bars are rated 1000 lbs....his reply is that's 1000 lbs per bar and with 2 bars that's a total of 2000 lbs so, therefore, my tongue weight of 1200 lbs is well within the limit....any thoughts??
__________________

__________________

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
snip..his reply is that's 1000 lbs per bar and with 2 bars that's a total of 2000 lbs so, therefore, my tongue weight of 1200 lbs is well within the limit....any thoughts??
He's incorrect.

If your scaled "loaded" tongue weight is in fact 1,200lbs and reflects your normal loading, I would move up to a 1,200lb rated WDH minimum. I don't know about EazLift WDH's, but with some WDH manufactures all you have to do is change-out the spring bars (trunnion style bars only, not round bars).

Back to your RV dealer setup man's comment......: The 1,000lbs is actually the individual spring bar's "load" capability (tension), meaning it's ability to produce a force (thru leverage) to distribute weight. The two spring bars together have the capability to generate a downward force of 2,000lbs at the TT ball coupler....., but that's only a small part of the physics behind a WDH.

Bob
__________________

__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
jtownstumpjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Jonesboro AR
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
He's incorrect.

If your scaled "loaded" tongue weight is in fact 1,200lbs and reflects your normal loading, I would move up to a 1,200lb rated WDH minimum. I don't know about EazLift WDH's, but with some WDH manufactures all you have to do is change-out the spring bars (trunnion style bars only, not round bars).

Back to your RV dealer setup man's comment......: The 1,000lbs is actually the individual spring bar's "load" capability (tension), meaning it's ability to produce a force (thru leverage) to distribute weight. The two spring bars together have the capability to generate a downward force of 2,000lbs at the TT ball coupler....., but that's only a small part of the physics behind a WDH.

Bob
Have just ordered 2 replacement Eaz-Lift 1400# spring bars because of my tongue weight....that was what the next size was that I could find where I could buy just the bars and not have to buy the complete WDH assembly.....this, I hope, will provide the safety and ride I need.....

Can I still draw up to the 3rd chain link as I had been doing with 1000# bars and get the weight distribution that I previously had?

Will I notice any difference in the ride with the 1400# bars as compared to the 1000# bars?

Appreciate your comments, Rustic Eagle....Thanks.
__________________

2014 Jayco White Hawk 30DSQB Summit Edition, Glacier Package
2012 GMC 2500HD Z71 SLT 4WD Crew Cab...DuraMax/Allison....3.73 Rear Axle.
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 LTZ 4WD Crew Cab...Vortec 6.0L V8...3.73 Rear Axle..(traded)
2011 Chevrolet Avalanche...5.3L V8...3.42..(traded)
jtownstumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
snip.....Can I still draw up to the 3rd chain link as I had been doing with 1000# bars and get the weight distribution that I previously had?......snip
Not likely...., but what I would recommend is a visit to a CAT scale with your loaded TV/TT combination, this is the only way to dial-in a WDH correctly and confirm all your weights. Everyone should preform a CAT scale weigh-in at least once on a given TV/TT combo.

CAT scale TV/TT how-to: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f37/how-to-weigh-your-tv-tt-3871.html

Feel free to start your own thread and report back with your CAT results for additional review and comment if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtownstumpjumper View Post
snip.....Will I notice any difference in the ride with the 1400# bars as compared to the 1000# bars?....snip
Yes, but for the better. The 1,400lb spring bars when adjusted properly will provide "consistent" weight distribution thus producing enhanced TV handling of the TT. You may also find that the 1,400lb bars will stabilize the TV/TT faster under less then ideal road surface conditions as well.

Bob
__________________

__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.