Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

Dumb question of the day: Hauling water

For the solar eclipse I will be traveling to a tiny town in Oregon and camping in a farm field for 4 days. No services. Since I have no idea where I might have the opportunity to fill up the fresh water tank I am thinking about filling it up at home and driving with it full. Its an 8 hour trip.

Any issues with hauling a full water tank? I assume its designed to be able to do that but I have never done it so wanted to ask to avoid any potential pitfalls.

thanks!
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #2

I've traveled with 40 gallons and no issues. I wouldn't hesitate to do it if I was in your shoes. Seems like some people have a problem with losing water through the overflow while traveling, so you might want to line up a plan b close to where you will be, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:14 PM   #3

I have hauled with a full tank. It just adds more weight obviously. My biggest concern for 4 days no service would be battery and getting that water to last 4 days. You are going to need to be very frugal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:23 PM   #4

I wouldnt have a problem doing it. We go places where there is no water service frequently and just haul it with us. I would either put in a little or fill it to keep the sloshing minimized.

Plan b is not a bad idea either as at first our tank would lose about 75% of its water while traveling even in only a couple hours time. When the trailer was in for some warranty work I put that on the list. The service writer told me it was common and not a problem just fill up when you get there. I had to impress upon him that a water tank that didn't hold water was a problem and that if I knew there was water where I was going I wouldn't haul it. I haul it because I know there isn't any water where I am going hence the dang tank. When I picked it up he told me they rerouted the line higher and it seems to have worked as I don't lose it any more.
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #5

Extra Water Extra Weight

I do not like to carry the extra weight. I will find a local KOA, grocery store, or fast food joint and ask ahead if I can fill my tanks. For the cost of a shake, most would be glad to help out. And you get to eat the shake.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
Site Team

I have this 210 gal agricultural in truck bed tank.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-h-x-51-in-dia

I use it to water our vegetable garden and grapes since it is too far from the house to practically run a hose.

They make them in all shapes and sizes from 35 gal on up. I don't know if it would be drinking water safe, but certainly could haul enough water for toilet flushing, washing, etc. Maybe something like this could be of benefit for a weekend like you have planned.

On edit: I see from your signature that you are towing with an SUV. I was assuming that you were pulling with a truck.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I have two Honda generators so I will have power and be able to use AC. Just need to solve the water problem.
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4D View Post
For the solar eclipse I will be traveling to a tiny town in Oregon and camping in a farm field for 4 days. No services. Since I have no idea where I might have the opportunity to fill up the fresh water tank I am thinking about filling it up at home and driving with it full. Its an 8 hour trip.

Any issues with hauling a full water tank? I assume its designed to be able to do that but I have never done it so wanted to ask to avoid any potential pitfalls.

thanks!
First of all - hope you have a great time watching the Solar Eclipse! We're up by Portland and will be watching from here instead. If it were me, I'd probably wait until I was close to my destination before filling up the tanks. This will save you the weight (8.34lbs per gallon) and MPG. (Ex: 40gal tank=333.6lbs) Good luck!
Old 07-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #9

Jayco Customer Service tells me that the way to avoid the dreaded "siphoning" problem is to watch the FW tank gauge while filling and stop before reaching the overflow point. Granted that the gauge is not very precise, it may take a while to learn when to stop.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
Jayco Customer Service tells me that the way to avoid the dreaded "siphoning" problem is to watch the FW tank gauge while filling and stop before reaching the overflow point. Granted that the gauge is not very precise, it may take a while to learn when to stop.

You can very easily adds shut off valve to the end of your overflow tube. Leave it open at all times except when your hauling water and it will never siphon out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post
You can very easily adds shut off valve to the end of your overflow tube. Leave it open at all times except when your hauling water and it will never siphon out.
I have a 2017 Precept 31UL. It is my understanding that it has 4 overflow tubes and, in slumming around underneath the thing, I haven't yet been able to even SEE any overflow tubes. So perhaps it isn't so easy with this model?
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #12

10 lbs a gallon. 400lbs extra weight. Search for a sanidump nearby should have fresh water. Use the Google 😉
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:00 PM   #13

You should be fine. Just top off your fresh water tank and put a cork in the end of the overflow tube. We do this often (~90gal of fresh water) and have had no issues.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #14

water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon
Old 07-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV4D View Post

thanks!
You can see that I have the same TT as you do, and we have never left home without a full tank. I don't see any reason to try and find water in an unfamiliar place when I have all I need right at home.

It also doesn't make enough difference in mileage with or without full tanks. You are already dragging a 5000 pound parachute behind you, so an additional 350 pounds isn't really going to change any thing significantly.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress View Post
water weighs 8.34 pounds per gallon
Sorry I am Canadian imperial gallon is larger than us gallon. Your weight would be more accurate I believe all specs will be in us gallons. The other issue is have read about but not experienced is the tank straps can be quite flimsy and are not necessarily strong enough to carry the load of the water tank bouncing down the hwy. Won't say i have never travelled without a full tank but after reading that I have given it second thoughts and try to travel empty to low whenever possible.
Cranetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdorant View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The overflow also prevents a vacuum when you draw water. You need to open it as a vent when you get there.

Also you might want to pick up a couple of blue water jugs (5 gal). That would give you a bit of a buffer. And don't forget the holding capacity of your grey and black tanks. Don't want to overfill those when using water for dishes, showers, etc.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
The overflow also prevents a vacuum when you draw water. You need to open it as a vent when you get there.
I cannot speak for all trailers, but each that I have owned are vented at the same location as the fill spout, there is a small tube that vents and you can hear air rushing as you fill your tank, I also have overflow lines under the trailer.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:08 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfenwick View Post
That does not work all the time. Our overflow is on the passenger side and the crown of the highway is going to make the overflow 2-4 inches lower than the rest of the tank... it starts the siphon and sloshes lots of water out.

and if you look at where Jayco puts our tank sensors... the full sensor is really at 2/3 of a full tank.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrotor View Post
I cannot speak for all trailers, but each that I have owned are vented at the same location as the fill spout, there is a small tube that vents and you can hear air rushing as you fill your tank, I also have overflow lines under the trailer.
That is the vent for filling and allow air when using water from the tank. That also is where siphoning is. Some units do have the vent is a slightly different spot but it does the same thing.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote