Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #1

E2 Trunion Hitch 2010 Jayco Jay Flight

Tow Vehicle: 2017 Yukon Denali
Trailer: 2017 Jayco Jay Flight

Thoughts FOR or AGAINST a Fastway E2 Trunion Style Hitch? Assuming I will max load it and have a weight at 6,000lbs, I am looking at the 8,000lb hitch based on talking to the Fastway customer service rep.

Thanks in advance.
Charlie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie33 View Post
Tow Vehicle: 2017 Yukon Denali
Trailer: 2017 Jayco Jay Flight

Thoughts FOR or AGAINST a Fastway E2 Trunion Style Hitch? Assuming I will max load it and have a weight at 6,000lbs, I am looking at the 8,000lb hitch based on talking to the Fastway customer service rep.

Thanks in advance.
We recently bought a 2011 Yukon Denali XL, and traded in our Jayco 154bh for a Jayco 224bh.

I had been using the Fastway E2 wd hitch, with the 600/6000 lb bars, to tow the 154bh with a 2013 Dodge Caravan. The Yukon is quite a bit higher than the Caravan, so the standard E2 head would no longer work. So I purchased the longest shank that Fastway makes. It works perfectly with the Yukon.

I towed the old 154 to the CW dealership, about two and a half hours away from us. I had them transfer the E2 frame brackets to the new 224. Because they did not have the E2 brackets spaced evenly on each side, I had to fix that when I got the RV home. I did seem to notice a very small amounts sway on the way home with the 224, which may have been because of the bracket spacing issue.

Also I just ordered 800-pound bars for the E2. That will give me some extra downward force without having to change the head angle.

That's important, since the Yukons have the auto level system. It tries to fight you somewhat. As a result you really have to raise the trailer tongue jack very high when hitching/unhitching, to release the pressure on the sway bars. So the more E2 head angle you use (to increase weight distribution), the higher you have to jack everything when hitching/unhitching.

Best wishes.
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #3

And FWIW, I'll report back when I've had a chance to try towing with the new 800 lb bars.

One last thing: you will need to get the E2 frame brackets as close as possible to the back of the LP tanks tray as possible, to stay within the setup specifications for the hitch. If you go much past 27 inches from the bracket centers to the hitch ball axis, you risk having the spring bars pop off the brackets when making a sharp turn.

Best wishes.
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:36 PM   #4

I'm running a 2015 Sierra 1500 Denali with a Fastway E2 trunnion rated at 800/8Klbs. I'm towing a Coleman 29ft trailer with a gross of 6500lbs.

The above combination is fantastic. Absolutely no issues at speed with wind or 18 wheelers, or on curvy 2 lane roads. The rig is stable and easy to backup or maneuver. If you install according to the instructions, you will be fine. Easy peasy install as well.

NOTE: I previously towed my TT with a Yukon XL with the 5.3. Good combo but the 4 speed trannie wasn't enough. The E2 hitch was installed lower to accommodate the lower height of the Yukon XL. The Sierra Denali is raised 2.5 inches. So I had to start from scratch with the E2 install. Again, I followed the instructions and all is well. One pic above shows me in the middle of the install process....close up pic is prior to me measuring the Sierra front and rear for the final check. I needed to make one more adjustment then all was well.

OH...you should fill the water tank if it's in the middle, install the battery and have both propane tanks full. IE, set up with basic stuff in trailer.

Have any issues, PM me. BTW, there is a video on youtube showing how to install the E2 trunnion hitch.

Attached Thumbnails
20190409_192542.jpg   20190416_145156.jpg  
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 04:13 PM   #5

THANKS to both of ya for the input. I'll be utilizing all of the information (& video) when I go to do the install. The one tricky thing I have to factor in, that was mentioned, is the auto rear leveling air suspension for my Yukon. So, we shall see how it all goes.

Cheers!
Charlie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

I’ve used an e2 for 6 years. 8k tt, 1100# tongue, 1200# bars. I had to tack weld the L brackets to the A frame to keep them in place. Also, get Equalizer bracket jackets to quiet the noises. You can’t grease that area of the hitch and it pops and groans at low speed.