Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
BuddyRay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Decatur
Posts: 643
Would a longer shank on the hitch block help? Get the hitch ball farther away from the bumper? I know I've seen hitch setups like this.

I have a cul-de-sac at the end of my street and when I had a TT I had to pull around there to park in front of my house. It was always tight but I could make it unless too many cars were parked there. But then I only had a 20ft TT.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco 2016 Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:44 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Olympia
Posts: 54
It all has to do with your hitch setup... I had to get a different drop hitch for my setup and the 1st one I would most likely hit if I did 90 degrees... On my new setup, it pushed the ball/head back a couple more inches and I can go well beyond 90 degrees...
__________________

Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
It all has to do with your hitch setup... I had to get a different drop hitch for my setup and the 1st one I would most likely hit if I did 90 degrees... On my new setup, it pushed the ball/head back a couple more inches and I can go well beyond 90 degrees...
If I went with an 18" long bar rather than 12", I'm sure I wouldn't hit.
Also, I should be clear that I'm probably not even 75 degrees when it hits.
Thanks for the reply.
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Edd505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Elephant Butte, NM
Posts: 1,190
I'm not sure there is a "standard cul-de-sac" but I was able to turn my old 25ft 5W in front of my sisters house with a Extended cab SD. I now have a 33ft 5W & same TV and there is no way I can make that turn now. With just the SD ext cab long bed I need 4 lanes to make a u turn, curb to curb. A SD crew & 37 ft + TT makes a long unit. There must be some a math formula for turning radius based an wheel base. Is it even possible to turn that long a unit in a cul-de-sac? BuddyRay's might stop the contact but the longer you are the more room needed to turn. Just thinking out loud.
__________________
2017 Durango G353KRT 2006 F350SD 6.0 LB Crew
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
I'm not sure there is a "standard cul-de-sac" but I was able to turn my old 25ft 5W in front of my sisters house with a Extended cab SD. I now have a 33ft 5W & same TV and there is no way I can make that turn now. With just the SD ext cab long bed I need 4 lanes to make a u turn, curb to curb. A SD crew & 37 ft + TT makes a long unit. There must be some a math formula for turning radius based an wheel base. Is it even possible to turn that long a unit in a cul-de-sac? BuddyRay's might stop the contact but the longer you are the more room needed to turn. Just thinking out loud.
I'm unsure of the circle size in the cul-de-sac, but I have swung it there a couple times without incident; and a 53' tractor trailer has no issues....
This past trip I was just in auto pilot and didn't begin my turn early enough...
My concern with a longer bar is the moment applied, doesn't seem like the right idea. In addition, Jayco needs to be clear of what the maximum turn angle is. I won't get off that horse....
She certainly is a big girl, and the SD handles her with ease, except.....
Thank you.
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:22 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Edd505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Elephant Butte, NM
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eagle View Post
and a 53' tractor trailer has no issues....
Can't help with the radius issue but from the statement I assume you are or have been a commercial driver and know about the scuffing of the trailer wheels as it comes around, something to watch. The mounting of the 5W to the tractor frame makes it near impossible to contact the cab especially in a day cab, sleepers maybe. Hope someone can answer your clearance issue, good luck.
__________________
2017 Durango G353KRT 2006 F350SD 6.0 LB Crew
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #17
bap
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Walpole
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eagle View Post
bap, the situation didn't arise backing up, instead it occurred swinging it in a cul de sac. I'd suggest if your comments aren't helpful, and you make assumptions, then you should just keep them to yourself.
Be helpful, or don't be
You don't need to be rude. There is no place on this site for that. If you don't like the answers given then either ignore them, get off the site, or try putting all the information in your post so people know what your are actually talking about. You never mentioned once in your original post that you were driving forward.
__________________
TV 2013 RAM 1500 4x4 Tradesman W/5.7L Hemi 6spd auto w/3.55 rears
TT 2009 Jayco Jayflight G2 29BHS
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Winterset
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eagle View Post
In addition, Jayco needs to be clear of what the maximum turn angle is. I won't get off that horse....
In reviewing the owners manual for the 2016 Eagle TTs (the 2017 isn't available online yet) they don't list a maximum turn angle. In all my years I don't remember ever seeing a maximum turn angle listed in any of their manuals. There are way too many towing configurations for them to figure a turn angle for every set-up. The responsibility of safe operation of the vehicle lies with the driver.

I'm not sure what you expect Jayco to say about the situation.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Olympia
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
In reviewing the owners manual for the 2016 Eagle TTs (the 2017 isn't available online yet) they don't list a maximum turn angle. In all my years I don't remember ever seeing a maximum turn angle listed in any of their manuals. There are way too many towing configurations for them to figure a turn angle for every set-up. The responsibility of safe operation of the vehicle lies with the driver.

I'm not sure what you expect Jayco to say about the situation.
Well said... It isn't up to the trailer to decide what your turning radius is... It's your tow vehicle and hitch setup...

I tow my 174BH with a Jeep Wrangler and I can get WELL beyond 90 degrees. I have turned around in a small intersection before and still had room to go...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:31 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
In reviewing the owners manual for the 2016 Eagle TTs (the 2017 isn't available online yet) they don't list a maximum turn angle. In all my years I don't remember ever seeing a maximum turn angle listed in any of their manuals. There are way too many towing configurations for them to figure a turn angle for every set-up. The responsibility of safe operation of the vehicle lies with the driver.

I'm not sure what you expect Jayco to say about the situation.
I disagree with your comments, as you're missing the point. The distance from the pivot point on the trailer to the front of the cab should be such that any tow vehicle on the market can achieve a 90 degree angle to the trailer. This is controlled by the distance from the the trailer pivot point to the front of the trailer cap. That engineering detail is the responsibility of the trailer designer: Jayco.
That being said, there could be several reasons for the interference, which may not be design related, and instead production related.
While I appreciate the effort to help find the answer, you really need to understand the full scope of the problem to troubleshoot it. And the initial question can only be answered with others with the same trailer, as all of the trailers are designed with a different front end.
Jayco's engineering team is looking into the issue now, so I can report back their findings soon.
As a side note, the cap on the 2017 is different than the 2016, and looks to be back further.
Thanks.
__________________

Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.