Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #1

Eagle 314BHDS turning radius

I have a 2016 Eagle 314BHDS, and a 2106 Ford Super Duty, Super Crew.
The issue is this: I cannot turn my truck perpendicular to the trailer, as the upper corner of the bed hit the cap on the front of the trailer. Did anyone else have this issue?

Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #2

Eagle 314BHDS turning radius

Post removed by author because it was based on an incorrect assumption.

Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:13 PM   #3

The 314Bhds is a travel trailer. The cap on the fron of the TT hits the back upper corner of the truck bed.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #4

I don't think that any truck will be 90 degrees from the trailer because of the way the trailer hitch is built. I would be more afraid of doing more damage to other things if I turned that sharp. I can understand what you are saying though.
2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #5

I'm not sure what could be damaged beside my truck, but I sure will be all over Jaycomfor this miscalculation.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

I have had mine at 90deg at least it looked like it with my old 05 super duty. Haven't had to be I that situation yet with my new ram. I really don't like taking it that far. When backing into my drive way it gets close to 90 but not completely. I always back off of it before it gets that far for fear of damaging wdh or something else.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15BlueStreak View Post
I have had mine at 90deg at least it looked like it with my old 05 super duty. Haven't had to be I that situation yet with my new ram. I really don't like taking it that far. When backing into my drive way it gets close to 90 but not completely. I always back off of it before it gets that far for fear of damaging wdh or something else.
No reason it can't turn to 90' without interference with the WDH not connected. The engineers at Jayco didn't do their diligence. The distance from the pivot point on the hitch and corner of the cap should not allo for interference.
Thanks for your comment.
I will let you guys know what Jayco has to say after a discussion tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eagle View Post
No reason it can't turn to 90' without interference with the WDH not connected. The engineers at Jayco didn't do their diligence. The distance from the pivot point on the hitch and corner of the cap should not allo for interference.
Thanks for your comment.
I will let you guys know what Jayco has to say after a discussion tomorrow.
My wdh is always connected except sway bar when backing in. Unless I'm just moving it around to a different driveway at home. Is there a high percentage of times that you need to do 90 deg. Maybe a 5er would have been better for ya. I gotta say if I can't get 90 deg than its at least 80 to 85 deg. If I can't get in where I need to go with that then I shouldn't be there that's just my .02 cents which ain't worth a whole hell of a lot.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #9
bap

Why would you need to be at a 90 degree angle backing up? It puts an extreme amount of stress on the axles and wheels of the trailer. Unless it is an extremely tight turn into a spot then if you are jacknifing your trailer you need more practice backing up.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
Why would you need to be at a 90 degree angle backing up? It puts an extreme amount of stress on the axles and wheels of the trailer. Unless it is an extremely tight turn into a spot then if you are jacknifing your trailer you need more practice backing up.
bap, the situation didn't arise backing up, instead it occurred swinging it in a cul de sac. I'd suggest if your comments aren't helpful, and you make assumptions, then you should just keep them to yourself.
Be helpful, or don't be