Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2016, 08:26 PM   #1

Eagle 314BHDS turning radius

I have a 2016 Eagle 314BHDS, and a 2106 Ford Super Duty, Super Crew.
The issue is this: I cannot turn my truck perpendicular to the trailer, as the upper corner of the bed hit the cap on the front of the trailer. Did anyone else have this issue?
Super Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Eagle 314BHDS turning radius

Post removed by author because it was based on an incorrect assumption. [emoji12]
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

The 314Bhds is a travel trailer. The cap on the fron of the TT hits the back upper corner of the truck bed.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:19 PM   #4

I don't think that any truck will be 90 degrees from the trailer because of the way the trailer hitch is built. I would be more afraid of doing more damage to other things if I turned that sharp. I can understand what you are saying though.
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #5

I'm not sure what could be damaged beside my truck, but I sure will be all over Jaycomfor this miscalculation.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #6

I have had mine at 90deg at least it looked like it with my old 05 super duty. Haven't had to be I that situation yet with my new ram. I really don't like taking it that far. When backing into my drive way it gets close to 90 but not completely. I always back off of it before it gets that far for fear of damaging wdh or something else.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15BlueStreak View Post
I have had mine at 90deg at least it looked like it with my old 05 super duty. Haven't had to be I that situation yet with my new ram. I really don't like taking it that far. When backing into my drive way it gets close to 90 but not completely. I always back off of it before it gets that far for fear of damaging wdh or something else.
No reason it can't turn to 90' without interference with the WDH not connected. The engineers at Jayco didn't do their diligence. The distance from the pivot point on the hitch and corner of the cap should not allo for interference.
Thanks for your comment.
I will let you guys know what Jayco has to say after a discussion tomorrow.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eagle View Post
No reason it can't turn to 90' without interference with the WDH not connected. The engineers at Jayco didn't do their diligence. The distance from the pivot point on the hitch and corner of the cap should not allo for interference.
Thanks for your comment.
I will let you guys know what Jayco has to say after a discussion tomorrow.
My wdh is always connected except sway bar when backing in. Unless I'm just moving it around to a different driveway at home. Is there a high percentage of times that you need to do 90 deg. Maybe a 5er would have been better for ya. I gotta say if I can't get 90 deg than its at least 80 to 85 deg. If I can't get in where I need to go with that then I shouldn't be there that's just my .02 cents which ain't worth a whole hell of a lot.
15BlueStreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
bap

Why would you need to be at a 90 degree angle backing up? It puts an extreme amount of stress on the axles and wheels of the trailer. Unless it is an extremely tight turn into a spot then if you are jacknifing your trailer you need more practice backing up.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
Why would you need to be at a 90 degree angle backing up? It puts an extreme amount of stress on the axles and wheels of the trailer. Unless it is an extremely tight turn into a spot then if you are jacknifing your trailer you need more practice backing up.
bap, the situation didn't arise backing up, instead it occurred swinging it in a cul de sac. I'd suggest if your comments aren't helpful, and you make assumptions, then you should just keep them to yourself.
Be helpful, or don't be
Old 06-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #11

Would a longer shank on the hitch block help? Get the hitch ball farther away from the bumper? I know I've seen hitch setups like this.

I have a cul-de-sac at the end of my street and when I had a TT I had to pull around there to park in front of my house. It was always tight but I could make it unless too many cars were parked there. But then I only had a 20ft TT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:44 AM   #12

It all has to do with your hitch setup... I had to get a different drop hitch for my setup and the 1st one I would most likely hit if I did 90 degrees... On my new setup, it pushed the ball/head back a couple more inches and I can go well beyond 90 degrees...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
It all has to do with your hitch setup... I had to get a different drop hitch for my setup and the 1st one I would most likely hit if I did 90 degrees... On my new setup, it pushed the ball/head back a couple more inches and I can go well beyond 90 degrees...
If I went with an 18" long bar rather than 12", I'm sure I wouldn't hit.
Also, I should be clear that I'm probably not even 75 degrees when it hits.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #14

I'm not sure there is a "standard cul-de-sac" but I was able to turn my old 25ft 5W in front of my sisters house with a Extended cab SD. I now have a 33ft 5W & same TV and there is no way I can make that turn now. With just the SD ext cab long bed I need 4 lanes to make a u turn, curb to curb. A SD crew & 37 ft + TT makes a long unit. There must be some a math formula for turning radius based an wheel base. Is it even possible to turn that long a unit in a cul-de-sac? BuddyRay's might stop the contact but the longer you are the more room needed to turn. Just thinking out loud.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
I'm not sure there is a "standard cul-de-sac" but I was able to turn my old 25ft 5W in front of my sisters house with a Extended cab SD. I now have a 33ft 5W & same TV and there is no way I can make that turn now. With just the SD ext cab long bed I need 4 lanes to make a u turn, curb to curb. A SD crew & 37 ft + TT makes a long unit. There must be some a math formula for turning radius based an wheel base. Is it even possible to turn that long a unit in a cul-de-sac? BuddyRay's might stop the contact but the longer you are the more room needed to turn. Just thinking out loud.
I'm unsure of the circle size in the cul-de-sac, but I have swung it there a couple times without incident; and a 53' tractor trailer has no issues....
This past trip I was just in auto pilot and didn't begin my turn early enough...
My concern with a longer bar is the moment applied, doesn't seem like the right idea. In addition, Jayco needs to be clear of what the maximum turn angle is. I won't get off that horse....
She certainly is a big girl, and the SD handles her with ease, except.....
Thank you.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #16

Quote:
and a 53' tractor trailer has no issues....
Can't help with the radius issue but from the statement I assume you are or have been a commercial driver and know about the scuffing of the trailer wheels as it comes around, something to watch. The mounting of the 5W to the tractor frame makes it near impossible to contact the cab especially in a day cab, sleepers maybe. Hope someone can answer your clearance issue, good luck.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:08 PM   #17
bap

Quote:
bap, the situation didn't arise backing up, instead it occurred swinging it in a cul de sac. I'd suggest if your comments aren't helpful, and you make assumptions, then you should just keep them to yourself.
Be helpful, or don't be
You don't need to be rude. There is no place on this site for that. If you don't like the answers given then either ignore them, get off the site, or try putting all the information in your post so people know what your are actually talking about. You never mentioned once in your original post that you were driving forward.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #18

Quote:
In addition, Jayco needs to be clear of what the maximum turn angle is. I won't get off that horse....
In reviewing the owners manual for the 2016 Eagle TTs (the 2017 isn't available online yet) they don't list a maximum turn angle. In all my years I don't remember ever seeing a maximum turn angle listed in any of their manuals. There are way too many towing configurations for them to figure a turn angle for every set-up. The responsibility of safe operation of the vehicle lies with the driver.

I'm not sure what you expect Jayco to say about the situation.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post
In reviewing the owners manual for the 2016 Eagle TTs (the 2017 isn't available online yet) they don't list a maximum turn angle. In all my years I don't remember ever seeing a maximum turn angle listed in any of their manuals. There are way too many towing configurations for them to figure a turn angle for every set-up. The responsibility of safe operation of the vehicle lies with the driver.

Well said... It isn't up to the trailer to decide what your turning radius is... It's your tow vehicle and hitch setup...

I tow my 174BH with a Jeep Wrangler and I can get WELL beyond 90 degrees. I have turned around in a small intersection before and still had room to go...
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalton View Post

I disagree with your comments, as you're missing the point. The distance from the pivot point on the trailer to the front of the cab should be such that any tow vehicle on the market can achieve a 90 degree angle to the trailer. This is controlled by the distance from the the trailer pivot point to the front of the trailer cap. That engineering detail is the responsibility of the trailer designer: Jayco.
That being said, there could be several reasons for the interference, which may not be design related, and instead production related.
While I appreciate the effort to help find the answer, you really need to understand the full scope of the problem to troubleshoot it. And the initial question can only be answered with others with the same trailer, as all of the trailers are designed with a different front end.
Jayco's engineering team is looking into the issue now, so I can report back their findings soon.
As a side note, the cap on the 2017 is different than the 2016, and looks to be back further.
Thanks.