Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2016, 07:06 AM   #1

Eagle 314TSBH

I was looking at new Eagles when I came across a really nice used 2014 Eagle 314TSBH. New I was looking at the 314BHDS. I was wondering if anyone had this model and could share if they were happy with it, thanks!
rb2boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #2

We just purchased a new 314BHDS - the TSBH was in consideration but the lack of exterior access to the bathroom was simply a non-negotiable to DW. With two boys and visitors ALWAYS coming to our site we preferred to keep the dirt and foot traffic out of the trailer as much as possible. To be honest I would not buy a used unit - the new one will have better interest rates on the financing and you will get a fresh 2 year warranty.

The other issue for us with the additional rear slide - we normally run two camping mats the length of the trailer and it makes a very nice outdoor area - I wouldn't want that chopped up with the additional slide on that side. Just our opinion. Also I think you would do better on a trade or resale with the 314BHDS as it is an incredibly popular layout - all of the major manufacturers have a similar setup. The back room is the kids area and honestly I could care less if they had more room back there. It's a huge improvement from the tent camping we did as kids Good luck and let me know what you end up with.
16Eagle314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:54 PM   #3

We have a 2016 tsbh & love it. The grand kids love having that room in the back & leaves the main cabin for the adults.

Bill
2016 314 TSBH
2017 F250 XLT 4wd
Propride 3P
Little Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Can View Post
We have a 2016 tsbh & love it. The grand kids love having that room in the back & leaves the main cabin for the adults.

Thanks Bill. How does your Suburban do pulling it? I have a 2002 Suburban 2500 with the 8.1 and 4.10 rear. I have wanted to ask someone with similar how it does.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #5

I have a 2002 Avalanche 2500 (which is essentially the Suburban), with the 8.1 and 3.73 gears - no problem at all. On really LONG grades the 4.10 would probably put the engine in a slightly better RPM range but I have no problem keeping 65 mph. Dealer set up a Reese Dual Cam and the truck handles the weight no problem.

Oh also forgot to mention in my last post if you are having "sticker shock" over the MSRP on the new Eagles you should be able to get the unit for somewhere around 30-40% below that mark.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Eagle314BHDS View Post
I have a 2002 Avalanche 2500 (which is essentially the Suburban), with the 8.1 and 3.73 gears - no problem at all. On really LONG grades the 4.10 would probably put the engine in a slightly better RPM range but I have no problem keeping 65 mph. Dealer set up a Reese Dual Cam and the truck handles the weight no problem.

Oh also forgot to mention in my last post if you are having "sticker shock" over the MSRP on the new Eagles you should be able to get the unit for somewhere around 30-40% below that mark.

Thanks so much for the reply. I loved your original post about caring less if the kids had more room, really made me laugh. I agree about the door to the outside for the bathroom, that is huge for me. My wife is concerned about the counter space in the bathroom on the 314BHDS although I know we could make it work. She is also concerned about kitchen counter space but that is an issue on both models. With the outdoor kitchen I think most cooking will be done outside.

The new 314BHDS I'm looking at retails for $44,575. They told me their rock bottom price was $30,686 and that includes prep, doc fees, etc. I thought that was a decent price although less would be better. We would certainly prefer new however the used TSBH I am looking at is a 2014, with a 5 year dumper to bumper ext. warranty for $23K. Private sale
Old 06-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2boxer View Post
Thanks so much for the reply. I loved your original post about caring less if the kids had more room, really made me laugh. I agree about the door to the outside for the bathroom, that is huge for me. My wife is concerned about the counter space in the bathroom on the 314BHDS although I know we could make it work. She is also concerned about kitchen counter space but that is an issue on both models. With the outdoor kitchen I think most cooking will be done outside.

The new 314BHDS I'm looking at retails for $44,575. They told me their rock bottom price was $30,686 and that includes prep, doc fees, etc. I thought that was a decent price although less would be better. We would certainly prefer new however the used TSBH I am looking at is a 2014, with a 5 year dumper to bumper ext. warranty for $23K. Private sale
No problem - glad you got a kick out of it. Honestly there is still a good amount of room in the back without the extra slide! We picked up one of those cutting boards that goes on top of the stove and sometimes use the sink inserts to increase the counter space - but you are right most of the cooking is done outside unless it is raining. For the bathroom we just put all of our stuff in a college shower tote and leave it in the tub - there is absolutely no counter space in there.

That's a good price on both units (really good on the used one with the 5 year warranty). We paid about the same for the new one maybe a couple hundred more as we custom ordered ours and opted for the bumper grill, bike rack/cargo tray, and the solid surface countertop. The grill sucks but the bike rack kicks ass.

Either way you will get a nice trailer and the first guy took the major depreciation hit on the TSBH. Let me know what you end up doing!
Old 06-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #8

Hey Steve,

I have no problems at all pulling with the Burb. Mine is also 8.1L w 4:10 rear end. It has the factory tow package with the largest tranny, tranny and oil coolers, and extendable mirrors.

I picked it up by trading my "10" Ram 2500 CTD for it because I needed to be able to carry more "peeps". With the grandkids along, I sometimes have 7 passengers, could only do 5 in the Ram. It is kind of unfair to compare the Ram with the CTD to the Burb, because the difference is night and day due to the torques of the diesel, and the "jake" brake. Once you get used to the different characteristics of gas vs diesel it is not bad at all.

I just got back from a trip into Georgia (about 900 miles round trip) and it handled very well. Just for giggles, I stopped and weighed it on the way up, all loaded for the week and a full load of passengers. (myself, DW, DD, 3 grandkids, and a "little dog too".

My weights were:
steer axle - 3580 rated - 4180
drive axle - 5360 rated - 5500
trailer axle - 8980
gross weight - 17,920

These are all within specs for the Burb - with 8.1L & 4:10 it is rated for 12,000 tow & 19,000 GCVRW

I didn't do the 3 weight thing because the truck stop was slammed & didn't want to annoy the truckers. That will be another time.

Still have to tweak the weight distribution just a little to transfer a little more from the back to the front I'm getting ready to replace all 4 shocks, and will probably put a set of Timbrens on the back, then dial in the Equal-I-zer a little bit more.

Your Burb will do just fine with either the TSBH, or the BHDS

Bill
2016 314 TSBH
2017 F250 XLT 4wd
Propride 3P
Old 06-10-2016, 06:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Can View Post
Hey Steve,

I have no problems at all pulling with the Burb. Mine is also 8.1L w 4:10 rear end. It has the factory tow package with the largest tranny, tranny and oil coolers, and extendable mirrors.

I picked it up by trading my "10" Ram 2500 CTD for it because I needed to be able to carry more "peeps". With the grandkids along, I sometimes have 7 passengers, could only do 5 in the Ram. It is kind of unfair to compare the Ram with the CTD to the Burb, because the difference is night and day due to the torques of the diesel, and the "jake" brake. Once you get used to the different characteristics of gas vs diesel it is not bad at all.

I just got back from a trip into Georgia (about 900 miles round trip) and it handled very well. Just for giggles, I stopped and weighed it on the way up, all loaded for the week and a full load of passengers. (myself, DW, DD, 3 grandkids, and a "little dog too".

My weights were:
steer axle - 3580 rated - 4180
drive axle - 5360 rated - 5500
trailer axle - 8980
gross weight - 17,920

These are all within specs for the Burb - with 8.1L & 4:10 it is rated for 12,000 tow & 19,000 GCVRW

I didn't do the 3 weight thing because the truck stop was slammed & didn't want to annoy the truckers. That will be another time.

Still have to tweak the weight distribution just a little to transfer a little more from the back to the front I'm getting ready to replace all 4 shocks, and will probably put a set of Timbrens on the back, then dial in the Equal-I-zer a little bit more.

Your Burb will do just fine with either the TSBH, or the BHDS
Thanks for all the info Bill. Glad to hear the Burb did well. I am buying an equalizer as well. Which one did you get, the 12K? I have switched it up a bit I am just about to order a 2017 Jayflight 32BHDS. The dealer had a slot open the end of June so I should have it beginning of July sometime. I got it loaded up with 15K A/C, Thermal package, Hide a bed, Aluminum rims, 50 Amp service with 2nd a/c prep, Fiberglass sidewalls (a must for me), 39" TV, Roof ladder, and kitchen skylight including prep, doc fee and shipping for $25. I thought that was a good deal. I really wanted the eagle but with 2 young kids saving the extra $6k over the new Eagle is important. The guy with the used TSBH has gone dark and haven't heard from him, it may have sold.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #10

I went all in & got the 14k. Didn't want to have to change again. Had the 10k before, sold it on craigslist
Old 06-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #11

RB,

Welcome and congrats on the 32 BHDS!!!

Go with the 14k Equal-I-Zer model. Or possibly the Reese Dual Cam or SC with the 1500lb wd bars. When I weighed our 32 (still need to reweigh) we had a 1400lb tw. Since then I have added shelves in the front and hall wardrobes, the vinyl fence post sleeve underneath near the front (have a 7' GPL folding ladder, sewer hose, and 4-6' pvc poles for a "tarp tent"), and the factory rear cargo hitch (added afterward) for the bikes (4).

Having the 8.1/4.10 combo I don't see why you would have any issues with the 32 BHDS. Just let the motor rev if/when needed.

Check your factory hitch on the Burb. With a higher tw and a round tube receiver hitch, you may want to consider replacing the factory hitch with a nice square tube model. Round tube hitches can "wind up" or twist when latching the wd bars up, especially with a higher tw. There are also reports of the factory round tube model failing where the receiver tube is welded to the cross tube.

Plan on readjusting the wdh once you get the 32 home and all loaded up. The dealer is only adjusting the wdh for an empty trailer.

Good luck!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote