Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #1

Eagle Front Cap

We purchased a used 2014 Jayco Eagle 314bhds this year from our local Jayco dealer and the top of the brown front cap is faded very badly. I have done a ton of reading on this and am aware this was a very common issue and that the first owner could have addressed this under warranty in the first two years but that time has passed.

It seems that some people have had some success "buffing" the area while others have gone the route of repainting and paying the costs out of pocket. To go along with the terrible fading, our unit has now developed a crack in the top corner of the cap near the running light so this is now more of an issue.

I have found that a couple others have experienced cracking near the top running light but am wondering if this is due to the paint/clear coat wearing off and the fiberglass becoming more brittle?

I have also noticed a couple more cracks near the led front cap lights down toward the bottom, but I believe these are referred to as clear coat cracks.

So, I am wondering if anyone has experienced this same scenario and if so what advice you might have?

Thank you,
Shawn
Old 10-27-2018, 04:43 AM   #2

I have a 2015 314bhds and had my cap repainted under warranty,the body shop didnt get the color matched 100% but it came out 10x better then the factory paint job.

2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 314BHDS

IBEW local 94 Electrical Worker
314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:34 AM   #3

There really isn't any paint on the cap, it was a brown gel coat and manufactured by a third party for numerous RV brands and they all experienced the failure. Since you lost the UV protection it could very well be why your seeing the cap deteriorate. If you've ever done body work there are numerous marine products available to stabilize the cracking.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #4

I had the same issue with mine. No amount of buffing or waxing will change it once the gelcoat starts to chalk. I also have some cracking around the clearance lights where they are molded into the cap.

I looked into doing a vinyl wrap but the quote I got was ridiculous.

I ended up removing all the graphics in the center, wet sanding the upper portion down to where it starts to curve under and then I cleared it using the DupliColor clear and went heavier around the lights to hopefully seal the cracks. I masked it with plastic sheeting and sprayed it outside. I wet sanded it and buffed it when I was done. I'll see how it lasts with the sun in the SW. Cost me about 75$ in materials.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:21 PM   #5

I know the is an old post, but I have a 2013 Eagle and the front cap was so faded and oxidized you could hardly tell it was brown. I’ve tried wet sanding and waxing and nothing made any difference, I was embarrassed it was so bad. I ordered the Poly Glow delux kit and my wife and I used it the past 2 days. It was some work but I am totally amazed with how well it turned out, it really almost looks brand new. They claim it will last 5-6 years with annual maintenance.
Bobstekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:33 AM   #6
Site Team

Thanks, As Grumpy mentioned, this was a big problem years back. Many were handled under warranty.

What you did IMO would be a lot better than the hassle of getting it painted.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:10 AM   #7

The front cap on my 2018 Eagle, which I bought new, is starting to look dull. The fact that my parking spot at home faces directly South doesn’t help. I’m going to try some automotive products that I have and a buffing machine. It’s a hard area to reach. It seems to be a common problem from the fifth wheels I’ve seen. Some brands, and models do look better then others. I don’t know why any company would put their NAME in big bold letters on something that looks sub par.
Skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:45 AM   #8

I tried wet sanding, buffing, paste wax and it would look ok for a very short time. My front faces the sun in the drive all the time. I really was amazed on how good it looks now. I was thinking about getting it painted. I would have painted it my self as I have everything except an inside location where I could do the work. Even then paint and primer is pretty expensive. I've seen several reviews for Poly Glow on different forums but was hesitant to spend another $100 when nothing in the past has worked.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:40 PM   #9

Waxing or buffing a car is hard enough. I’m trying to think of an easier way to access the top of the cap than a ladder. Access from the top is impossible. Maybe I’ll try lowering the landing gear all the way, and standing on on a milk crate on truck’s tailgate. I may reconsider the milk crate part.
Old 03-17-2023, 02:43 PM   #10

I used an extension ladder and wrapped a couple of towels around the ladder where it rested against the trailer. It’s not easy no matter how you look at it
Old 03-17-2023, 02:57 PM   #11

Someone mentioned marine products. I'm going to order some “Starbrite fiberglass color restorer with PTEF”, sounds promising. I’ve used some of their products in the past with good results.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:44 AM   #12

I think have an easier way than a ladder. I have a set of 12” ramps in my shed. Backing on the ramps, will get my trucks tailgate at about 4’. I’m about 6’, if lower the landing gear all the way it should be within my reach. I’ll keep a milk crate nearby if needed.
Old 03-22-2023, 12:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobstekeur View Post
I know the is an old post, but I have a 2013 Eagle and the front cap was so faded and oxidized you could hardly tell it was brown. I’ve tried wet sanding and waxing and nothing made any difference, I was embarrassed it was so bad. I ordered the Poly Glow delux kit and my wife and I used it the past 2 days. It was some work but I am totally amazed with how well it turned out, it really almost looks brand new. They claim it will last 5-6 years with annual maintenance.
Hi , I read that you tried the Poly Glow to fix your faded cap. Did it work? If so could you tell me your process please.
Thank you,
Tracy
hinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 03:05 PM   #14

Try this search… “Poli-Glow application YouTube”
Old 03-22-2023, 05:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinch View Post
Hi , I read that you tried the Poly Glow to fix your faded cap. Did it work? If so could you tell me your process please.
Thank you,
Tracy
It worked great and I’m in no way affiliated with polyglow. I got the deluxe kit it came with everything you need. They say it should cover a 25’ trailer, I kind of doubt the would have been enough for the whole trailer but I had about half a bottle of the poly glow left after finishing the cap. There’s a prep and a brush to remove old wax, stains and oxidation and a poly ox for heavy oxidation. Then you put on several coats or poly glow with the supplied mit. I put on 6 coats, I might put on one more. The front cap looked like crap and I tried several wax’s first with no luck. The big Eagle decal looks a little warn but nothing was going to bring that back 100% although it does look much better.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:47 AM   #16

Thank you for your information. I did watch some you tube videos. I wondered if you sanded it down before you put it on. I have a 2015 Eagle Premier 361 REQS and the sides are also powdery so I may try it all over. I just wanted to prep the cap the best I could. It’s just that darn clear coat that went bad.
Old 03-23-2023, 10:48 AM   #17

Any tips for getting up to work on the cap besides scaffolding?
Old 03-23-2023, 11:53 AM   #18

If no ladder…. Lower the front as far down as you feel comfortable and back the truck up to it.

Ladder…. Same as above but be careful not whack the ladder on it. I put my ladder beside it vs up against the cap.

You can lower the front all the way down in most cases. Just make sure you’re plugged into something to raise it. I’d imagine it’s a strain on the batteries or battery alone.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote