Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2021, 11:04 PM   #1

Eagle HT 284BHOK questions

My family and I are looking at trading up to a Jayco unit. This one and the Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS 5th wheel are on our short list. I’ll be honest, I’m leaning towards the TT because I like my open truck bed for hauling my MX bike while pulling camper and hauling other stuff. Reading the threads with the frame issues on the 5th wheel size is very disheartening. I can’t believe frames are cracking on 2 year old units, gooseneck molding sagging from screws pulling out and fiberglass cracking by bedroom slideout.

I’ve done some research her on the Eagle HT TT and I see the issue with the terrible plastic check valve on the water heater causing issues. I’ve also read about a frame cross member behind the a-frame bowing. Sounds like brand new ones are coming reinforced and earlier ones are being repaired under a service bulletin? Am I missing anything else? I gravitated towards this line of TT because they are significantly heavier than our current ultra lite of comparable length so I’m hoping the Jayco is more robustly built.

Are there any major issues I should be aware of before we look at buying one of these TT?

Thanks
Loomis077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 02:50 AM   #2

Another question I have is I see there is 1 black tank and 2 gray water tanks. How many wastewater drains are there total to empty the holding tanks? Are they all plumbed to 1 drain?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2021, 07:17 AM   #3

(for the TT) Yes, they are plumbed to one drain.
gdumas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:59 AM   #4

Don't think these are major issues, but this is what we have ran into in the last couple of months of ownership. We've had our 2021 284HBOK since Nov 2020 and have had only several issues. First, we have noticed the flooring squeaks a lot between the sofa and the TV area. Not sure if this is normal on a TT, as we are coming from a class A motorhome. Second, we also opted for the 12V fridge, this fridge just doesn't cool enough when it is full! Outside temps have been here in Florida between 75-80 and I normally keep the ambient temp inside the RV at around 73. We already had multiple things go bad on two different trips because of the horrible cooling. The last 4-day trip I monitored the fridge temp, and it would not go below 55. Third, the shower door frame was not aligned and the magnet on the shower door would not stay closed. Had to modify the spacing between the rv wall and shower door frame with multiple aluminum spacers in order to keep the door closed while showering. Lastly, cabinets over the top bunk were damaged. For the exception of the shower door frame, I plan on having all the other items looked at in the next couple of weeks since my closest dealer is 115 miles away. I know there are no perfect RVs out there, but I'm very satisfied with the built quality of this TT. I will keep this post updated with my repairs experience and Jayco's customer service. Hope this helps.
gdumas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #5

We purchased a 2021 284BOK in November last year. We have used it three times since then including a 3 night "boondocking" trip.

So far we are very happy with the unit. We have 2 young kids (2 years and 6 months) and the layout has worked perfectly. everything seems to be well built (for a travel trailer) I went with the travel trailer for the same reason as you. I put my dirt bike in the back of the truck and it worked out perfectly.

The issues I have had so far is a small leak coming from the hot water heater. and as of right now the cool orange LED lights on the front of the trailer are not working. I'm pretty sure its the switch causing the issue but I haven't had a chance to pull it off yet. All the tanks are dumped from one location. Its easy and works well. The valves for the water fill/city water/dry camp are a little confusing at first. But now that I'm used to them i like the set up.
Emichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:36 PM   #6

Thanks all for the help. I think we are very close to ordering this unit. We want the Modern Farmhouse decor, the standard tri-fold sofa, 12 volt refrigerator, slide topper, and I think we are going to pass on the LED fireplace. It looks like in pictures if you don’t get the fireplace that bottom section is a large cabinet about the size of the large cabinet above the TV. With 3 kids and a dog we need the sleeping space, clothes, and food storage.

I’m not sure what others are paying for theirs but I have been quoted at 43,200 otd tax, title, and plate with the refrigerator and slide topper being our only upgrade options over the standard unit.

Loomis
Old 02-20-2021, 10:43 PM   #7

We have used the fireplace alot. If you have hook ups or are running a generator it really heats up the unit and saves on the propane.

You could always just get a plug in space heater though
Emichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emichie View Post
We have used the fireplace alot. If you have hook ups or are running a generator it really heats up the unit and saves on the propane.

You could always just get a plug in space heater though
About the only cold weather camping we do is during our Halloween camping trip. The fireplace does look awesome I just don’t think we would use it much. Storage is always a premium for us!
Old 02-26-2021, 10:23 PM   #9

What size and brand WDH are you folks using with this trailer? I’ve got a Blue Ox Sway Pro on our current TT with the 1000# bars. Wondering if I just upgrade the bars to the 1500# if that is sufficient for this trailer?