Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #1

Eagle HT Nose Cap Fade

My new Eagle 2018 306RKDS had a small amount of fading on the front cap when I bought it. I clean it religiously with Wash Wax All, at-least once per month and before and after each trip.
I just got back from Calif and in cleaning it appears the fading is getting worse. Some of the bug stains would not come off and it has a dull look, like jell coat is failing no matter what I do. I understand the tan will never pop but I would like it to be shinny, not dull.
I am aware the AZ sun is brutal, which is way I clean and wax this often. I use the same product on my truck, it is outside as well, and it looks great. It is burgundy red which would be susceptible to fade.
I noticed in the campsite other trailer caps looked great, and their jell coat was gorgeous. This included Montana and other Jayco's like the Senaca ( I know this not a trailer), but same company doing paint/clear coat.
Do I need to do something different or is this a 2018 Eagle HT (light tan) issue
Could this be a warranty issue?

Any input is welcome
Chuck
78spster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:37 PM   #2

78spster- My 11 month old 2018 Eagle HT 26.5 RLDS is fading also. This is not an uncommon issue as many trailers have had this problem. If you do a SEARCH on this forum for front cap fade there are many responses. Here's what I have gleaned from them.

1. Prepare to send an email to service@Jayco.com to
document your issue.
2. Take plenty of pics to document the fading.
3. Provide your VIN.
4. In the email, explain how it is spreading and that the cap is oxidizing.
5. Give them a summary of your findings and disappointment.
6. Finally, ask them how they are going to resolve the issue.

Per others, it looks like the only way to fix this is to sand gel coat and paint off, down to the fiberglass, then start over. New paint, new gel coat, new decals.
I will be sending my email to them next week after I gather all the info.

Good luck to both of us.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #3

My 2017 is doing the same!! I’m curious as well to what others are doing to try and fix it?
Sean1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #4

That is why I had this built. My last trailer sat in this very spot uncovered for a year and it faded. Southern Az is brutal on trailers. When its 110 out your trailer is being damaged every day.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:40 AM   #5

That's a great looking set up. But here in Chandler my homeowners wont allow any thing like that. I have the trailer at my house on a RV pad so I can work on it any time I want. So maintenance is not a issue. My comment is car manufactures have perfected finishes so they don't fad if you care for them, even if they are kept outside. I would expect the same from Jayco finishes if they are maintained.
78spster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78spster View Post
That's a great looking set up. But here in Chandler my homeowners wont allow any thing like that. I have the trailer at my house on a RV pad so I can work on it any time I want. So maintenance is not a issue. My comment is car manufactures have perfected finishes so they don't fad if you care for them, even if they are kept outside. I would expect the same from Jayco finishes if they are maintained.
We also live in the UV-rich state of AZ and used to own a 2018 306RKDS like yours. Unless you're lucky enough to have the space and/or an HOA that allows a canopy like Scott_Trailer_Newbe, your only option is a cover. That was our solution. Total pain-in-the-butt to take a cover off/on a 35 ft. TT, but what can you do. Had the 306RKDS for a year and kept it covered when not in use. Even with it covered, we noticed the clear-coat still lost a bit of its luster during that year. It's a fact of life in AZ. One look at any RV storage facility in central/southern AZ paints an ugly picture regardless of make or model. If left uncovered in AZ, it only takes 2-3 years for that beautiful shine you admired when your TT was new . . . to turn into a faded memory
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #7

Its an issue with the front cap company. Contact Jayco and contact your dealer to get the ball rolling. It is a common thing in this model year. Had many front caps repainted and new decals installed.
JaycoChix89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
We also live in the UV-rich state of AZ and used to own a 2018 306RKDS like yours. Unless you're lucky enough to have the space and/or an HOA that allows a canopy like Scott_Trailer_Newbe, your only option is a cover. That was our solution. Total pain-in-the-butt to take a cover off/on a 35 ft. TT, but what can you do. Had the 306RKDS for a year and kept it covered when not in use. Even with it covered, we noticed the clear-coat still lost a bit of its luster during that year. It's a fact of life in AZ. One look at any RV storage facility in central/southern AZ paints an ugly picture regardless of make or model. If left uncovered in AZ, it only takes 2-3 years for that beautiful shine you admired when your TT was new . . . to turn into a faded memory
Absolutely a spot on statement. Arizona is a great state for camping, but the price is trailer deterioration from the sun.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78spster View Post
Cars don't have gelcoat, they're painted. Big difference. RV gelcoat is like most every other thing on an RV. Inferior. Boats don't fade nearly as fast because the gelcoat process is way better. Big question is why is this still happening?
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote