Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #1

EAGLE vs JAY FLIGHT bunkhouse

Good morning, friends -

New member and (soon-to-be) first-time RV owner. We are nearing the point of making a purchase decision and would like to seek some wise counsel from experienced Jayco owners!

We live in central Texas near Austin and would use the RV for cross-country vacation travel (e.g., Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP next summer) as well as possibly parking it for a few months out of the year on our deer leases here in Central and East Texas.

Our family of five (three kids ages 9, 12 and 14) is considering one of two possible 2015 Jayco bunkhouse travel trailer models:
(1) Eagle 314 BHDS
(2) Jay Flight 32 BHDS

I have received option/pricing sheet from our Central Texas RV dealer and have set up these two trailers with similar options (see detailed list below). We are waiting to hear back with their best price quote.

I would love to hear experiences from folks who have owned either of these models. What you liked, what you didn't like, what you would do differently if you had it all over to do again.

Also any advice on negotiating the best price (and what you paid for your TT if that's not too personal of a question to ask).

Additional information for storing and maintaining the RV will also be very much appreciated.

NOTE: I have some concerns about the wear-and-tear on the trailer paint/finish from sun and weather if stored uncovered outdoors. Also wonder how the weather/sun affects aluminum vs fiberglass (is one more durable or do they both require waxing, etc. to maintain their shine).

We've poured over hundreds of hours of RV videos and have visited lots of dealers and third-party sellers. Have also purchased the two books: "The RVer's Bible" and "The Complete RV Handbook" so we're trying to do our homework. We love the Jayco product and it's two-year warranty!

Looking forward to hearing from experienced users so we can learn even more and make the best decision for our family.

Eagle 314 BHDS
===================
~ Cust value pkg w/15K BTU A/C
~ Premier pkg (gel-coat sidewalls, remote, large bath power vent, raised panel cabinets)
~ Trundle bed
~ Solid surface kitchen countertops
~ Hide-a-bed
~ Technology pkg (40" LED HDTV)
~ 2nd AC in bedroom
~ 50 amp service w/2nd A/C prep
~ Elec tongue jack
~ Bike rack
~ Bumper mount grill
~ Roof ladder
~ Thermal pane tinted safety glass >> QUESTION: Any thoughts/experiences for this option? I've heard they fog up (get cloudy) after a couple of years.

Jay Flight 32 BHDS
===================
~ Cust value pkg w/15K BTU A/C
~ Elite pkg with hide-a-bed
~ Technology pkg (40" LED HDTV)
~ 2nd AC in bedroom
~ 50 amp w/2nd A/C prep
~ Thermal pkg
~ Cargo accessory receiver
~ Aluminum rims
~ Bumper mount grill
~ Roof ladder
~ QUESTION: Does this model have a curved or flat roof? I think curved is important for shedding water.

Finally, please feel free to recommend any other options or tips we may not be thinking of that you think would add enjoyment to our family's camping experience.

Many thanks in advance!

Dave & Tracy Smith
dsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

I'm sure members with those particular models and/or floor plans will chime in with some feedback based on your comments.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the group!
I can only speak for the 32bhds as we just bought a 2014 early this spring. We are a family of 4 mom dad and two daughters ages 11 and 16. This TT fits our needs perfect. We have pulled it about 5k miles this summer alone. It does have a curved roof. I have heard others say that the metal sided trailers look like they warp in the sun. I have never had this issue. It is allot more time consuming to wax v/s the smooth sided trailers. We have been very happy with this TT.
As i am sure others will ask what do you plan to tow with. I would recommend at least a 3/4 ton for either of the TT you are looking at.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:23 AM   #4

Hi, Dusty. Thanks for the testimonial.

We will be pulling with my 1999 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 (SRW) Lariat Crew Cab. Wife's vehicle is 2005 Chevy Suburban 1500.

We were originally looking at lighter trailers so we could use either vehicle but with two teen girls we felt we needed the separate bunkroom so they could keep to themselves when necessary (if you know what I mean and I think you do!).

God bless all the parents of teens out there (especially teen GIRLS!).
Autometer Gauges (EGT, Trans & Water temp, Boost)
K&N Cold Air Intake;
MBRP 4" Turbo Back Exhaust
Curt Class IV Receiver Hitch
Prodigy P3 Brake Controller; ProPride 3P Hitch 1400#
Old 09-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Site Team

That 7.3 is a BEAST you wont have any problem there. And yea teenage girls what can you say sometimes they still act like daddy's little princes and other times they think that they are all grown up and don't need your rules anymore. Still there allot of fun.

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
WVDusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #6

I just went through this earlier this year. I wanted the Eagle with the fiberglass sides. I really think it looks better than the Jay Flight. My problem was the 2013 model was $32k out the door and the 2014 Jay Flight that I purchased was $27100 out the door (same models you are looking at). I am glad that I went with the aluminum sides as I live in AZ. There are quite a few fiberglass trailers in my storage location with faded/dull/yellow sides. I sold my class C before I bought my trailer and it too had faded/dull/yellow fiberglass - pretty standard for anything in AZ. You can correct for this, but I keep mine in a storage lot and it would have been a little bit more of a pain.

I just looked - the only option I was not getting or did not get was the 50amp service and the rear bumper mount grill. I thought about the 50amp service and a second AC unit, but I am not living in it and we usually leave AZ for our trips - to get out of the heat. My 15k btu AC is plenty good in AZ - my trailer insulation might be better than my house .

As a little advice, if you can wait until winter/early spring, the prices will come down. If you can travel, look outside of your state for better deals. I got my trailer for literally $7k less in California than in Arizona. It was worth the drive.

Lastly, yes, the roof is curved.

2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32 BHDS
2015 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4
nunyadamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #7

In 2010 I paid $21,350.00 for my 32BHDS from RVDirect. The only option I did not order was the BBQ, keep in mind back then the 2nd AC, 50Amp service, outside kitchen and the bumper mount BBQ were not offered. You will definitely need the 15K AC, the cargo tray is great we carry 3 bikes on it, the hide a bed is very comfortable, but we had to replace air mattress this year.
We routinely camp with at least 6 but many times with 8 and find the TT is large enough to as not get in each others way when we all need to be inside.
I wish there was more room at the foot of the queen bed. We love the J-Cube option.
I wanted to get the Eagle but the price increase and weight increase over the Jay Flight was too much.
You will not be happy towing with the Suburban if you need to.
We have camped from Maine to Disney in this TT and have no regrets,
Good luck with your purchase you will be happy with either TT.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #8

Thanks for all the excellent feedback. Really appreciate hearing everyone's unique experiences with these particular trailers.

Sounds like most folks who have chimed in have gone with the Jay Flight 32 BHDS over the Eagle 314 BHDS. And it sounds like cost and weight were important factors in that.

Are there Eagle 314 BHDS owners out there who can share your experiences?

For owners of either the Eagle or Jay Flight (regardless of floor plan), here are some additional questions we have about fiber-glass vs. aluminum...

QUESTIONS:

(1) What maintenance do folks perform (and how often and what products used) on their RV exteriors for aluminum-sided (Jay Flight) and fiber-glass gel-coated (Eagle) trailers to keep the finish and paint looking new?

(2) Is it possible to prevent fiber-glass gel-coated RVs from getting dull and fading (e.g., covered storage, waxing, etc.) or is it just eventually inevitable? Does aluminum exterior suffer similar degradation issues?

(3) The Thermal Package (available in Jay Flight) includes: insulated, heated and enclosed underbelly; also foil insulation in roof and slideout floors. Is this effective at keeping the trailer cooler during summer camping?

(4) Are there advantages in insulating capability with fiber-glass trailers vs the aluminum? Any other benefits or disadvantages of one type of exterior over the other type?

(5) Does the dual A/C allow comfortable camping in these bunkhouse models during hot Texas summers (100+ degrees)?

(6) Is air circulation a problem at all in the bunkhouse models? Do folks suggest using fans to help circulate air or is just not necessary? I had heard that the bunkhouse can get stuffy and hot (but maybe that was with a single A/C unit).

(7) What are opinions on the thermal-pane tinted windows? I have read that they tend to get foggy/cloudy after a couple of years. Are they important for keeping trailer better insulated?

(8) Does anyone know how to get wholesale pricing for new trailers? I've read that RVs-R-Us (www.rvs-r-us.com) charges a nominal fee to evaluate a new RV (Kelly and NADA provide values only for used RVs). Has anyone used this service?

(9) Any other tips for negotiating the best price (besides buying during non-peak season, out-of-state or factory-direct -- which have been mentioned)?

BOTTOM LINE: These two models have the same floor plan and options (based on what we selected above). So I think the choice comes down to choosing based on the best exterior (fiber-glass vs. aluminum). Understanding the pluses and minuses of both exteriors will be very helpful.

Many thanks!
Dave
K&N Cold Air Intake;
Old 09-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #9

Those are the same choices we narrowed it down to. The Eagle had more headroom with the taller ceiling and curved roof. The fridge was also bigger.We love ours and the J-cubes are great. We paid just over $24k for our 13 314BDS. And some banks during RV shows offer lower interest rates.
Merrellroofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrellroofing View Post
Those are the same choices we narrowed it down to. The Eagle had more headroom with the taller ceiling and curved roof. The fridge was also bigger.We love ours and the J-cubes are great. We paid just over $24k for our 13 314BDS. And some banks during RV shows offer lower interest rates.
That's right...I had forgotten the higher ceiling and larger fridge in the Eagle. That sounds like a very good price you got. What month did you purchase? Also, how many and what age are your kiddos? We have older girls so I think we may have outgrown the J-cubes (but I like them a lot).

How is your gel-coat finish looking? What maintenance do you do for it?
K&N Cold Air Intake;
Old 09-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #11

Don't count out the J-cube - when it folds flat on the floor, it makes into a queen size bed. My oldest daughter (11) sleeps on that.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:52 AM   #12

We bought ours in feb-march around show time to get the lower rate. My girls are 3-5-8. I recommend J-cubes. Then you have the two upper beds and can make the whole floor a bed for when they have friends or other adults with you.

We did not order ours, it was on the lot. It only has 1 a/c unit. I would guess if you order it you will pay more. If it is on the lot, they want to move it. It's hard to say what is the best time. If a salesman is selling a lot on the warm months he may not be looking for that big payday. In the winter months, they may try to hit you hard because they are not selling many. But, if he is hungry, you may get a better deal. My neighbor was my salesman so he showed me his work computer with all of THEIR prices. Big difference from our prices. It saves $ to have connections. He no longer works their so I'm glad I got it when I did.

Ours looks good still and we haven't even washed it in 1 1/2 years. But, we are in Michigan, we don't get that baking sun. I think we hit 90* 1 time all summer.
Merrellroofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #13

Go to RVDirect website and build the TT the way you want it and then request a quote. Best way to get the best price.
I have the enclosed underbelly and have camped with 21" of snow on the ground and the TT kept up warm.
I camped in Disney in July 2010 for 11 days. The temps were very high, our single 15K AC kept the TT nice and cold.
My bunkhouse has a ceiling vent , there is also one in the bathroom with a fan and one in the front bedroom. Never felt stuffy inside. I do have Maxxair covers on them and leave them open all the time.
For hot weather camping we placed black construction paper over the window in the door and my wife sewed heavy curtains that we placed inside the window valances to keep the heat/light out.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #14

Joe, that sounds like excellent A/C performance. And good ideas on the curtains and stuff to keep out the sun.

Is there a downside to not purchasing the RV from a local dealer and going the RVDirect route? What about service after the sale?
K&N Cold Air Intake;
Old 09-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #15

I can tell you that I have been having great service at my local dealer after purchasing out of state. Any dealer or service center that treats you differently is not a good dealer to start with. You are there to get a service - case closed. If they think by treating you as a second class owner that you will purchase a new anything next time, they are wrong and are only hurting future business and current reputation. I hear this happens from time to time, but it is just not right.

Someone (maybe on this site) said they go to the local service center and hang out to see how others are treated, and also talk to owners. I think that is the best way of seeing how a dealer really is going to be. I suggest doing that if possible.

Moral of this post - you should have no issues with buying one place and getting service somewhere else, but you can never really tell.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith3 View Post
Joe, that sounds like excellent A/C performance. And good ideas on the curtains and stuff to keep out the sun.

Is there a downside to not purchasing the RV from a local dealer and going the RVDirect route? What about service after the sale?
I was fortunate to find an independant mobile RV repair facility.
Some people will tell you the loal RV center gives preference to the ones who bought from them, but what happens if you buy locally and the dealer closes up shop? or if you decide to move to another state? Then buying locally does not have any benefits.
In my case I was able to save over $4,000.00 from the "best" price I received from my local dealer.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:20 AM   #17

7.3 mods

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	15226Just courios if you have any mods on your 7.3? I have the same truck and put exhaust, intake, ts6 chip and gauges. WOW what a differance! Better MPG and HP.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polk View Post
Attachment 15226Just courios if you have any mods on your 7.3? I have the same truck and put exhaust, intake, ts6 chip and gauges. WOW what a differance! Better MPG and HP.
I do not have any mods on my 7.3 PSD (but it has been on my list of things to research before we get our trailer). Can you send me a private message with your email? I would be very interested in the details. Thanks! -Dave
K&N Cold Air Intake;
Old 09-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #19

I assume your shopping at Crestview. In your price range you should be able to get at least 35 percent off window MSRP. I received almost 40 percent off on mine. You can camp all year in Texas. No reason to wait. Inks lake always great in off months. Lake Georgetown nice as well. Thanksgiving at Big Bend or Port A great. I would recommend Eagle over Jayflight. If your financing it's only a few extra dollars a month and you get it back on resale. Fiberglass much easier to keep clean. Curved roofs much less problems than flat.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:26 AM   #20

I just purchased a 2015 Eagle 284BHBE. I went online to RV Direct and built a trailer that would fit our needs. When I received the quote via email, I went to a Jayco dealer and we talked. Bottom line is the dealer matched the RV Direct price right to the penny.

If you can afford the extra $ and weight of an Eagle, I'd go with a Eagle.

2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE
2009 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 256RKS
2007 Jayflight 20BH
1997 Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP
1984 Rockwood 1080 - PUP 1969 Coleman PUP
gcloss is offline   Reply With Quote