Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2021, 05:56 AM   #1

Easiest way to wax aluminum trailer

I want to detail my trailer. I've had it over 6 months and havent washed it. Starting to get black steaks on the side. Send me some tips! I'm all ears..Is there an easy way to wax this thing? Is there a wax that's very easy to apply and wipe off? Seems like it's going to be a real pain since it's not a flat surface and 23 feet long
Jayco2015JayFLIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:08 AM   #2

I use LA's Totally Awesome from the dollar store diluted for black streaks.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:24 AM   #3

Rejex liquid paste was recommended to me, and I applied it after giving our Jayflight a good wash to remove stains and dirt. It's easy to apply: use a round foam applicator pad, do a section at a time, and allow it to dry to a haze (15 to 30 mins or so.) The haze wipes right off without buffing. A 16 oz bottle is more than enough to do our SLX287. Cautions: 1. Avoid doing it in direct sunlight -- shade is your friend. 2. Don't apply if there's a chance of precipitation over next 24 hrs. 3. Don't apply to things like the plastic wheel fenders and the like, but otherwise is great for the aluminum, fiberglass, even glass, according to instructions. I highly recommend it -- you can find it on Amazon.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:21 AM   #4

I hate waxing! I tend to bucket/brush wash out TT a few times a year. Until a year ago, I used McGuire's wash and wax. Not the greatest wax, but it works for a month or so.

About 1.5 years ago I tried McGuire's Paint Perfect. It is a water like liquid. Suppose to use a small amount with a power polisher. I did it by hand. Worked good, but applied to much. Next day, the TT, was covered in pollen. Hosed (plain water) the camper down. No issues after that. It still beads up nicely 1.5 later. I'm going to do it again sometime this summer.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #5

Meguires cleaner wax. Did both our Bungalow and 33rlds 2 times a year. Works good on decals also
2018 Jayco Jayfeather 27 RL, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2020 Buick Encore Hers, Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:30 PM   #6

I use Meguiar’s Deep Crystal car wash with a soft pole brush or soft rag for black streaks. For waxing, it’s Meguiar’s RV/Marine Cleaner Wax 50. It’s as easy as any wax to put on. It lasts a full season and even makes it easy to wash the bugs off. Like Parcany said, I wax right over the decals and they look brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
41D0A9C3-AB0C-49D7-AC65-3022892674AB.jpg   48BAE95E-5B91-4A26-9887-EB1CF0BCDD10.jpg   35B37184-CE52-455A-A0AA-E1D35690F4CE.jpg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
I use LA's Totally Awesome from the dollar store diluted for black streaks.
You weren't lying. Washed the other day and scrubbed but black wouldnt come off. Got some LA and it took all of it right off pretty easily. Now it's going to need a good wax. It will defiantely strip off all your wax.
Attached Thumbnails
20210721_100720.jpg   20210721_100226.jpg  
Old 07-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I use Meguiar’s Deep Crystal car wash with a soft pole brush or soft rag for black streaks. For waxing, it’s Meguiar’s RV/Marine Cleaner Wax 50. It’s as easy as any wax to put on. It lasts a full season and even makes it easy to wash the bugs off. Like Parcany said, I wax right over the decals and they look brand new.
Looking good!
Old 07-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #9

Non chemical solution, that even removes tar dots from the surface.....Mr. Clean Majic Sponges. Found this out quite a few years ago when I ended up on a recently oiled road. I don't use any chemical cleaners on the finishes any more other than the occasional marine soap cleaner shot through a soap cannon and a soft brush on a long pole. Quick rinse with the pressure washer and on to the next thing.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #10

I think i found the wax/protective coating I'm going to use. Remeber i wanted something easy to wipe on and off without having to buff. It's a big job compared to a car lol. I came across this video on you tube and the stuff looks pretty amazing with little effort. It's a spray. Bottle claims 12 months protection and can be applied to plastic and glass too. Can be applied in direct sunlight.
Turtle-Wax-Hybrid-Solutions-Ceramic-Spray-Wax-Coating

Watch this video if your interested. Pretty interesting, he compares like 12 different waxes and test them against repel water and against wax remover. And the hybrid took the cake. Repealed water better than the others and stood up to the wax remover. Afterwards was still repelling water well.
https://youtu.be/uYxKQwZah1s
Old 07-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #11

You will still get black streaks.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:53 PM   #12

Turtle wax ceramics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
I think i found the wax/protective coating I'm going to use. Remeber i wanted something easy to wipe on and off without having to buff. It's a big job compared to a car lol. I came across this video on you tube and the stuff looks pretty amazing with little effort. It's a spray. Bottle claims 12 months protection and can be applied to plastic and glass too. Can be applied in direct sunlight.
Turtle-Wax-Hybrid-Solutions-Ceramic-Spray-Wax-Coating

Watch this video if your interested. Pretty interesting, he compares like 12 different waxes and test them against repel water and against wax remover. And the hybrid took the cake. Repealed water better than the others and stood up to the wax remover. Afterwards was still repelling water well.
https://youtu.be/uYxKQwZah1s

X2 on the Turtle wax ceramics!
I like this stuff, wash and spray/wipe EVERYTHING, tires, windows, trim, glass, plastics 2 times a year. I don't buff it off cause I'm too lazy. It does leave light streaks most noticeable on glass by not buffing, but it will buff streak free if desired. Beads like crazy, bugs are easier to remove. Unfortunately it doesn't stop black streaks, they still happen with it.

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Wax Coating
Average Rating:
out 4.5 of 5 stars171 ratings, based on171reviews
Turtle Wax
Walmart # 578031013
$14.97

The wet wax seems to work well also, actually it's my favorite as you can apply to damp surfaces. I use a sponge mop, one bottle will do my 36' 5er over 2 times.-

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wet Wax
Average Rating:
4.7 out of 5 stars192 ratings, based on192reviews
Turtle Wax
Walmart # 578031032
$12.97
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
X2 on the Turtle wax ceramics!
I like this stuff, wash and spray/wipe EVERYTHING, tires, windows, trim, glass, plastics 2 times a year. I don't buff it off cause I'm too lazy. It does leave light streaks most noticeable on glass by not buffing, but it will buff streak free if desired. Beads like crazy, bugs are easier to remove. Unfortunately it doesn't stop black streaks, they still happen with it.

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Wax Coating
Average Rating:
out 4.5 of 5 stars171 ratings, based on171reviews
Turtle Wax
Walmart # 578031013
$14.97

The wet wax seems to work well also, actually it's my favorite as you can apply to damp surfaces. I use a sponge mop, one bottle will do my 36' 5er over 2 times.-

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Wet Wax
Average Rating:
4.7 out of 5 stars192 ratings, based on192reviews
Turtle Wax
Walmart # 578031032
$12.97
Good to hear! I already ordered. Sad it doesnt stop the black streaks tho lol. At least I know how to get rid of them easy now.
Old 07-21-2021, 06:32 PM   #14

The black streaks are simply dirt. If the trailer is well waxed, they will come off easy.

I spray "Boat Nine" on a sponge mop and tackle the big spots (not the whole trailer). Then I use Maguires Quik Wax on the whole trailer. Just wipe on and leave it. I do an entire 19' trailer in about 30 minutes with hardly any elbow grease.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:48 PM   #15

My Jayco 175RD is just 2 years old. I wash the rig every time I return from a trip. I use Gel-Gloss Wash and Wax. I think there are probably a number of similar and effective products. The wax it leaves on the surface seems adequate to provide protection against the elements (UV damage) and bugs come off pretty easily. When washing I start with the front end to dampen and loosen the bugs making sure it stays wet until I get back around to do the final wash.
I’m sure a quality waxing is superior but I think it is easier to spend 20 minutes for a frequent quick wash with a product containing a wax then trying to do a dedicated wax job.
rtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I as well have a 212 QB and I use Meguiar’s paste wax. It's still beading and shiny after 6 months. I purchased a Ryobi One 18V rotary power washer and use the soft bristle head to wash the trailer, works great and a real time saver. The medium bristle head work great for the roof.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtaylor View Post
My Jayco 175RD is just 2 years old. I wash the rig every time I return from a trip. I use Gel-Gloss Wash and Wax. I think there are probably a number of similar and effective products. The wax it leaves on the surface seems adequate to provide protection against the elements (UV damage) and bugs come off pretty easily. When washing I start with the front end to dampen and loosen the bugs making sure it stays wet until I get back around to do the final wash.
I’m sure a quality waxing is superior but I think it is easier to spend 20 minutes for a frequent quick wash with a product containing a wax then trying to do a dedicated wax job.
I hear ya. But I bought used so wasn't maintained. After I'm done gettin all the black streaks and waxing. I'll most likely just do a quality wash n wax every couple months to keep it maintained.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco2015JayFLIGHT View Post
I hear ya. But I bought used so wasn't maintained. After I'm done gettin all the black streaks and waxing. I'll most likely just do a quality wash n wax every couple months to keep it maintained.
Getting it back to good condition will take some work, but once there, you shouldn’t have to wax every two months. A good wax in the spring and mine stays shiny and washes easily all year long.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:29 PM   #19

I use and love Rejex, but I generally used a process on the RV Street YouTube channel https://youtu.be/ewXghIetIw4 which includes step-by-step instructions (and Rejex is rhe final step)
Michael G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:36 PM   #20
CAG

Rejex! What more aluminum can you get than aircraft and that is what is was designed for. Go to Rejex.com and look at the history.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote