Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2021, 02:00 PM   #1

Easy to use WD & away control hitch for older couple?

My parents purchased an new TT and I'm having difficulty finding a hitch that is easy for them to use. Their TT is 24 feet long, tandem axle, 400 lb tongue weight. Tow vehicle is a 2014 Silverado 1500, long bed single cab 4.5L V6. Their current hitch is a Husky Centerline TS, but it's heavy and the bars are very difficult for my 71 yr old dad to install if everything is not lined up just right. Dad is out of shape and has limited mobility, which obviously doesn't help. It works as intended, but hitching up is a pain in the ass if truck and trailer are not perfectly lined up and on the same plane. Even I, a strapping young buck hate the thing.
So, does anyone have experience with a hitch system that is easy to install for an older couple? I know Anderson makes one with no bars, but I'm not sure if I'd trust dad to get the chain tension right.
Thanks
GraphiteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:05 PM   #2
Site Team

We don't have the Anderson, but many, many members do, and are extremely happy with them. Ours is an Equalizer, and the hitch head is indeed heavy. I have a Hitchgrip to put it on and off the truck.

Hang out, and you'll get the answer to how to set it up.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:44 PM   #3

Havyou looked at Fastway 10K RB Fastway e2 2-point Sway Control its supposed to be one of the lightest weight setups but no personal experience with it I'm looking to get anderson to I have and old curt it works well but super heavy and definitely a pain constantly taking it on and off and idk what your budget is but there's pro pride but that's way to much for me especially how much I use my camper
Rdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:12 PM   #4

X2 on the Andersen. Most of the work is done by the hitch jack. But if you do have to adjust them manually then a simple ratchet wrench will do it. I added one from Harbor Freight that extends when needed. 1/2 inch extendable ratchet, $19.99 full price, get a 20% coupon. Works well but if you need it there is an extra few inches of leverage.

The Andersen has no heavy bars to lift and move. The head is the only heavy part and once in place you don't have to do anything. Plus worry free sway prevention and less weight to add to the tongue.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:24 PM   #5

We are 75 and adjusting the Andersen requires little physical effort. There are You Tube videos on getting it right. Usually its one and done unless you start adding or changing load location. I think your estimate of tongue weight is off. Its more like 600 for our 212 qb and was 480 for our old 195 , both shorter than your dad's unit. So make sure you pick the right Andersen WDH.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:27 PM   #6

Kim Gass pretty much said what I was thinking. The 400# might have come from the trailer's specs. Those numbers are never real world. Maybe you could take him to a CAT scales or equivalent. I sympathize. 78, bum leg. A bit of a struggle with my Equalizer. The shanks are all pretty heavy. Have no information on Anderson's shanks.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Kim Gass pretty much said what I was thinking. The 400# might have come from the trailer's specs. Those numbers are never real world. Maybe you could take him to a CAT scales or equivalent. I sympathize. 78, bum leg. A bit of a struggle with my Equalizer. The shanks are all pretty heavy. Have no information on Anderson's shanks.
Andersen shanks are extremely light and easy to handle. The entire unit, shank, ball, chains, triangle plate, etc. are 50 lbs and change.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:29 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for that info. I read about the Fastway elsewhere on the forum. Could be a possibility, and I think I'll give the Anderson another look. Does anyone know if chains on the Anderson need to be removed when backing into a spot? On their Centerline hitch, one of the WD bars slid out of the carrying bracket on the A frame while he was maneuvering backwards into a spot.
GraphiteDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #9

I had the original Andersen WD hitch on my first rig... chains remained in place until the camper was ready to be totally disconnected.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #10

No the chains do not need to be removed on the anderson when backing up just park it where you need to and your all set
Rdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #11

I leave the chains connected, even when over-nighting at Cabellas. Never had a backing up problem. The only time I take the chains off is for the winter storage.
One thing, you will love Andersen customer service if you need it. They will walk you through installation and adjustments. I managed to brake the leveler while camping in Niagara falls area. They express shipped me one with only a picture to prove it was broken. Nice people!

By the way, I am 74 and very active but those bars scared me when I had to put them in place under load.

Old 07-22-2021, 11:01 AM   #12

Side note.. once the chains are set for tension, you don't adjust them anymore. You simply relax them by lifting the trailer tongue/tow vehicle with the camper jack, and then you can remove the lower chain mount from the hitch. You don't have to re-tension anything when hitching back up either, as you do things in the reverse order and when you take the weight off the camper tongue jack, this re-loads the chain tension. It's very easy.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdogg View Post
Havyou looked at Fastway 10K RB Fastway e2 2-point Sway Control its supposed to be one of the lightest weight setups but no personal experience with it I'm looking to get anderson to I have and old curt it works well but super heavy and definitely a pain constantly taking it on and off and idk what your budget is but there's pro pride but that's way to much for me especially how much I use my camper
+1 for the Fastway e2 trunnion style WDH.
https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-2-poi.../dp/B0071L3H2E

One can use the trailer's electric jack to lift the TV and trailer together so that the trunnion bars can be placed onto the L-brackets with zero resistance. Each trunnion bar weights about 10 pounds.
Click image for larger version

Name:	WDH.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	73893
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:45 PM   #14

Another vote here for the Equalizer. The Hitch Grip is a must have accessory but once the hitch head is installed on the truck it Cam stay there. Then the only thing left is the bars. They are a bit heavy but definitely manageable. In my opinion much easier to deal with than chains...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
+1 for the Fastway e2 trunnion style WDH.
https://www.amazon.com/Fastway-2-poi.../dp/B0071L3H2E

One can use the trailer's electric jack to lift the TV and trailer together so that the trunnion bars can be placed onto the L-brackets with zero resistance. Each trunnion bar weights about 10 pounds.
Attachment 73893
+2 for the Fastway E2 WDH. Here's a link to the setup that I use: https://www.etrailer.com/Weight_Dist...2-00-0600.html

I use the same method that Bob K uses, to hook up my WDH. The method works very well.

Be forewarned: if you end up ordering this system, it will ship in one box. Before you attempt lifting that box, you better eat your spinach and Wheaties. That box is very heavy.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #16

From what you describe, Andersen is the only way to go. The only real lifting is putting the hitch ball and stinger on and off the truck at the beginning and end of a trip, and it’s not terribly heavy. Or he can just leave it on the truck all the time. The Andersen would be a perfect match for that trailer.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #17

+1 for the Andersen. I'm younger but not in the best shape and I can carry the hitch head in one hand.

No tools are needed to hitch or unhitch. When unhitching, just use the jack to lift the tongue and rear of the truck enough to release tension and then pop off the collar that connects the chains to the hitch head. When hitching, it's the same thing but in reverse.

The only hassle for me has been making sure that the truck is lined up properly when hooking up again, otherwise the holes on the collar and hitch head won't be aligned, meaning the pin won't go back into the collar until you realign. Fortunately there are a few good tricks to help when that happens.

BTW when people say that bars are easier to deal with than chains, I think they're referring to the old chained setups where there are bars with chains on the end of them. With the Andersen there are no bars, and you don't really deal with the chains.. just the collar that connects them to the hitch head.
rewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #18

The hitch head is solid aluminum, no heavy steel or iron. Maybe 20 or 25 pounds, I can weigh it if you want. At 74 I can easily lift it with one hand.
If you are worried about hitching crooked. Simply loosen the chain nuts a few turns, hitch up and then pull the rv out till you are the same angle as when you parked. Then tighten to 6 or so turns based on your setup.
Get an extendable ratchet like the one from Harbor Freight, cost is $20 before coupons.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewen View Post
+1 for the Andersen. I'm younger but not in the best shape and I can carry the hitch head in one hand.

No tools are needed to hitch or unhitch. When unhitching, just use the jack to lift the tongue and rear of the truck enough to release tension and then pop off the collar that connects the chains to the hitch head. When hitching, it's the same thing but in reverse.

The only hassle for me has been making sure that the truck is lined up properly when hooking up again, otherwise the holes on the collar and hitch head won't be aligned, meaning the pin won't go back into the collar until you realign. Fortunately there are a few good tricks to help when that happens.

BTW when people say that bars are easier to deal with than chains, I think they're referring to the old chained setups where there are bars with chains on the end of them. With the Andersen there are no bars, and you don't really deal with the chains.. just the collar that connects them to the hitch head.
Exactly. Also, there is a good video on the Andersen site with an easy way to straighten the triangle plate without having to loosen the retaining nuts. https://help.andersenhitches.com/wei...late-quick-fix
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:36 AM   #20

I have the Fastway E2 setup & love how easy it is to use. Wife & I are in our 60's and have no troubles with the system. Just make sure you take the time to set it up properly with the trailer fully loaded like you would travel. Having all your gear in the trailer can make a big difference in your weight distribution setup and hitch heights.

One other note; I have a 2019 Chevrolet Suburban and because of the height & design of the factory receiver I had to purchase a different shank. I needed to drop the ball height an extra 2" plus it is 4 inches longer so I can open my liftgate while the trailer is attached.
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight distibution hitch

« No Hot water | AC »