Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #1

Electri stabilzer question

So I purchased a new eagle with electic stabilizer. I have not used the camper yet. However I noticed that the stabilzers go down at the same time from one button on each end of the trailer. So here is my question, Campground are not flat. So if one side is higher then the other do you have to block them up intill they are both even or how does it work. One will hit the ground first.Does anyone know how these work.
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #2

So, I see, I have allot of views, but no comments yet. I am trying to understand how they work, do you have to build up to the electric stabilizer jacks. What if one side is lower , the jacks come down together. Would it not put to much pressure on one and not the other. Have not tried them but been wondering how they work
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #3

I don't have electric stabilizers but if they are not on separate switches then like you said you would have to use blocks.
I don't know how i would like that. Kind of defeats the purpose.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

I have them on my Eagle 320. When one side contacts something, it stops and the other side keeps going until it contacts. Then I just hit the button a little more to stabilize the trailer. So in effect, one side could drop 2 inches, and the other side could drop 15 inches. I try and block them up because with any stabilizer, the less travel they have, the more stable they'll be. Also, get the between the wheel bal chock, the thing that keeps the wheels from moving and you're set. Don't forget to remove them though. lol!
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #5

X2. The stabs have to be designed this way, or you could conceivably tip the trailer on its side on extreme slopes. Also X2 on the BAL chocks. They don't take all the wiggle out, but you'll really notice a difference in stability.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #6

Thanks guys I got it now. I will look into the wheel chock thing. I was once told they put allot of stress on the axle set up. I was told this by a nice old timer at a campground in NC. Has anyone else ever heard this.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donedroolin View Post
Thanks guys I got it now. I will look into the wheel chock thing. I was once told they put allot of stress on the axle set up. I was told this by a nice old timer at a campground in NC. Has anyone else ever heard this.
Never heard that. I dont think you could put enough pressure on them to damage the axle or bearings or even the tires. Get em you will like the way it helps.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #8

You don't need to worry about stress on the axles from X chocks. You do not need to tighten them enough to actually move the axles. They just make the tires work with each other to eliminate back and forth rolling. I simply put them between the tires, tighten until contact is made with both tires, and then a couple more notches on the wrench and I'm done.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #9

SAFETY ALERT:
I almost learned the hard way up in Canada one day setting up. MY #1 RULE: after my trailer is level side to side the I ALWAYS put the chocks on both sides. And they are ALWAYS the last thing to come off. This prevents your trailer from rolling when you disconnect the hitch.
While in Canada a few years ago I almost had my trailer roll down a hill when I disconnected the hitch from my truck. Never again...

happy trails,
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote