Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #1

Electric

New owner. Bought a 2017 trailer a few months ago. It all seemed to work at the dealer. I drove it home and parked it.

A few days ago I headed out on a trip. Plugged into a 220 outlet. Couldn't start a/c or microwave. Battery doesn't hold a charge. Where do I start?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #2

Hi,
First thing I would do is to check if your unit is 220. Most trailers are 110. Get your manual out quickly or call the dealer.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #3

If you plugged into a 220 outlet, then you have possibly destroyed your microwave and air conditioners. Your plug should be 30a 120vac or 50a 120vac.
2010 Ram 3500 4x4 long bed crew cab
2003 Royal Star Venture 1300cc
MontyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #4

Hi Denny! Congratulations on your new purchase and welcome to the Jayco Forum. Could you provide what model trailer you have? Also, can you provide a little more information on the 220 outlet? Is the outlet designed and wired for RV use? Did the dealer install the battery? Was the battery left in the trailer for the few months without charging it? Thanks
Old 01-08-2018, 11:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
New owner. Bought a 2017 trailer a few months ago. It all seemed to work at the dealer. I drove it home and parked it.

A few days ago I headed out on a trip. Plugged into a 220 outlet. Couldn't start a/c or microwave. Battery doesn't hold a charge. Where do I start?

It would help to know what RV you have and what it's rating is IE 30 amp or 50 amp. A 30 amp system is 30 amps at 120 volts, a 50 Amp system is 2 50 amp 120 lines. The 50 amp system is wired similar to a 240 volt line, but the 30 amp is ONLY 120 volts. If you connected to a 240 volt line you will have caused major damage. It is why the receptacle is NOT the same as a 240 line, it may look similar but unless they wired an RV receptacle totally wrong, (didn't pay attention to markings on receptacle or read instructions) you should not be able to plug into a regular 30 amp 240 volt receptacle.

Good luck and if you give us a little more information we can assist you better.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #6

First congratulations on a new TT. As others said, you need to confirm your power requirements.

Does your TT require a 30 amp plug or a 50 amp plug? couple ways to tell; Look at the breaker panel and what does the main breaker say. Or look at the end of the plug you plug into the outlet. If it has three prongs, it is a 110 Volt 30 amp system. If it has 4 prongs, it is a 240 Volt 50 amp system.

If you added a dedicated outlet at home, make sure it is wired correctly. It is very common for an electrician to wire a 110V 30 amp outlet wrong. As many people think it should be a 240V system, like a cloths drier.

Another thing to check is the breakers. If you are at camp, is the breaker flipped on, at the house or at the power post in the campsite. I always turn them off before I plug in/out to ensure I get no surges as I connect. I often find them turned off, when I arrive to camp.

As for the battery, there are a number of parasite power draws on the battery. If you where not plugged in at home, nor disconnected the battery the parasite draws drained the battery dry within about two weeks. The battery maybe ok, or shot. No way to tell without putting it on a battery tester, many auto parts stores will check for free, but get a charge on it first.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
First congratulations on a new TT. As others said, you need to confirm your power requirements.

Does your TT require a 30 amp plug or a 50 amp plug? couple ways to tell; Look at the breaker panel and what does the main breaker say. Or look at the end of the plug you plug into the outlet. If it has three prongs, it is a 110 Volt 30 amp system. If it has 4 prongs, it is a 240 Volt 50 amp system.

If you added a dedicated outlet at home, make sure it is wired correctly. It is very common for an electrician to wire a 110V 30 amp outlet wrong. As many people think it should be a 240V system, like a cloths drier.

Another thing to check is the breakers. If you are at camp, is the breaker flipped on, at the house or at the power post in the campsite. I always turn them off before I plug in/out to ensure I get no surges as I connect. I often find them turned off, when I arrive to camp.

As for the battery, there are a number of parasite power draws on the battery. If you where not plugged in at home, nor disconnected the battery the parasite draws drained the battery dry within about two weeks. The battery maybe ok, or shot. No way to tell without putting it on a battery tester, many auto parts stores will check for free, but get a charge on it first.
Thanks for the help! I can't get to my trailer for a couple of weeks. I will start with a battery test (It's with me). When I get to the trailer, I'll check the circuit breaker and fuses. After that, who knows?
Trailer is a 2017 JAYCO Jayflight ALL, 19.5 RB.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #8

Quote:

You've gotten a lot of good advice on the 220 connection. But what about the battery? If the trailer has sat without AC power for anything more than a few days, odds are the battery has been drained flat by "parasitic" power devices in the trailer, like your entertainment center, your smoke and/or LP gas detector, and possibly some others.

A battery disconnect is a great idea. I don't have one, but whenever I park my trailer for anything other than overnight, I pull the inline fuse that's located right next to my battery.

As others have asked, what trailer model do you have?

Hope things get better for you!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #9

Quote:

Tested the battery. It's at 13.6 V but only has a 3% charge after 18 hrs on a trickle charger. I will try charging for a few days.

Old 01-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #10

If I remember correctly all plugs and outlets have configurations that prevent a user from connecting to the wrong voltage or amperage. I would assume the trailer plug could only be connected to the proper electrical connection for that unit. Most likely the outlet was dead or he has a tripped circuit breaker.
Redslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:34 PM   #11

Are you sure you plugged into 240v, not 120v
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redslider View Post
If I remember correctly all plugs and outlets have configurations that prevent a user from connecting to the wrong voltage or amperage. I would assume the trailer plug could only be connected to the proper electrical connection for that unit. Most likely the outlet was dead or he has a tripped circuit breaker.
You are correct IF everything is wired correctly. But it is not uncommon for the receptacle, which looks similar to a 240 3amp plug, to be wired incorrectly as a 240 volt circuit rather than a 120 circuit. When looking at the receptacle the bottom left slot is wired as hot, the bottom right as neutral and the top half round is the ground. Many unaware peeps will wire the bottom two slots as hot and the ground as the neutral, hence feeding the RV with power on the hot and neutral side, which will blow most electronic items on the circuit.

If you have a tester you can test your receptacle you plugged into and see if you have more than one hot leg, if so....well....

Good Luck
Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Tested the battery. It's at 13.6 V but only has a 3% charge after 18 hrs on a trickle charger. I will try charging for a few days.

Good input, thanks all.