Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #1

Electric brake adjustment

Hooked up the trailer and drove around the neighborhood readjusting the brake. Felt off when we towed home from dealer. I have a Tekonsha Voyager that came installed in my TV when I bought it. Followed the set up directions to a T, but I wasn't able to "lock up" the trailer. They definately grab, and I can adjust them. My question is, should I be able to "lock up" during the set up process? My other question is how aggressive do you set your brakes? I currently set mine slightly aggressive. (Yes I did a search first)
Old 06-07-2015, 07:49 AM   #2

I can't remember what manual I read this in. If it was for gm or for the ford I used to have. It said have vehicle and trailer load like you would for a trip. Drive to 20 mph and apply the electric brakes manually the way on. The trailer should bring everything to a stop with out locking up the brakes. If it locks the brakes up turn down the gain until it doesn't lock them up. Hopefully that helps you.
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #3

Yeah, that's what the instructions stated. The manual slide definately stops us. I just wasn't able to lock up during the inital set up.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #4

The owners manual for my TT stated to make about 30 normal stops with the trailer in tow in order to and burn off any crud that may be on the drums or shoes, and seat the brake shoes to the drum. I did this while towing the trailer from the dealers to home. Then adjust the trailer brakes at the axle per instructions. Once that is done you can fine tune the electronic controller. I did this and they work great. I'd think most break-ins would be about the same, but your owners manual may differ. Happy Camping.
Kansas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote