Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #1

Question Electric Stabilizer vs Auto Leveling

Ordering 33RBTS and would like auto leveling.
According to some the ES system really isn't what I want because there still is a lot of adjustment for uneven ground. So to have to still deal with "leveling" it might be better to just go to AL.
ES is a $500 option and I've seen deals of AL systems installed for $2,500 but of course going to order mine I'm being told at least 5k for HWH system.

Guess my questions are ES vs AL? Brands of AL to get? Anyone know if Jayco build would do AL as part of the order? If so how?
Live in NE and nearest RV place is Kingston Camping World.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
rv13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv13 View Post
Ordering 33RBTS and would like auto leveling.
According to some the ES system really isn't what I want because there still is a lot of adjustment for uneven ground. So to have to still deal with "leveling" it might be better to just go to AL.
ES is a $500 option and I've seen deals of AL systems installed for $2,500 but of course going to order mine I'm being told at least 5k for HWH system.

Guess my questions are ES vs AL? Brands of AL to get? Anyone know if Jayco build would do AL as part of the order? If so how?
Live in NE and nearest RV place is Kingston Camping World.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Jayco started offering an auto leveling system on their TT's for 2017 and on Jayco's website, auto leveling is an available option on the 33RBTS for $2241.00. Electric stabilizers are NOT meant to level the trailer, but rather help steady it and you would still need to manually level the trailer. So

As for which system? Getting it installed at the factory would most likely be less expensive than aftermarket. I am assuming the system Jayco is offering is the new Lippert Ground Control TT system but so far, all my inquiries about it have gone unanswered and I have not seen anything posted yet from someone that actually has it. Those that have a similar system on their 5er's say "when" it works, it's great but when it doesn't....................
Old 12-10-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

I have the LCI Ground Control 2.0 on my fiver. The site needs to be fairly level for the system to work as advertised. The first site on my winter stay here in TX wasn't very level and I had to use blocks under the front legs to get enough stroke to get the auto-level to level successfully. It was just about as much work as a manual process. On the second site all I did was to put blocks under the arms to prevent them from sinking in the gravel base. My system has four lifters. I don't know if the six point systems have the same issue or not but I suspect that they do.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2016, 05:31 PM   #4

Electric Stabilizer vs Auto Leveling

I absolutely love my auto leveling system. I'm 65 and I intend to use this trailer till I'm 85. The system saves so much bending over, kneeling down, getting up and moving things around that it's well worth the money.

You do have to read the manual carefully. There are some tricks - but once you understand all the tricks, it's so easy.

I back in, depress the deploy front Jack's function, I un-hitch, press the auto level button, and while that's happening I hook up water and electric.
When we leave I press auto hitch, and the unit retracts the rear jacks and resets the front to hitch height, I hitch up, press auto retract all and off we go.

In the 20 or so times I've used it since we bought the trailer, it's only thrown an error twice. One time it failed a level but it was so close to level I just left it where it was. The other time it threw an out of stroke error, I retracted that foot put a block on it, hit auto level again and it worked.

I've been very happy with the system.

Buddy Ray - Atlanta
---------------
Jayco Eagle HT 26.5RLS
Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #5

Electric stabilizers are not worth a penny to me. They are more expensive to buy, they are slow and they are expensive to replace if they break. For way less money I can buy a 18volt power driller and a 3/4" socket and run my jacks down and up MUCH quicker. If the drill breaks, its cheaper to replace than the electric stab. If the stab jack breaks, its cheaper to replace than the electric stab.

Now, auto leveling is a different beast altogether. You push a button and walk away and it levels your trailer for you... that's worth some money to me. I would prefer a 6 jack system to a 4 jack system. Trailer frames aren't too rigid, so a 4 jack system would likely still have some shimmy and shake to it, whereas a 6 jack system would seem more secure to me.

I would have to try out an auto leveling system before I purchased, but if it makes a more solid platform that is less prone to movement, thats worth a couple grand to me. The ease of leveling would be an added bonus!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:05 AM   #6

More gizmo's equal higher cost and more failure points.

As far as I can tell, auto level and electric stabilizer jacks are solutions looking for a problem.

My time is not so important that I can't spend 4 minutes leveling and stabilizing with simple drill powered scissor jacks.

Other opinions will vary.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

When we ordered our rig new the electric Atwood 4 point Level Legs were an option we wanted. Never have 2nd guessed that option.

Our travels take us to places where the sites are typically NOT level. No boards or leveling blocks to run the rig up on one side to get 'close' to level. Being retired and at our age things like auto-level makes things so much easier.

Oh and the comment
Quote:
My time is not so important that I can't spend 4 minutes leveling and stabilizing with simple drill powered scissor jacks
scissor jacks are indeed meant to 'stabilize' but NOT to level or lift heavy weights.

Safe travels.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

I have the electric stabilizers on my 33rbts.If I could do it all over I would have stuck with the scissor Jacks.I have resorted to manually tightening them after they are lowered to try to apply more pressure without blowing a fuse.Even doing this I still have a lot of movement in my trailer.
Jackandcassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
When we ordered our rig new the electric Atwood 4 point Level Legs were an option we wanted. Never have 2nd guessed that option.

Our travels take us to places where the sites are typically NOT level. No boards or leveling blocks to run the rig up on one side to get 'close' to level. Being retired and at our age things like auto-level makes things so much easier.

Oh and the comment scissor jacks are indeed meant to 'stabilize' but NOT to level or lift heavy weights.

Safe travels.
Yeah, that's why I used the words "stabilize" and "stabilizer" in my post but thanks for the info.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:03 PM   #10

I agree with others here in that the electric stabilizers aren't worth the money. I would rather have saved the money and use the stabilizer scissor jacks with a cordless drill. I am curious as to how the new optional auto-leveling jacks will work out and if they offer more stability.
Jackandcassy, thanks for the tip on adjusting the electric stabilizers manually to snug them up better. I'll have to give that a try next time we are out to see if it helps.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #11

For me (70 years old now), Anderson levelers and scissor jacks for stabilization are quite sufficient. If I reach a point where I can't do that, then I'll be too infirm for camping anyway.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #12

[QUOTE=Hohenwald48;473764]More gizmo's equal higher cost and more failure points.

As far as I can tell, auto level and electric stabilizer jacks are solutions looking for a problem.

My time is not so important that I can't spend 4 minutes leveling and stabilizing with simple drill powered scissor jacks.

Other opinions will vary.[/QUOTET

That's how I mostly feel about them. But I do love the concept I would be tempted to order a new trailer that way especially if it was an option when we ordered ours. The trouble I have with all leveling systems is the fact that 75% of the time people still end up with blocks under the jacks or under the wheels. From what I here even the big Jayco Siesmics have issues with too short of a stroke on the jacks.

2017 F250 CCLB 6.2 4.30 gears
2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autoleveling stabilizing