Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

Electric tongue jack

Hi there I'm new to the forum. Actually new to the TT world just picked up our 2015 27 RLS it has an electric tongue jack. I was wondering is there a cut off switch to power so when it's parked in my driveway the kids in the neighborhood don't play with the controls. Thanks

Peter10414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:41 AM   #2

Probably the only way would be to pull the fuse, or install a battery cut off switch that can be "locked" so you shut power off to everything. Or maybe a waterproof switch specific for the jack mounted in the battery box lid or box itself if there is room.

Main battery switch is a good idea because the propane leak detector will kill the battery in no time unless your trailer is plugged in when stored at home.

Congrats on the new trailer! And read as much as you can for tips and tricks!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #3

Congrats on the new TT. We put a cover over ours to protect from the sun but it could serve as a dual purpose.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:56 AM   #4

A cover will serve that purpose well, and is a good idea anyway (for protection from water intrusion in my case) as is a cutoff switch to keep the battery from draining if you're not removing it completely.

Even with a cover, I still got water in my jack, and it is dieing a slow death as we speak. Never had a problem with people fussing with the jack.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:10 AM   #5

I have a key-operated battery disconnect switch (from a piece of heavy equipment). Just install it in-line on the ground wire (white) between your battery's neg post and the trailer frame. Besides disabling your tongue jack, it also disconnects power to the parasitic draws in your trailer - propane leak detector, sound system, etc - all of which can drain your battery in a couple of weeks. I also carry a couple spare in-line fuses for the tongue jack, in case one gets cooked. It doesn't happen often (probably never, since I have spares!), but when it does, there will be a whole lotta crankin' goin' on without that spare fuse.

I, too, keep a cover on my tongue jack head when parked - both at the storage spot and then again when I get situated at the CG. It keeps the sun, rain, snow, and ice from shortening its lifespan.

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
snip... It doesn't happen often (probably never, since I have spares!), but when it does, there will be a whole lotta crankin' goin' on without that spare fuse.
I don't mean to derail this thread, but since you mentioned it, it reminded me. I had a problem with my jack last time out that necessitated using the manual crank override, and I have to say, I almost don't want to bother fixing it.

The manual crank worked WAY better and FASTER than the jack ever did. And the effort to operate it was surprisingly little. I thought I would be cranking my little ol' heart out, but not so. The most annoying part is that I have to remove the propane tank cover to make a full rotation with the manual crank.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 07-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I don't mean to derail this thread, but since you mentioned it, it reminded me. I had a problem with my jack last time out that necessitated using the manual crank override, and I have to say, I almost don't want to bother fixing it.

The manual crank worked WAY better and FASTER than the jack ever did. And the effort to operate it was surprisingly little. I thought I would be cranking my little ol' heart out, but not so. The most annoying part is that I have to remove the propane tank cover to make a full rotation with the manual crank.
Really! I haven't had the pleasure of trying it on my new Jayco, but the one I installed on my Outback took FOREVER to crank the tongue up and down. (Don't ask how I know that and if that's how I discovered the need for spare fuses. )

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Scoutr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
Really! I haven't had the pleasure of trying it on my new Jayco, but the one I installed on my Outback took FOREVER to crank the tongue up and down. (Don't ask how I know that and if that's how I discovered the need for spare fuses. )
Yeah, needless to say, I was VERY surprised at how well it worked. Like I said, I almost said "forget it" to the power function. Got my eyes on a Husky Brute to replace the cheap Chinese garbage that came on the trailer. I may not even bother with a warranty claim as I have NO interest in replacing it with the same jack.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 07-16-2015, 11:51 AM   #9

I didn't mention it, but I keep a small kitchen garbage can flipped over on my Atwood power jack to help protect it from the sun and rain.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
I didn't mention it, but I keep a small kitchen garbage can flipped over on my Atwood power jack to help protect it from the sun and rain.
IMO, this is the best solution for the OP, and has the added protection benefits listed.

I have a can on mine, but it's starting to rot from exposure. I'll get a new one when I replace the jack and will treat it with Aerospace 303 periodically to protect it from the sun.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE