Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Electric Tongue Jack

Hello all,

Thought I'd ask the experts. My 23RB factory added Electric Tongue Jack only works when the 7 pin plug is connected to the tow vehicle. I would think that it would also work when plugged into AC power or on battery, but, it does not.

I thought it was odd when I got set up this weekend at the campground and went to make a slight adjustment to level the trailer and the jack wouldn't work. I thought our batteries (have two 12 volt batteries wired in parallel) might have been dead but were showing full charge. Plugged the trailer back into the tow vehicle and the jack worked fine.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
JLSheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSheldon View Post
Hello all,

Thought I'd ask the experts. My 23RB factory added Electric Tongue Jack only works when the 7 pin plug is connected to the tow vehicle. I would think that it would also work when plugged into AC power or on battery, but, it does not.

I thought it was odd when I got set up this weekend at the campground and went to make a slight adjustment to level the trailer and the jack wouldn't work. I thought our batteries (have two 12 volt batteries wired in parallel) might have been dead but were showing full charge. Plugged the trailer back into the tow vehicle and the jack worked fine.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Not normal in my experience. Check your inline power fuse, probably very close to the batteries. Also check to make sure your battery connections are nice and tight. I would also suggest checking the chassis ground connector, but I don't see how that could be loose with what you're describing.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:27 PM   #3

I suspect a grounding issue. The jack is getting ground thru the truck, not the camper.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
I suspect a grounding issue. The jack is getting ground thru the truck, not the camper.
That's probably it. I knew I was overlooking something.

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
Thanks for the quick responses guys. What should I look for in the grounding issue? I'm pretty darn handy but electrical has always been my weak spot.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #6

If grounding is the issue, then follow the white negative wire from your battery to the frame. Make sure the area where the bolt attaches to the frame is exposed metal, as in sand off the paint with sandpaper.

I would also check the inline fuse as rkresge stated. Sounds like it may be blown.

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #7

I would look at the ground in tow spots.

The white wire mentioned above. Remove the wire and sand the paint off. Before reassembly add a star washer between the frame and the lug. Tighten it down. The star washer will bit into both components, making a solid ground connection.

Probably not the issue, but, it will help with the Jack's performance. Do the same thing with one of the bolts that hold the jack to the frame. While the tongue is safely supported. Remove one tongue jack bolt. Sand the underside of the frame at that location and the topside of the Jacks bolt hole. Add two star washers. One to the top side between the bolt and the jack, and one on the underside, between the frame and nut. You now have a rock solid ground.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:05 PM   #8

I would look at the ground in two spots.

The white wire mentioned above. Remove the wire and sand the paint off. Before reassembly add a star washer between the frame and the lug. Tighten it down. The star washer will bit into both components, making a solid ground connection.

Probably not the issue, but, it will help with the Jack's performance. Do the same thing with one of the bolts that hold the jack to the frame. While the tongue is safely supported. Remove one tongue jack bolt. Sand the underside of the frame at that location and the topside of the Jacks bolt hole. Add two star washers. One to the top side between the bolt and the jack, and one on the underside, between the frame and nut. You now have a rock solid ground.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 07-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #9

Update:

Thanks everyone! I tried the easiest option first (which usually is NEVER the case) and it was just a blown out fuse. Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSheldon View Post
Update:

Thanks everyone! I tried the easiest option first (which usually is NEVER the case) and it was just a blown out fuse. Thanks again!
LOL, I thought of the fuse, but dismissed it as you said it worked when hooked up to the TV.

Power Jacks are notorious eaters of fuses. If you, over travel the distance, it pops the fuse. Carry lots of them or buy a replacement fuse that is self resetting circuit breaker.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 07-18-2016, 09:33 AM   #11

Always go for the obvious first..... says Mr. Obvious!!
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote