Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-22-2016, 04:56 AM   #1

Electrical box

We bought a 2014 Jayco 32BHDS and are getting ready for our first trip. i was getting ready to replace the e break switch (sucked up the cable into the weed eater) and noticed the electrical box on the front, it looks like a standard metal junction box for a house, is this how they come from the factory, i would think they would use plastic water tight boxes. Also what is the part called for the power wire block that is missing the cover.

and a bonus question, what does this strap go to, hs a loop in one end and a 4" plastic tube on the other, maybe 6ft long
Attached Thumbnails
20160621_181851.jpg   20160621_174151_001.jpg  
kohj1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:03 AM   #2

I have seen similar electric boxes on other units, I do not know what it looks like inside. Hopefully the wire junctions are sealed in some manner. As for your bonus question, I believe the pipe part goes in the grove of your awning and wraps up with it. When you want to open the awning, just pull the strap.
2008 Pilgrim 328 BHSS(sold)
1995 Jayco 264 BH(sold)
2012 Ram CC Cummins 4x4 SRW w/4.10 gears using Andersen Ultimate hitch
Rmgrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:14 AM   #3

I haven't opened it up yet. But screw holding it to the frame is rusted off so I'll be opening it up tonight.

Also we have electric awnings so I guess that it just comes with the trailer
Old 06-22-2016, 05:18 AM   #4

The strap is used "if" you have to roll it up manually.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Makes sense so I'll keep it in the trailer. Thanks
Old 06-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohj1978 View Post
We bought a 2014 Jayco 32BHDS and are getting ready for our first trip. i was getting ready to replace the e break switch (sucked up the cable into the weed eater) and noticed the electrical box on the front, it looks like a standard metal junction box for a house, is this how they come from the factory, i would think they would use plastic water tight boxes.
Yes, the electrical box you showed looks just like the one on my 2015. This is how they come from the factory. I have not pulled mine apart, but I would be surprised if they were sealed in any way. One of these days I will remove mine and replace it with a proper box.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
Yes, the electrical box you showed looks just like the one on my 2015. This is how they come from the factory. I have not pulled mine apart, but I would be surprised if they were sealed in any way. One of these days I will remove mine and replace it with a proper box.
Also, the red box in your first picture is a self-resetting breaker. The terminals look pretty badly corroded, I would replace that while you are working under there.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 06-22-2016, 07:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Also, the red box in your first picture is a self-resetting breaker. The terminals look pretty badly corroded, I would replace that while you are working under there.
OK I'll order one. What size should it be. I can't find it in any owners books. I think the camper is 30 amp. So would I use a 30 amp block
Old 06-22-2016, 08:09 AM   #9

Quote:
OK I'll order one. What size should it be. I can't find it in any owners books. I think the camper is 30 amp. So would I use a 30 amp block
Hopefully it will be written on the one you have. Usually, the breaker is larger than the current draw your trailer designed for. So a 30amp service would might use a 50amp self resetting breaker. Your local RV dealer should be able to help you out.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
Old 06-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #10

I'll look tonight. I'll have to call the dealer. my "local" dealer is an hour away.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:48 AM   #11

The junction box in question only contains low (12VDC) wiring. Same as the power used to operate your yard lights. Moisture is really not any kind of an issue. No need for it to be water tight. I think every trailer ever manufactured uses the same junction box.

The strap is for extending and retracting a manually operated awning. If your trailer has a manual awning over the door or any windows that's probably what it's for. Most awnings come with two straps. They have one installed and the 2nd is a spare. That's all I've ever seen the straps used for.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Can you explain how to use the strap the manually roll up an awning? I have an electric awning and never have been able to figure out how to roll it up in the event of a motor failure.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
Site Team

No need for that strap on a electric awning. Read the mfg instructions for rolling it up if you have a regular power failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
No need for that strap on a electric awning. Read the mfg instructions for rolling it up if you have a regular power failure.

Grumpy said the strap was used to manually roll up an electric awning. I was asking him to please explain the process. If a motor fails the normal power failure process will not work.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:31 PM   #15
Site Team

Grumpy need to splain how then.

Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
So a 30amp service would might use a 50amp self resetting breaker. .
30 amp breaker is what you want if you have 30 amp service. The regular blade fuse type are 30 amp fuses. I can not think of anything that will take 30 amps or more in a TT. Unless of course you have a electric tongue jack and run it too high or low which will blow the fuse. I would put that on its own fuse connected directly to the battery. I tagged everything in the box, just in case.

No the box is not sealed.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
ELECTRICAL - 4x4  Box Extension.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #17

Quote:
I think you might be getting the AC shore power confused with the DC power system. The wiring on the front of the trailer, in the box and the breaker in your picture are DC power components and low voltage 12VDC.

The 30 amp camper service you mention is the AC power system and not directly related to the items on the A frame.

A 30AMP DC breaker is completely different from a 30AMP AC breaker.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I think you might be getting the AC shore power confused with the DC power system. The wiring on the front of the trailer, in the box and the breaker in your picture are DC power components and low voltage 12VDC.

The 30 amp camper service you mention is the AC power system and not directly related to the items on the A frame.

A 30AMP DC breaker is completely different from a 30AMP AC breaker.
I did realize they were 2 different systems I just assumed they needed to match in amperage for the fuses. It was my understanding that dry camping running off batter power it still runs thru the inverter, so I figured they needed to be the same.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
30 amp breaker is what you want if you have 30 amp service. The regular blade fuse type are 30 amp fuses. I can not think of anything that will take 30 amps or more in a TT. Unless of course you have a electric tongue jack and run it too high or low which will blow the fuse. I would put that on its own fuse connected directly to the battery. I tagged everything in the box, just in case.

No the box is not sealed.

Don
I do have electric tongue jack, But I really only need to move it a about 8" up to connect, I know at the dealer when installing the WD hitch the guy was lifting the back of my truck with the thing. I was surprised that it didn't burn it out then, Im a neat freak with wires so ill have to label and clean up all the connections
Old 06-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Grumpy need to splain how then.

Zackly!